2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

f1316 wrote:
f1316 wrote: I'm beginning to think Ricciardo was right about the Renault engine being almost on par with the Ferrari too since they don't suffer particularly from long straights any more.
As if by magic to reinforce my point:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... ow-843490/
This only confirms the idea that RB should be the greatest rival for Mercedes in 2017, if not directly the team to beat.

basti313

f1316 wrote:
f1316 wrote: I'm beginning to think Ricciardo was right about the Renault engine being almost on par with the Ferrari too since they don't suffer particularly from long straights any more.

Do not put too much into this. It has an agenda.
In reality Ham was cruising for 5 laps and when he picked up the pace on lap 6 he put a 0.5sec pace advantage on Ric with the harder tire. Between the stops Ham put additional 1.8sec on Ric.
So Merc was able not only to prevent an undercut on old tires, but to put something like 0.6sec per lap on the Bull on new tires.
No idea how one can talk about similar pace with these numbers.
Don`t russel the hamster!

foxmulder_ms

I agree, Hamilton was trying to save his engine, that simple really. I think Rosberg was doing the same. Even with the encouragement of the race engineer he did not want to go faster!.

GPR-A duplicate2

basti313 wrote:
f1316 wrote:

In reality Ham was cruising for 5 laps and when he picked up the pace on lap 6 he put a 0.5sec pace advantage on Ric with the harder tire. Between the stops Ham put additional 1.8sec on Ric.
So Merc was able not only to prevent an undercut on old tires, but to put something like 0.6sec per lap on the Bull on new tires.
Correct. Just to remind, while Lewis and Nico started the race on Softs, Ricciardo was on SuperSofts.

Plus, the way I think, Lewis was constantly bothered about his engine situation and Nico was more mindful of his championship and it can be safe to say, they both were cautious in how they were operating. On the other hand, neither Red Bull drivers had anything to lose and were definitely pushing to their maximum.

While I would like to believe that Red Bull are closing the gap, but knowing how Mercedes has been playing "Carrot and Stick" with Ferrari for the whole of last season, it isn't surprising to see Red Bull getting caught up with that game now. Hope things would be more even next year.

basti313

GPR-A wrote:
basti313 wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Correct. Just to remind, while Lewis and Nico started the race on Softs, Ricciardo was on SuperSofts.

Plus, the way I think, Lewis was constantly bothered about his engine situation and Nico was more mindful of his championship and it can be safe to say, they both were cautious in how they were operating. On the other hand, neither Red Bull drivers had anything to lose and were definitely pushing to their maximum.

While I would like to believe that Red Bull are closing the gap, but knowing how Mercedes has been playing "Carrot and Stick" with Ferrari for the whole of last season, it isn't surprising to see Red Bull getting caught up with that game now. Hope things would be more even next year.
I totally agree on "Carrot and Stick". Whenever Merc needs to pull the trigger in clean air they are off. There are only certain circumstances like Singapore brakes, where they hurt themselves with a too aggressive setup.

I do not agree on Nico in the first stint: I think Lewis did the smart thing many here predicted. I did not think this would be possible, but looking a the laptimes: Lewis was keeping Daniel at an astonishingly constant 1.2sec gap during the first 5 laps. Like this the Bull had no DRS to attack, but a nice slipstream to keep clean from behind. After 5 laps following two cars in dirty air in a 1sec gap Nico's tires were gone. He could not stay close behind Daniel and was in danger of an undercut from Kimi. Once he had clean air, he lapped 0.5sec faster, but that was not enough regarding the pace of Kimi and Max and 0.7sec slower than Lewis. Once the tires were exchanged, the Merc performance was equal until Nico was in the 1sec region of Daniel again.

The same may happen this weekend: If Nico falls behind again and can not immediately overtake, he will not be able to do anything but the undercut. This may work on a Ferrari, but not on a Bull.
Don`t russel the hamster!

ChrisDanger

If anyone's interested in the digital edition of the race programme for this weekend... It appears to be be a mix of Spanish and English articles.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/22f3dae9#/22f3dae9

Nuvolari

A Mercedes 1-2 with Rosberg winning to give us a more boring end to the Championship. I'm all for it though.

nevill3

I wonder what the qualifying time will be this, I expect at least a second quicker because the grip will be better than last year now that the tarmac has cured. Which tyres were used last year?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

godlameroso

I want to see Hamilton win and Rosberg get 3rd. Then in Brazil since there will be changing conditions similar to 2008 and 2012 we can watch total pandemonium and someone else win a race for once.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

I just want a close title fight for Abu Dhabi. Hamilton 6 points behind Rosberg.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ChrisDanger

Scrutineering yesterday.

Manjhi

ChrisDanger wrote:Scrutineering yesterday.

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/F ... 986503.jpg
Force India has the largest number of sticker for Mexican GP. It proves the commercial benefits of having Checo on your side. =P~ =P~

Levi's is the new sponser on the VJM09 this weekend.

About Williams vs Force India battle, I think VJM is one of the strong chassis under braking and it will help them in this race, the track shares many similarity with Baku track and Checo scored podium there, so we can expect a grand performance from this team.

Plus Mercedes will dominate this race, but which driver will win is a mistry.

Lets wait for FP2 before comparing RB and Ferrari.