2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Official Website:
http://www.mexicogp.mx

FIA Event and Timing Information:
http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-o ... rmation-19

Times and Stats:

Track Map:

Tyre Allocation:

Mandatory sets for the race (if dry):
  • One set of P Zero White medium
  • One set of P Zero Yellow soft.
2015 Qualifying Results:

2015 Race Results:

2015 Pole Lap:

World Drivers' Championship Standings:

World Constructors' Championship Standings:

Vasconia

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

I like the track tough last years race was a little bit underwhelming. I hope that being the second time and with 3 sort of tyres this time will be more exciting.

With that long straight RB should not be a problem for Mercedes so this time I hope to see Ferrari being the second fastest team. I am afraid that RB will end the season second because Ferrari has an incredible amount of bad luck and terrible strategies. But this race and Brazil should suit the Italian team.

I hope Nico can have a better weekend and secure the pole, a victory here could be almost definitive because Brazil is not a race that Lewis really likes.

Sunday cant come soon enough!

PlatinumZealot

Not too enthusiastic about the tyre selection. Last years race was a snoozer so i'm thinking maybe ultra, super, and soft would have been a better selection?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

F1Arg

Mercedes engineers seem to have made some kind of agreement. One driver does more testing in the harder compound and after two practices they have equal tyre choice. Then they switch for the next race.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:Not too enthusiastic about the tyre selection. Last years race was a snoozer so i'm thinking maybe ultra, super, and soft would have been a better selection?
Yesh, a more agressive selection could have been better. Pirelli is being too cautious.

raksf1

force india will outperform williams.....

iotar__

raksf1 wrote:force india will outperform williams.....
- ..before Hulkenberg gets his start collision, every time he qualifies high something happens (although he almost caused one in Japan). You could see he was cautious in USA and still Vettel managed to clip him :cry: .
- Track: From '15 I remembered straights and chicanes, probably different but felt a bit like Nurburgring.

Altitude: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... quote]“The turbo revolution does become higher at high altitudes, which means that the turbocharger must be of good quality and performance,” Honda’s engineers tell us, “but also the RPM of the compressor (MGU-H) is pulled higher along with the turbocharger and therefore loses regenerative efficiency.

“The engine will suffer the least,” observes Paul Monaghan, chief engineer - car engineering at Red Bull Racing. “All the other air-dependent systems, whether it’s brake cooling, engine cooling, gearbox, are going to struggle. In terms of running the car, we’re got to work with less air.”
The result will be a car more ‘opened up’ than usual, running maximised cooling packages.
[/quote]Mercedes :twisted: , they dominated but I thought it was a track where Ferrari were closer on pace than usual. Should be closer in '16.

Vasconia

iotar__ wrote: Mercedes :twisted: , they dominated but I thought it was a track where Ferrari were closer on pace than usual. Should be closer in '16.
But the race was a disaster and taking into acount how the season is going, a expect another strategy/mistake disaster. I hope I am wrong, though.

Juzh

I just hope we see some dope straight line numbers as this is the last time (probably) we'll see 360+ for a long time.

ChrisDanger

Just a note on the altitude...

7323 feet = 2.232 km :wtf:

f1316

Vasconia wrote:
iotar__ wrote: Mercedes :twisted: , they dominated but I thought it was a track where Ferrari were closer on pace than usual. Should be closer in '16.
But the race was a disaster and taking into acount how the season is going, a expect another strategy/mistake disaster. I hope I am wrong, though.
Plus Ferrari were inherently closer to Mercedes' pace this time last year.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't think they'll be close to Mercedes. I'm beginning to think Ricciardo was right about the Renault engine being almost on par with the Ferrari too since they don't suffer particularly from long straights any more.

Manoah2u

ChrisDanger wrote:Just a note on the altitude...

https://i.imgur.com/i7WUYfY.png

same as last year - and from the former era - so i don't see a problem here
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PhillipM

Honda might struggle given they don't flow as much air as the other engines to start with.

GPR-A duplicate2

Due to its high altitude and low density of air, a Monaco setup would only cause a Monza drag and needless to say a low down force effect for the cars. Once again, Red Bull should be flying here, albeit not as much as a Mercedes, but would most likely maintain a small gap to Ferrari. Force India should be good here and would be able to give Ferrari a run for its money.

ChrisDanger

Manoah2u wrote:

same as last year - and from the former era - so i don't see a problem here
One would think that, yes. I just didn't realise how much of an outlier this track was in that respect. It's certainly on the outer envelope of the car's design. And perhaps why we've seen things like this in the past.