2016 3 tire compound rules

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
dans79

2016 3 tire compound rules

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122107
Following a meeting of the WMSC in Paris, it was confirmed that: "The tyre supplier will now provide three dry-weather compounds instead of two.

"Of the 13 sets of dry tyres available to each driver, the tyre supplier will choose two for the race (only one of which must be used in the race), and one set (the softest available) that may only be used in Q3.

"Each driver may then choose their remaining 10 sets from the three available compounds.
This could be really interesting, or a complete disaster!

Summary of the changes
  • New tyre added to the dry weather compounds: A purple banded Ultra-soft tyre, softer than the Super-soft tyre.
  • 5 Dry weather compounds in total next year.
  • Pirelli will now nominate 3 dry weather compounds for each race. Each team will choose 2 out of those.
  • The choices have to be relayed to the FIA, which relays it to Pirelli. Any team failing to do so within an undisclosed deadline before the event, will get its tyres choosen by the FIA.
  • Tyre choices of the teams will not be communicated to the public or shared among teams before 2 weeks of the event.
Last edited by turbof1 on 03 Dec 2015, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added summary of the changes.
197 104 103 7

trinidefender

Confirmed changes for 2016

Here is an FIA release about changes for next season,
http://www.fia.com/news/fia-announces-w ... ecisions-0

This part interests me a lot "The tyre supplier will now provide three dry-weather compounds instead of two"

Gatecrasher

Re: 2016 3 tire compound rules

As long as the softest compound can also last at least 10 race laps and not just be a one lap tire for qualifying I am all for this. We could see 1,2 and 3 stop strategies from different teams.

mclaren111

One of their better ideas I think =D> =D>

dodds_turbo

dodds_turbo wrote:
trinidefender wrote:Here is an FIA release about changes for next season,
http://www.fia.com/news/fia-announces-w ... ecisions-0

This part interests me a lot "The tyre supplier will now provide three dry-weather compounds instead of two"
With the introduction of the Ultra Soft tyres, the total possible dry-weather tyres available increases to five:
- Ultra Soft
- Super Soft
- Soft
- Medium
- Hard

(Plus Intermediate and full on Wet Tyres).

It makes sense to up the available tyres to 3. I love the fact the teams will have more choice for race strategy. They still only have to use two compounds, so some teams may be vastly better/ worse off by choosing the right/wrong tyres on the day. Would be interesting to see if Ferrari/Mercedes copy each other to make it even, or go their own way to see if they can gain an advantage.

Bring on F1 2016!! =P~
Last edited by dodds_turbo on 03 Dec 2015, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.

livinglikethathuh

Re: Confirmed changes for 2016

dodds_turbo wrote:
With the introduction of the Ultra Soft tyres, the total possible dry-weather tyres available increases to FIVE:
- Ultra Soft
- Super Soft
- Soft
- Medium
- Hard
Fixed.

I also think that this can introduce many viable strategies, it will be fun to see 1-2-3 stoppers fighting each other.

bauc

Re: Confirmed changes for 2016

As far as I understand the rules written by FIA in respect of the tire choices, the tyre supplier will chose one mandatory type of tire (example: Soft) where the team will have a choice for the second option to go with either the super soft or the medium (depending of the track it can be the ultra soft or hards). I'm reading this right?

Unless intermediate or wet-weather tyres have been used, a driver must use at least two different specifications of dry-weather tyres – at least one of these must be the one chosen by the tyre supplier.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

turbof1

Merged topics and moved topic to the correct subforum.
#AeroFrodo

bhall II

"Of the 13 sets of dry tyres available to each driver, the tyre supplier will choose two for the race (only one of which must be used in the race), and one set (the softest available) that may only be used in Q3.

"Each driver may then choose their remaining 10 sets from the three available compounds.

"Unless intermediate or wet-weather tyres have been used, a driver must use at least two different specifications of dry-weather tyres - at least one of these must be the one chosen by the tyre supplier."
I think it's a move in the right direction. It essentially brings back qualifying tires and seems likely to eliminate the step between race compounds we've seen over the last couple of years (depending on Pirelli's selection strategy).

It'll be interesting to see how they screw this up. :wink:

turbof1

Added summary to first post, added to the 2016 key threads and stickied the topic.
#AeroFrodo

notsofast

It's inevitable that the teams will mostly choose the same tires, which means that not much is really going to change.

turbof1

notsofast wrote:It's inevitable that the teams will mostly choose the same tires, which means that not much is really going to change.
That'll depend on how extreme the choices made by Pirelli are going and can be. If they opt for a very agressive qualifying tyre with conservative race tyres, teams will face a choice to sacrifice race performance for tyre performance and vice versa.
Chances are of course that on circuits like Monaco it does not matter at all.
#AeroFrodo

Joseki

I suspect nothing will change but if something will actually change it will surely change for worse like every new tyre rules. :roll:

SiLo

turbof1 wrote:
notsofast wrote:It's inevitable that the teams will mostly choose the same tires, which means that not much is really going to change.
That'll depend on how extreme the choices made by Pirelli are going and can be. If they opt for a very agressive qualifying tyre with conservative race tyres, teams will face a choice to sacrifice race performance for tyre performance and vice versa.
Chances are of course that on circuits like Monaco it does not matter at all.
I always hoped we would get this. So qualifying further up the field on a faster tyre vs lower for a better race tyre.
Felipe Baby!

ChrisF1

All teams will have worked out precisely how long that each tyre will do in the labs before the transporters are even packed to go to the track.

That is exactly what I hate about Formula 1. It's not done on track. The simulations decide everything and the drivers get told what they're doing and simply pilot the car to suit the delta.

There is no guesswork from the drivers, it's all done by the teams and should things deviate from the plan, the simulation guys back at the team bases are already recalculating.

Can you imagine anybody trying Hungary 1998 these days? It's one of Schumachers greatest victories, but no team would be brave (crazy?) enough to do it because the simulations wouldn't add up.

Everybody will be on the same tyres each race, and Pirelli will just be bringing extra for no real reason :roll: