Caterham CT-05 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ScrewCaptain27

Re: Caterham CT-05 Renault

ImageImage
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

mrluke

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
mrluke wrote:You also don't know when Caterham actually got access to the final design information for the Renault PU. Considering their financial status I imagine negotiations were lengthy!
Makes sense I suppose, but I'm still quite surprised by some of the design choices.
My general impression from looking through the information is that for many elements the team knew that something would need to be accommodated in the space but they weren't sure exactly how big it was, where its connections would be or exactly how much cooling it would need. Therefore they designed a space / cooling capability that would definitely be sufficient. No doubt by the time they did know it was too far into the lead time to take advantage of the fact.

This is all based on assumption from hearing / seeing what happened with the 2014 Sauber.

ScrewCaptain27

Side view:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Blackout

mrluke

Just noticed that the ambient air is flowing into the outer ring of the Compressor rather than into the centre, effectively reversing the typical flow direction. Is this true for all the PUs?

Edit: okay that isn't quite right but the detail looks interesting.

Blackout

AFAIK only Renault uses that donuts-shaped air-box before the compressor.

Blackout

ScrewCaptain27

2014 Renault power unit
ImageImageImage
- Serj Tankian

ScrewCaptain27

2014 Renault engine blockImage
- Serj Tankian

Facts Only

I assumed that's a de-sensitisef model with the internal detail removed? If not I'm very surprised that they sent it out to a team.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

ScrewCaptain27

Facts Only wrote:I assumed that's a de-sensitisef model with the internal detail removed? If not I'm very surprised that they sent it out to a team.
Looks like a bare engine block to me. Definitely an official file, got it from Mr. Thomas' Twitter page this morning
- Serj Tankian

ScrewCaptain27

This pic really shows how far they go to save weight:
- Serj Tankian

ScrewCaptain27

CT05 roll hoop:
- Serj Tankian

Moose

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:This pic really shows how far they go to save weight:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201703 ... 9e84da.jpg
Hey, you can see how many parts there are in that CAD model - save 4g from each, and you've saved 4kg.

Blackout

roon wrote:The oil coolers appear as large or larger than the water coolers. This seems unique to the current formula.

In the 4th image, above the coil spring: What do ASCA & HALS stand for? Was this remote suspension element?
Yes.
The older version:
And H is for 'hydraulic' and S is for 'system'.
You're welcome.
:arrow: