2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
skoop

Re: 2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

GPR-A wrote:Mercedes has brought for themselves a unique sort of headache. They have hired a driver, who is contract bound for 2018 with another team.
Did I miss something? I thought that was pure speculation.
Would be strange of Toto to tell the media "Bottas can earn his seat for 2018" when Bottas has already signed a contract with Renault (for example) and that's already officially confirmed.

nevill3

I guess Toto would assume that if Mercedes continue to win Bottas would want to stay with them, so he needs to prove he is good enough to be retained for further seasons.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

astracrazy

skoop wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Mercedes has brought for themselves a unique sort of headache. They have hired a driver, who is contract bound for 2018 with another team.
Did I miss something? I thought that was pure speculation.
Would be strange of Toto to tell the media "Bottas can earn his seat for 2018" when Bottas has already signed a contract with Renault (for example) and that's already officially confirmed.
He needs to motivate him, make him believe that he isn't just a stop gap and that if he does well enough Merc would be willing to buy out his Renault contract?

Merc won't want him "shutting down" in the 2nd half of the season

SR71

Can someone please post a source for Bottas/2018/Renault?

Didn't think so.

nevill3

I have just received an email from Mercedes with a link to win VIP tickets, including travel, to testing at Barcelona

Any body interested click below

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/merced ... xperience/

It would be great for a member here to win and then post back all the juicy gossip first hand.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Pierce89

dans79 wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
Reason for this all is, like i stated previously, that the 2017 cars and tyres will be significantly different.
Yea, I pretty strongly disagree with this. None of the underlying design fundamentals have changed. The only thing that's different is the dimensions have changed.
The available downforce and extra mechanical grip will allow teams to all take a much larger departure from the norm this year. In 2009 the teams traditional year to year characteristics(idiosyncrasies?) were totally thrown out. Also, if any teams have to fundamentally change their suspension systems, they might be forced onto a totally different avenue of aero development based on the fact that pitch sensitivity may become a much larger problem,

I truly believe there's every possibility of another 2009.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Eddie_Temple

SR71 wrote:Can someone please post a source for Bottas/2018/Renault?

Didn't think so.

The source is GPR-A, completely reliable source.

Everyone knows this.
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

dans79

Pierce89 wrote: In 2009 the teams traditional year to year characteristics(idiosyncrasies?) were totally thrown out.
That's not a good example.
  • The FIA forced the removal of all the special aero elements.
  • The front wing wasn't just resized, They where drastically simplified conceptually (FIA).
  • Lets not forget the driver controllable front wing flaps (that no one really benefited from)
  • The DD was allowed
The DD, was probably the biggest differentiator, because it was a completely new research area.
197 104 103 7

Pierce89

dans79 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: In 2009 the teams traditional year to year characteristics(idiosyncrasies?) were totally thrown out.
That's not a good example.
  • The FIA forced the removal of all the special aero elements.
  • The front wing wasn't just resized, They where drastically simplified conceptually (FIA).
  • Lets not forget the driver controllable front wing flaps (that no one really benefited from)
  • The DD was allowed
The DD, was probably the biggest differentiator, because it was a completely new research area.
We dont know yet if its a bad example or not. The huge diffuser volume increase alone might be enough to totally transform wing design philosophy. Then you add the fact they've increased mechanical grip massively and moved the tires further from the chassis. The elements are there for a massive shake up, but whether we get it or not remains to be seen.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Sevach

"At least for this year..."

Webber2011

I'm not quite sure how Valtteri will go next year ?
There's so many variables that it's hard to predict.

The regulation changes might help even things out, but as has been mentioned Lewis' time, results, and presence within the team should still give him a slight upper hand.

One thing I can't discount, is Bottas is moving to a car that without doubt will be a massive upgrade from the Williams.

This to me is the most important thing because confidence is an incredible motivator.

Just look at Max this season.
He might be the next coming according to some, but the step up to a much more well oiled team and machine allowed him to shine with his new car quite quickly.

Same with Daniel Ricciardo's move to Red Bull.
Say whatever you want about Seb' having an off year, but Dan smashed him !

I believe it's much, much easier for a guy who's been in a midfield team to get to grips with a car that is way above anything he's driven to date.

If Bottas had stayed with Williams, (as much as I love them, they're my favourite team), I reckon he would have stagnated in a year or two, but first few laps in the Merc' are going put a massive smile on his face.

If he has the natural talent some think he does, there might be a few upsets this coming season because he's going to be on such a high that only driving the best car you've had to date can give you :wink:

Gridlock

Anyone got the track schedule for Silverstone over the next month? The noise one. Can't find it. Looking for "F1 team filming day" :D

Sevach

For the creative fellas on this forum.

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/merced ... ew-helmet/

Webber2011

Wow.

Down voted for thinking Bottas will do ok.

I guess there's a frightened Hamilton fan lurking among us lol !

NathanOlder

More likely the "Dan Smashed Him" bit. No doubt a Ferrari fan.

Now this will be down vote in

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC