Toro Rosso STR12 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Toro Rosso STR12 Renault

This the official car topic about the 2017 Toro Rosso contender, the STR12. The official name is subject to change whether Toro Rosso is going for engine rebranding or not. This thread will handle more stringent rules:

-Absolutely no livery talk in the car topic. Liveries are by nature topics assigned to the team thread, and should be discussed there. Posts about liveries in the car thread will be removed. Livery, sponsoring and any other none-performance hardware features of the car go to the team thread.

-Discussion about the car's hardware only. No discussion about the laptimes (should be discussed in the testing or race threads; test thread is here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=25963). No speculation or rumors towards future features of the car; no speculation about the competitive performance (car beats car B but car C, etc.). Such discussions will be removed as well.

-Discussion about the Power Unit should belong in its respective PU topic. How the car's chassis and bodywork is adapted to it remains in the car thread, but pure features of the PU don't go there. Since this is quite a grey area, we will not remove transgressions on that front, but will move them when appropiate.

That might sound strict and is infact so, but this is done to safeguard the topic quality. A fair warning that we will be extremely strict this year! If you don't find anything worthwhile to post, please resist the urge and do not post. There is nothing wrong with that and is infact the better option when there's nothing new.

Topic will be opened once the car has been officially launched, which is February the 26th.
#AeroFrodo

proteus

Re: Toro Rosso STR12 Renault (subject to change)

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

walter

the sidepod undercut is very good, allowing for more air volume to the rear diffuser. I like the narrow nose design, I think the bargeboards will help mitigate the effect of the nose variance on the cars this year.

nevill3

Image from the Toro Rosso website
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

nevill3

Front view from their website too

Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Yurasyk

One more hole in a nose.

Predator

Holm86

walter wrote:the sidepod undercut is very good, allowing for more air volume to the rear diffuser. I like the narrow nose design, I think the bargeboards will help mitigate the effect of the nose variance on the cars this year.
These extreme undercuts seems to have been STR's philosophy the latest years. And as usual they produced at very beautiful looking car. These new colours look good on it too. Great job

lio007

Just realized, there is no Renault branding on the car, maybe ít will be really rebadged like the TagHeuer-PU.

f1rules

that is one very beautiful car in my opinion

f1316

Lovely looking car and the paint job much more on brand than the actual red bull imo.

So the Toro Rosso has both the Merc style nose and front suspension; does that imply that somehow those two things work well together? That the airflow coming off this, lower, nose benefits from a higher upper wishbone? Or just coincidence?

Edit: Big ass monkey seat - also like a Mercedes !
Last edited by f1316 on 26 Feb 2017, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

dren

Another good looking TR car. Lower front wishbones like the old Merceds yet the upper is similar to the W08.
Honda!

Morteza

Gorgeous car! As much as I was disappointed by RB's presentation of RB13, I'm very pleased with STR12's launch. Love the new livery as well. Gives the car and team a new character. And is STR Mercedes' B team? :wink: Some similar design cues going on :mrgreen:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ziggy

That is how a modern f1 nose has to be done. Bravo TR.