Caterham CT-05 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
techF1LES

Re: Caterham CT-05 Renault

Last edited by techF1LES on 25 Oct 2015, 20:08, edited 12 times in total.

hurril

Just... wow! What an awesome project!

dero

torrent pretty please? :wink:

Henning

What amazing photographs and design documents. It's fantastic that Caterham have released these to a member of the public. Having all the moulds too will allow replacement parts to be built which can be a problem when maintaining old or one off cars.

Interesting layout of the peddles. Why are there two peddles per side? Does this give two different levels of braking and acceleration? What is the purpose?

https://twitter.com/KevTs/status/652946049045254146

RicME85

There isn't, its the peddle set up for each driver overlaid for comparison.

Henning

Wow, that is a fair bit of difference for each driver. I assumed they'd just move the whole assembly back and forth, not design a different one for each driver. I guess this is Formula-1 and they always find the expensive way to do things ;)

ScrewCaptain27

Just found this photo of the gearbox on Twitter:

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Blackout

2014 CT05 seat back electrical diagram

mycadcae

i like this...but come back caterham f1...
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

roon

The oil coolers appear as large or larger than the water coolers. This seems unique to the current formula.

In the 4th image, above the coil spring: What do ASCA & HALS stand for? Was this remote suspension element?

ScrewCaptain27

roon wrote:The oil coolers appear as large or larger than the water coolers. This seems unique to the current formula.

In the 4th image, above the coil spring: What do ASCA & HALS stand for? Was this remote suspension element?
Looking at those oil coolers I'm not surprised this car had such large sidepods. Yet their reliability was still poor AFAIR...
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

ScrewCaptain27

Caterham CT-05 Renault

Very interesting article on Mr. Thomas' website. Amazingly it says that the rear bellhousing had "space to spare". Looks like very poor packaging indeed.
http://www.caterhamf1.co.uk/2.html
Last edited by ScrewCaptain27 on 13 Feb 2017, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
- Serj Tankian

Pierce89

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:Very interesting article on Mr. Thomas' website. Anazingly it says that the rear bellhousing had "space to spare". Looks like very poor packaging indeed.
http://www.caterhamf1.co.uk/2.html
Well, John Iley is no chump. It was probably the only way to keep it cool enough on their miniscule budget.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mrluke

You also don't know when Caterham actually got access to the final design information for the Renault PU. Considering their financial status I imagine negotiations were lengthy!

ScrewCaptain27

mrluke wrote:You also don't know when Caterham actually got access to the final design information for the Renault PU. Considering their financial status I imagine negotiations were lengthy!
Makes sense I suppose, but I'm still quite surprised by some of the design choices.
- Serj Tankian