2016 F1 Spanish Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

2016 F1 Spanish Grand Prix

Tire Choices for this year

Last year's pole lap:

The weather is expected to be cloudy, very humid, with the possibility of light rain come Saturday, the ambient temperatures and conditions will be very similar to testing, so lap times should be similar. They probably won't be because we'll see who's made progress and who hasn't as Barcelona is usually when teams bring their first upgrade package of the season.

The weather is going to favor the soft tire towards the end of the race especially if it remains cloudy throughout the day, the medium will still be the perferred race tire. It's been a weird year weather wise, it's usually much warmer this time of year in Barcelona. The hard tire will essentially be useless as it's no more durable than the medium tire, but with less grip. Most teams will do a two stopper, although a very aggressive three is possible

Here are the 2016 best testing times on the soft tires
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:23.009, Test Two, Day Three
2. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:23.022, Test Two, Day One
3. Felipe Massa, Williams, 1:23.193, Test Two, Day Three

Medium tires:
2. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:24.133, Test Two, Day Four
1. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:24.126, Test Two, Day Three
3. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1:24.611, Test Two, Day Two

This probably tells a more accurate picture, with Mercedes being on average about half a second per lap faster than Ferrari. It's close, and hopefully though not realistically, it'll be a smaller gap this weekend.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

Re: 2016 F1 Spanish Grand Prix

Mercedes was super dominant here last year, and from what we've seen so far this year I can't see them being beaten anytime soon. Ferrari will probably have their arms full of red bulls, let alone mercs.

ThumbsUp

The tires for Verstappen and Kvyat are also switched:

oT v1

Hoping the bulls can qualify ahead of the Williams to ensure they are fighting with Ferrari, should be a great contest (no disrespect to Williams but sometimes they are a rolling road block that even DRS trains cant get past). Macca for double top 10 as well!!!!
The Power of Dreams

Vasconia

Weather is quite rainy and cloudy now in Spain(with the exception of the north side) and temperatures are colder than usual. It would be great to see some rain on the weekend but I doubt it.

I expect a clear 1-2 for Mercedes with Ferrari in the second row. It will be interesting to see the TR-RB battle after all the noise haha.

Juzh

Vasconia wrote:It will be interesting to see the TR-RB battle after all the noise haha.
Will not happen on pace.

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:
Vasconia wrote:It will be interesting to see the TR-RB battle after all the noise haha.
Will not happen on pace.
Yeah, well to see Max stuck behind Sainz and Kvyat would be funny as well. :mrgreen:

iotar__

So with tyres this season after usual equalisation in F1 where all roads lead to one solution:
- it's still two compounds but one step softer and without whining about degradation
- two step difference is often fake, maybe ultra will change it
- there is whining about pressure and conservative choices instead. Can you really blame them? Teams showed they are too stupid to give them less safe choices: Ferrari at Spa '15 or when Williams got the set up wrong in China.

Predictions:
A. ;-) Versteppen will drive into back of someone's car and:
- they will replace him some 12 year old go cart kid
- the whole F1 will be praising this brave move or pretend it didn't happen
B. Either the best race of the season full of action, close fight between Ferrari and Merc or more realistically procession with car finishing in team pairs. Qualifying should at least be close so something might happen there.

WaikeCU

I'm thinking along the lines of Mercedes being incredibly fast again this weekend. Hamilton starting again on P10 with some technical issues with Rosberg again on P1. Only difference now is that Rosberg has his share of bad luck and has to retire from the lead during the race. Hamilton meanwhile has climbed back to P2 before taking over the lead. Eventually Hamilton will win the race:

1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Ricciardo
4. Raikkonen
5. Verstappen
6. Bottas
7. Massa
8. Grosjean
9. Alonso
10. Kvyat

JonoNic

Interesting point, all the British drivers are trailing their team mates at this stage of the season. This hasn't been the case for a while now. I only mention this because traditional British/English coverage of F1 will conveniently overlook this. Still early in the season tough
Always find the gap then use it.

Vasconia

It must be a massive conspirancy against British drivers. ;)

What I expect:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Vettel
4. Ricciardo
5. Raikkonen
6. Verstappen
7. Sainz
8. Alonso
9. Bottas
10. Kvyat

What I would like to see:

1. Vettel
2. Rosberg
3. Hamilton
4. Ricciardo
5. Sainz
6. Raikkonen
7. Bottas
9. Kyviat
10. Verstappen.

Nuvolari

godlameroso wrote:
Here are the 2016 best testing times on the soft tires
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:23.009, Test Two, Day Three
2. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:23.022, Test Two, Day One
3. Felipe Massa, Williams, 1:23.193, Test Two, Day Three

Medium tires:
2. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:24.133, Test Two, Day Four
1. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:24.126, Test Two, Day Three
3. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1:24.611, Test Two, Day Two

This probably tells a more accurate picture, with Mercedes being on average about half a second per lap faster than Ferrari. It's close, and hopefully though not realistically, it'll be a smaller gap this weekend.
In the 2014 and 2015 races, Mercedes first stints on used Mediums were in the mid to high 1m31s. Totally unchallenged. Ferrari/Williams had access to that kind of pace only in the second stint. If Ferrari are to take the fight to Mercedes, I think they ought to be in the 29-30s on the Softs. It will be interesting to look at some long runs during Practice.

Reading between the lines of data, I would put Rosberg quicker than Vettel by about 0.8-1.0s/lap last year in the race. Interestingly, that was about the same difference between them in quali.

godlameroso

IIRC they were pretty even with their race simulations. They started in the 30's and worked down to high 27's and low 28's on the final stint. The Ferrari's were actually faster in the second stint, but slower in the first and last.
Saishū kōnā

notsofast

Vasconia wrote:Weather is quite rainy and cloudy now in Spain
It never rains in Spain!

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:It must be a massive conspirancy against British drivers. ;)

What I expect:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Vettel
4. Ricciardo
5. Raikkonen
6. Verstappen
7. Sainz
8. Alonso
9. Bottas
10. Kvyat

What I would like to see: