McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

godlameroso wrote:Maybe Honda is wanting some feedback from the mechanics? A good mechanic always has valuable feedback for things like part layouts, and why some parts fail and some don't.
Wishful thinking buddy :( :( :(

Edit: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mclaren111 on 10 Mar 2017, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Jef Patat

Read that post again, and again, and again until you start laughing, then move on :wink:

FW17

wesley123 wrote:
FW17 wrote:Just look at the airflow from where the Richard is...... Air stream from so high up is going down the undercut
Considering the intake shape of the Ferrari it is reasonable to assume that that isn't bad.
The red bull on the other hand, the air feeding the side pod inlet goes straight in with no disturbances
The flow-vis expands the closer it gets to the sidepod intake, its trail seem to match the flow-vis on the McLAren fairly well. The green flow-vis seems to align with the top and bottom of the intake, and the same goes for the McLaren.
a separate channel is provided for the undercut. And look for the disturbance, hardly any
The Red Bull image hardly gives the whole situation as only the lower part has received flow-vis, and here too you see a very similar pattern; Air flowing downwards.

And air flowing downwards is not a bad thing. The winglets on the top of the sidepod direct air away from the top surface of the sidepod, and it's shape does the same. Thus, it is probably desirable to have air flow downwards into the undercut rather than have it over the sidepod
Why is taking air down from front of the side pod opening a good thing?

godlameroso

mclaren111 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Maybe Honda is wanting some feedback from the mechanics? A good mechanic always has valuable feedback for things like part layouts, and why some parts fail and some don't.
Wishful thinking buddy :( :( :(

Edit: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's actually quite realistic, other non F1 racing teams(mostly drag racing) do it.
Saishū kōnā

wesley123

FW17 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
FW17 wrote:Just look at the airflow from where the Richard is...... Air stream from so high up is going down the undercut
Considering the intake shape of the Ferrari it is reasonable to assume that that isn't bad.
The red bull on the other hand, the air feeding the side pod inlet goes straight in with no disturbances
The flow-vis expands the closer it gets to the sidepod intake, its trail seem to match the flow-vis on the McLAren fairly well. The green flow-vis seems to align with the top and bottom of the intake, and the same goes for the McLaren.
a separate channel is provided for the undercut. And look for the disturbance, hardly any
The Red Bull image hardly gives the whole situation as only the lower part has received flow-vis, and here too you see a very similar pattern; Air flowing downwards.

And air flowing downwards is not a bad thing. The winglets on the top of the sidepod direct air away from the top surface of the sidepod, and it's shape does the same. Thus, it is probably desirable to have air flow downwards into the undercut rather than have it over the sidepod
Why is taking air down from front of the side pod opening a good thing?
I do not know, just like how you do not know, nor can conclude that it's flow-vis is 'bad'.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Moose

FW17 wrote:Why is taking air down from front of the side pod opening a good thing?
Because it's more air that's flowing down the side of the side pods, and over the top of the diffuser, which is driving the diffuser harder.

Yurasyk

aleks_ader wrote:
SaturnVF1 wrote:I haven't seen one of those hub arm things in a while. It must be for a sensor but what does it do?

Also, I hope whatever needed to be loctited was and someone just forgot to take off the label. :lol:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2yoo8yu.jpg
Torque measuring combined with air pressure measurement rake.
It is simply to make the aero rake fixed relative to the wheel axis not to the monocoque.

makecry

Fifty wrote:Has Honda or rather mclaren explained what it is that is making the car down on power and unreliable?

I am pretty sure it's the PU :P :P

Fifty

Lol!!!!
You know what I mean!!!
Some thread was blaming it on the electric hybrid system saying it was low on hp. But I thought it was the ICE that had the issues.

zac510

They are not being terribly open about precisely what the problems are, but in the Honda Power Unit thread there is discussion about heat and vibration of the electronics.

GhostF1

Fifty wrote:Lol!!!!
You know what I mean!!!
Some thread was blaming it on the electric hybrid system saying it was low on hp. But I thought it was the ICE that had the issues.
Check the Honda power unit thread. There's a wealth of technical speculation and discussion going on there.

proteus

Sirotkins observations about the car:

"The midfield looks very close, and all of these teams are part of it. McLaren and Sauber look like they're trailing.

The former is a dark horse so far. Because of all the team's issues, I've only seen the MCL32 on track two or three times. The lack of power is immediately obvious, which could be down to the engine mapping the team used in the test. Through the corners, the car leaves a better impression."
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Singabule

In connection to Last year suspension dancing problem, with lack of testing and trial engine mapping would hide this problem in first races. I hope MCL chasis technician can mitigate this issue faster, but with current condition May impossible i think. Hope their aero work, and 1,7 degree rake more optimum than 1,9 [-o<

mclaren111

Singabule wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 08:16
In connection to Last year suspension dancing problem, with lack of testing and trial engine mapping would hide this problem in first races. I hope MCL chasis technician can mitigate this issue faster, but with current condition May impossible i think. Hope their aero work, and 1,7 degree rake more optimum than 1,9 [-o<
I read an article where Matt Morris said that they were able to check if last year's problem was solved and he confirmed it was. Will look for the article and post it asap

Manoah2u

proteus wrote:
19 Mar 2017, 22:16
Sirotkins observations about the car:

"The midfield looks very close, and all of these teams are part of it. McLaren and Sauber look like they're trailing.

The former is a dark horse so far. Because of all the team's issues, I've only seen the MCL32 on track two or three times. The lack of power is immediately obvious, which could be down to the engine mapping the team used in the test. Through the corners, the car leaves a better impression."
Sirotkin, really? :lol:
why on earth would anybody take Sirotkin's opinion as serious and more, why would anyone ask his opinion?
he is not part of F1 at all, but a mere 'test/development' driver with a big money backing thanks to daddy,
just like Stroll.

I'd take Maldonado's opinions over him a thousand times and i haven't even read about Maldonado.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"