McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM
385
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

No, it's just another bargeboard behind the main one.

Kalun
Kalun
1
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:00 am

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

Did anyone notice that McLaren has the tallest rake so far. With a taller diffuser, the height of the rake has more effect on downforce with every centimetre increase.

Image
McLaren 2017

Image
Ferrari 2017

Image
Mclaren 2016

muzzytt
muzzytt
0
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 am

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

PhillipM wrote:
No, it's just another bargeboard behind the main one.

I posted these pics originally and that is not a bargeboard if you look carefully it goes all the way under the sidepod .

I suspect this is whats feeding the coolers that used to sit on top of the engine.
This is why the intake is so small.

muzzytt
muzzytt
0
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 am

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

Is this a winglet or part of the brake duct area
?


Image

User avatar
Redragon
19
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

Kalun wrote:Did anyone notice that McLaren has the tallest rake so far. With a taller diffuser, the height of the rake has more effect on downforce with every centimetre increase.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... AIeGTx.jpg
McLaren 2017

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... f70h-2.jpg
Ferrari 2017

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2016-b.jpg
Mclaren 2016
You can not really say as the camera point of Mclaren pictures is situated higher than the Ferrari one, so the perspective is different, also the shadow underneath of the Mclaren is fake and added with photoshop probably so it looks there is more space underneath of the car. We would have to wait to see them on the race track next week to determinate which car has more rake on similar conditions.

DarkAlman
DarkAlman
7
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:25 am

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

I saw that too, I could have sworn I saw a picture with an over/under intake sidepod duct but I'm probably just hallucinating. My first thought was a lower set of air intakes for a water/air interooler?

The cooling ducts for the side pods seem very small compared to other cars, and the engine air intake is quite small. McLaren seem to be the only ones so far to not follow suit with Mercedes and use a large split duct above the drivers head.

Random thought, you can't make a hole in the diffuser floor but can you make a hollow floor and run air through it?


No T-wing? but I wouldn't be surprised to see on on the car next week, they have the very tall shark fin to support one.

User avatar
mclaren111
279
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Shithole - South Africa

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

Saw this on Autosport:
Gary Anderson: How McLaren's innovation goes beyond its livery
McLaren's new livery stole the show at the launch of its MCL32, but the new colours are covering lots of impressive detail as well as a new era at Woking begins
I do not have access. Anyone out there that can tell us what Gary says ?? THX

User avatar
Alonso Fan
10
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

If you look closely at how high the floor reaches up the rear tyre on each car, it seems McLaren have the highest rake so far
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

trinidefender
trinidefender
317
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

A key difference in design philosophy, especially compared to the Merc is how the front of the floor is supposed to work. McLaren have seemed to designed the floor and the lower part of the barge boards (and also mid body turning vanes) to promote lateral flow lower down. Merc on the other hand has done almost the exact opposite and it looks like they are trying as much as possible to straighten their airflow. Nice to see some variation in design.

Looking at the space behind the back of the bodywork and the arch for the wing support I'll be very surprised if we don't see some sort of extra bodywork or T wing show up for testing.

Also look at how the back of the shark fin is shaped....In fact I'll be very surprised if they don't put something there.

Image

I'm working on a theory about the front floor and T-tray area that is similar to other teams but places 2 vortices under the floor at a slightly different location than other teams.

GoranF1
GoranF1
155
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

mclaren111 wrote:Saw this on Autosport:
Gary Anderson: How McLaren's innovation goes beyond its livery
McLaren's new livery stole the show at the launch of its MCL32, but the new colours are covering lots of impressive detail as well as a new era at Woking begins
I do not have access. Anyone out there that can tell us what Gary says ?? THX
I know someone who does, i asked him, will let you know!
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Silent Storm
Silent Storm
111
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

PhillipM
PhillipM
385
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

The more I look the more the size of those air intakes surprises me, either they're taking air from elsewhere or that Honda motor has had a massive efficiency leap.

ncassi22
ncassi22
31
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:26 am

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

PhillipM wrote:The more I look the more the size of those air intakes surprises me, either they're taking air from elsewhere or that Honda motor has had a massive efficiency leap.
I have a theory on this. They'll add a mp4-23/ferarrari sf70 style barge board slightly infront of the pod attached to its lower edge. You can see the how the horizontal winglet attached to the launch spec barge board turns the air downwards and outwards. If the pod entry stays vertical as it is now less air gets into the pods. Adding a turning vane/barge board attached to the front of the the lower part of the pod opens up the angle for air entry.

ncassi22
ncassi22
31
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:26 am

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

ncassi22 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:The more I look the more the size of those air intakes surprises me, either they're taking air from elsewhere or that Honda motor has had a massive efficiency leap.
I have a theory on this. They'll add a mp4-23/ferarrari sf70 style barge board slightly infront of the pod attached to its lower edge. You can see the how the horizontal winglet attached to the launch spec barge board turns the air downwards and outwards. If the pod entry stays vertical as it is now less air gets into the pods. Adding a turning vane/barge board attached to the front of the the lower part of the pod opens up the angle for air entry.
Making the effective entry larger.

Image

PhillipM
PhillipM
385
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Post

I'm not convinced on that one, that would be hamper the expansion into the sidepod itself.