2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

2015 QUALIFYING

2015 RACE RESULT

2015 POLE LAP

2016 TYRE CHOICE

GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

I must say, Mercedes are going for very aggressive strategy of SS-S-M, whereas Ferrari are probably planning, SS-M-M!!!

F1NAC

GPR-A wrote:I must say, Mercedes are going for very aggressive strategy of SS-S-M, whereas Ferrari are probably planning, SS-M-M!!!
I think Ferrari will also go SS S M,

SiLo

Mercedes look like they believe they can do most of the race on the soft tyre to be honest. And the medium is a back up choice for the race in case something happens again (like Australia).

Interesting to see how close Ferrari are here, last year they kept pace fairly well.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

SiLo wrote:Interesting to see how close Ferrari are here, last year they kept pace fairly well.
Didn't Merc have tire wear trouble hear last year?
197 104 103 7

F1NAC

it would be far more interesting if the race is held during day

digitalrurouni

GPR-A wrote:I must say, Mercedes are going for very aggressive strategy of SS-S-M, whereas Ferrari are probably planning, SS-M-M!!!
Exactly my thinking considering they did so few runs on the S and SS tires during testing. But I reckon the surface in Bahrain has much lower deg than Barcelona.

GPR-A duplicate2

dans79 wrote:Didn't Merc have tire wear trouble hear last year?
Ferrari had shown better times in Practice that had prompted Mercedes to do some changes for Race, which then created troubles for the breaking system. Both Lewis and Nico had break issues in the latter part of the race, but Nico completely lost break by wire system on his car, allowing Kimi to overtake him and take second position. But, there were no traces of tyre wear issues in race though.

SectorOne

I think Merc will go SS - SS - M or SS - M - SS
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

motobaleno

I don't think that mercedes is planning to use M during the race otherwise they would have chosen at least 2 (one to test during FP).
If they choose only the mandatory one it means that they consider it an emergency solution like in Australia

ferkan

Love Bahrain! Love the night race, there are plenty of overtakes and love the sector 2 on that track. Merc will be stonking here already can see, but Williams will move up aswell. They will have new nose and FW here.

Ferrari also with updates at Bahrain as confirmed by Arrivabene.

ME4ME

SectorOne wrote:I think Merc will go SS - SS - M or SS - M - SS
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/04/19/r ... -strategy/

used softs ~15 laps
new softs ~20 laps
new mediums ~25 laps

If we estimate that
used SS ~10 laps
new SS ~15 laps

Doing double stints on super-softs and a single stint on mediums will be very marginal. I think SS-S-M or even SS-M-M is much more likely.

A-Bap

digitalrurouni wrote:
Exactly my thinking considering they did so few runs on the S and SS tires during testing. But I reckon the surface in Bahrain has much lower deg than Barcelona.
Bahrain is pretty similar to Catalunya, where they used the mediums almost exclusively.

If we think about this, and consider their performance on mediums at Austraila and their rumored power gains, my hunch is they feel they can keep pace or lead with the mediums during the first, fuel-heavy stint. If this proves to be the case, I think we'll see them run at least 40 laps or perhaps more.

In stint 2 with the reduced weight they could quite easily adopt a two-stop strategy and control the rest of the race as needed, and provide for covering second half contingencies with the S, or in a pinch the SS.

On the other hand, I am sure they're factoring the risk of getting caught in a mid/lead pack train. If they feel that they're at risk for getting trapped like Lewis did, and need to avoid this at all costs, we could see them start on softs.

With respect to DF, if Monza is a 1 and Monaco is a 100, Bahrain is about a 55. So I wonder if they're going to continue to use barge fence or if we'll something more slippery...

BanMeToo

F1NAC wrote:it would be far more interesting if the race is held during day
I agree, I was never happy with this becoming a night race. Still seems wrong to me.

PlatinumZealot

SiLo wrote:Mercedes look like they believe they can do most of the race on the soft tyre to be honest. And the medium is a back up choice for the race in case something happens again (like Australia).

Interesting to see how close Ferrari are here, last year they kept pace fairly well.
Hmm... I wonder if they are trying to make up for lack of soft tyre testing over the winter? In other words stack up on soft and supersofts and just run them till no tomorrow in the free practice. Then for the race you go back onto the heavily tested, and mastered medium tyre.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏