2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

mika vs michael wrote:Ferrari seems to be in no man's land at the moment...
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/allis ... 50840/?s=1
Wow, I was expecting this it will be great for Mercedes though I dont think they need Allison. I would liked to see him back in Renault because he would be the true leader.

I am worried with Ferrari´s 2017 project. Who is currently in charge of the design of the new car?

Vettelswonmeover

I hear that Rory Byrne will be a consultant and mentor to Simone Resta. Simone Resta will be the designer in chief. He was JA's understudy. Binotto will be JA's direct replacements. Given the variety of aero parts and devices which have been tried by Ferrari since JA's departure, they are definitely trying something new. Byrne was present in the erra of wide tyres and ground effect cars. Surely he will be able to provide valuable info. The fixes on the S-F15T were suggested by Byrne after studying the data from the 2014 car. I hope for the best.
Honestly though, this era looks to be a battle between Mercedes and Red Bull. With JA's departure at Ferrari and Dennis' ouster at McLaren (which is expected to cost them in 160 million pounds in lost sponsorships), Merc and RB are the obvious title contenders really

Vasconia

Vettelswonmeover wrote:I hear that Rory Byrne will be a consultant and mentor to Simone Resta. Simone Resta will be the designer in chief. He was JA's understudy. Binotto will be JA's direct replacements. Given the variety of aero parts and devices which have been tried by Ferrari since JA's departure, they are definitely trying something new. Byrne was present in the erra of wide tyres and ground effect cars. Surely he will be able to provide valuable info. The fixes on the S-F15T were suggested by Byrne after studying the data from the 2014 car. I hope for the best.
Honestly though, this era looks to be a battle between Mercedes and Red Bull. With JA's departure at Ferrari and Dennis' ouster at McLaren (which is expected to cost them in 160 million pounds in lost sponsorships), Merc and RB are the obvious title contenders really
I mostly agree with you.

More than once Byrne´s collaboration has sold to raise the hopes of the fans, sadly without real results. But it seems that last time his help had a good influence. I really hope that Ferrari can build a good car but sadly it seems that Mercedes and RB will be ahead of the Scuderia.

This Winter will be too long!

Vettelswonmeover

Vasconia wrote:
Vettelswonmeover wrote:I hear that Rory Byrne will be a consultant and mentor to Simone Resta. Simone Resta will be the designer in chief. He was JA's understudy. Binotto will be JA's direct replacements. Given the variety of aero parts and devices which have been tried by Ferrari since JA's departure, they are definitely trying something new. Byrne was present in the erra of wide tyres and ground effect cars. Surely he will be able to provide valuable info. The fixes on the S-F15T were suggested by Byrne after studying the data from the 2014 car. I hope for the best.
I mostly agree with you.

More than once Byrne´s collaboration has sold to raise the hopes of the fans, sadly without real results. But it seems that last time his help had a good influence. I really hope that Ferrari can build a good car but sadly it seems that Mercedes and RB will be ahead of the Scuderia.

This Winter will be too long!
+1 to the hope of Ferrari building a good car. In an ideal world, Merc, Ferrari, RB and McLaren should have an equal chance of winning. Much like MotoGP this year where there were 9 different riders and 6 different teams (Yamaha, Honda, Ducati, Suzuki, LCR Honda, Marc VDS Honda) as winners. But I know this will not be possible. Still hope for the best!!

Vasconia

Vettelswonmeover wrote:
+1 to the hope of Ferrari building a good car. In an ideal world, Merc, Ferrari, RB and McLaren should have an equal chance of winning. Much like MotoGP this year where there were 9 different riders and 6 different teams (Yamaha, Honda, Ducati, Suzuki, LCR Honda, Marc VDS Honda) as winners. But I know this will not be possible. Still hope for the best!!
Indeed, this is what it should happen but always one or two of those teams fail to build such a good car. I can´t imagine how exciting could F1 be in this scenario. [-o< [-o<

I hope too that Sebastian will calm down, he has looked too fustrated this season, he needs to be positive because Ferrari is a very sensitive team with certain comments.

Vettelswonmeover

Vasconia wrote:
Vettelswonmeover wrote:
Indeed, this is what it should happen but always one or two of those teams fail to build such a good car. I can´t imagine how exciting could F1 be in this scenario. [-o< [-o<

I hope too that Sebastian will calm down, he has looked too fustrated this season, he needs to be positive because Ferrari is a very sensitive team with certain comments.
Yeah. I really want Sebastian to win a WDC with Ferrari. He was so inspiring in his first season at Maranello! Vettel's first season at Ferrari is what inspired my online name! But as per Leo Turinni, the phase he is undergoing what is called the Alonsofication phase. Growing frustration at going 2 steps backward after getting 1 step forward. Marchionne talking big just adds to the pressure. I hope Marchionne has learnt his lesson.

On a side note, Marchionne said recently that he is not going to throw more money at the team. Is that a veiled warning sign? I was worried when i read that. It seems to me that he wants to instill fear of failure in one way or the other!

mika vs michael

Hamilton slowed the pack immensely but still Vettel could not get by. I think in Ferrari they understood by the middle of the season that the car had some kind of flaw that no matter how much they would develop it, still it would not be able to match or be close to the Mercs. Maybe the flaw had to do with the inability to switch on tyres. So Ferrari shifted focus to 2017 early on. I hope they did...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

dobbster71

I too hope that Ferrari produces a competitive car for 2017. However, I can't help thinking that Rory Byrne is yesterdays man....

Still, one can live in hope.
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

mika vs michael

Each time Ferrari is in trouble we keep hearing that Rory Byrne is back helping the team...To me it sounds more like PR talk. I think they shifted focus to 2017 early in 2016 and that may at least help them being on even terms. I don't see them creating a dominating car but at least be on par with Mercedes and Redbull.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

bill shoe

Ferrari has continued their long-term excellence in F1, and yes I'm serious --

2016 is the 35th consecutive year that Ferrari has finished 4th or higher in the Championship. Incredible achievement, and there is surely no other team in any other sport that can claim anything like it.

nokivasara

bill shoe wrote:Ferrari has continued their long-term excellence in F1, and yes I'm serious --

2016 is the 35th consecutive year that Ferrari has finished 4th or higher in the Championship. Incredible achievement, and there is surely no other team in any other sport that can claim anything like it.
That is pretty impressive! Even more so if you don't count the Todt-era because whilst they always are in the top 4 they don't seem to be able to reach the #1 spot more than every now and then.

The last years have been very poor but still they are miles ahead of other former top teams that are struggling, like McLaren or Williams.
I'm not a Ferrari fan but if I was a racer I'd do anything to race for them. Must be a pedigree thing.

Vasconia

mika vs michael wrote:. I don't see them creating a dominating car but at least be on par with Mercedes and Redbull.
And this could be the best thing we can expect. They havent been so far this season but they seriously need to improve their in-season development. In 2015 and 2016 they have done a good job during Winter but this needs to be backed during the season.

And learn to have good strategies, indeed.

santos

bill shoe wrote:Ferrari has continued their long-term excellence in F1, and yes I'm serious --

That is a great achievement in F1... in other sports there are teams with even better results.

bill shoe

santos wrote:That is a great achievement in F1... in other sports there are teams with even better results.
This is me officially taking the bait and asking: What team in what other sport has finished each year in the upper 30-40% of their sport for 35 years running?

rscsr

bill shoe wrote:
santos wrote:That is a great achievement in F1... in other sports there are teams with even better results.
This is me officially taking the bait and asking: What team in what other sport has finished each year in the upper 30-40% of their sport for 35 years running?
I can only think of FC Porto in Soccer. They have an average finishing position in the Portuguese league of 2nd in the last 100 years and the last time they finished 4th or worse was 1975. But it is pretty similar for S.L. Benfica and Sporting Clube de Portugal who pretty much switch between the first 3 positions in the league every year.