2017 Renault Sport F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 Renault Sport F1 Team - Renault

f1316 wrote:
03 May 2017, 11:09
They would probably replace Palmer with Sirotkin if they do it mid-season - although to me that's also pretty boring and I wouldn't expect him to be close to Nico's pace.

But I think Alonso for next year is plausible. I suspect Renault will end the season as clear 4th fastest and if their pace remains close to RB it speaks of good potential. Fernando probably will have a straight choice between Mclaren and Renault, so it will likely depend on whether Mclaren make progress and /or he enjoys Indy and thinks they'll give him other options of this type going forward (e.g. le mans).
Alonso will not return to Renault. He has only two chances, McLaren or to retire.

marmer

Why would he not go back he went back to McLaren

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

f1316

Vasconia wrote:
04 May 2017, 10:55
f1316 wrote:
They would probably replace Palmer with Sirotkin if they do it mid-season - although to me that's also pretty boring and I wouldn't expect him to be close to Nico's pace.

But I think Alonso for next year is plausible. I suspect Renault will end the season as clear 4th fastest and if their pace remains close to RB it speaks of good potential. Fernando probably will have a straight choice between Mclaren and Renault, so it will likely depend on whether Mclaren make progress and /or he enjoys Indy and thinks they'll give him other options of this type going forward (e.g. le mans).
Alonso will not return to Renault. He has only two chances, McLaren or to retire.
And you know this for sure because...?

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
04 May 2017, 12:02
Vasconia wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Well, I haven´t said its "for sure" but Renault has said that Alonso, even being one of the best, is not a target for the team.

There is no place for him in Red bull, Ferrari or Mercedes. I dont think he wants to go to Williams, so.... which are the real chances for him??

f1316

Vasconia wrote:
04 May 2017, 15:36
f1316 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Well, I haven´t said its "for sure" but Renault has said that Alonso, even being one of the best, is not a target for the team.

There is no place for him in Red bull, Ferrari or Mercedes. I dont think he wants to go to Williams, so.... which are the real chances for him??
Ok, just that you sounded quite definitive.

I'd personally be surprised if they didn't go for him if he was available - suggest they're just not chasing him as a 'target' - but I guess it depends on whether he wants to put up with McLaren any longer.

marvin78

f1316 wrote:
04 May 2017, 16:43
I'd personally be surprised if they didn't go for him if he was available.
If you can't give him a race winnig car, Alonso is rather useless. If you don't believe the "magician" Bullshit and think of a very good driver but not god, there is no reason to be surprised.

f1316

marvin78 wrote:
07 May 2017, 10:00
f1316 wrote:
I'd personally be surprised if they didn't go for him if he was available.
If you can't give him a race winnig car, Alonso is rather useless. If you don't believe the "magician" Bullshit and think of a very good driver but not god, there is no reason to be surprised.
Ok. I don't agree - I think he's the best driver on the grid for maximising his position regardless of the quality of the car; some of his points paying positions last year were well in excess of what Button - a world champion - could manage all year, and Alonso did it multiple times, which made a big difference to the final constructors position.

So I think there's a massive gain for a team like Renault to have a driver like that, even if next year they're looking at maximum podiums rather than race wins. But anyway, we can agree to disagree.

wesley123

f1316 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
f1316 wrote:

I'd personally be surprised if they didn't go for him if he was available - suggest they're just not chasing him as a 'target' - but I guess it depends on whether he wants to put up with McLaren any longer.
Alonso is a great driver, but why would you, as a new team that is still rebuilding, go for a driver who is on his last legs of his F1 career? You'd be better off signing a youngster like Renault did in 2002 with Alonso.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

f1316

wesley123 wrote:
07 May 2017, 11:34
f1316 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Alonso is a great driver, but why would you, as a new team that is still rebuilding, go for a driver who is on his last legs of his F1 career? You'd be better off signing a youngster like Renault did in 2002 with Alonso.
I'd suggest there's a lot of value in experience during a building phase and that the kind of input an Alonso could bring would be very valuable - I think some (e.g. Brawn) would argue that Schumacher's input was very useful during Mercedes' gradual improvement pre hybrid, and helped to set the foundation for future success.

It might still be too slow for Alonso - and he might prefer the prospect of competing in Indy and Le Mans every year with McLaren whilst still helping build that F1 project, rather than move up a bit with Renault but still not win championships, also losing those outside opportunities he'd have at McLaren (it seems) - but I can't see how it would be anything but a benefit for Renault.

I also think Hulk could probably learn a lot from Fernando about maximising opportunities - I'm a big Hulk fan but he seems to have difficulty turning his pace into top results, whereas Alonso is almost the opposite - he seems to have a way with getting results even when the pace ain't great.

SR71

f1316 wrote:
07 May 2017, 13:22
wesley123 wrote:
f1316 wrote:

I'd suggest there's a lot of value in experience during a building phase and that the kind of input an Alonso could bring would be very valuable - I think some (e.g. Brawn) would argue that Schumacher's input was very useful during Mercedes' gradual improvement pre hybrid, and helped to set the foundation for future success.

It might still be too slow for Alonso - and he might prefer the prospect of competing in Indy and Le Mans every year with McLaren whilst still helping build that F1 project, rather than move up a bit with Renault but still not win championships, also losing those outside opportunities he'd have at McLaren (it seems) - but I can't see how it would be anything but a benefit for Renault.

I also think Hulk could probably learn a lot from Fernando about maximising opportunities - I'm a big Hulk fan but he seems to have difficulty turning his pace into top results, whereas Alonso is almost the opposite - he seems to have a way with getting results even when the pace ain't great.

If you want input during a building phase you want someone like Kimi. Just look at Ferrari.

If you want someone to drive around the problems you or you're PU supplier lack ability to fix, you want Alonso.

Is renault really trying to drive around problems without actually fixing them?

If so yes, hire Fred. Although your problems won't go away due to lack of feedback.

But you'll score points.

f1316

SR71 wrote:
08 May 2017, 08:12
f1316 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

If you want input during a building phase you want someone like Kimi. Just look at Ferrari.

If you want someone to drive around the problems you or you're PU supplier lack ability to fix, you want Alonso.

If so yes, hire Fred. Although your problems won't go away due to lack of feedback.

But you'll score points.
I know what you're saying - and I often speculated whether this was a problem with Alonso at Ferrari - but I don't know if there's any proof that Alonso doesn't give/gives bad feedback. Would be genuinely interested to know if you have some - even if anecdotal.

I suspect you're right that he's no Schumacher in that department (is Kimi really good with feedback though? Or is he just so tied to one particular driving style that he doesn't stop banging on about the front end?), but then I don't have a great deal to base that on barring just general impressions.

ME4ME

I think there are two prime candidates for 2018: Sainz and Perez.

They are reasonably young, they are talented, experienced and highly motivated and relativly cheap. Renault do not need an old, expensive and potentially bad tempered driver.

marmer

Renault did a good job in pre season on pure pace assuming they have the same spec engine as toro rosso

AUS
8 55 Carlos Sainz TORO ROSSO 1:25.542 1:24.997 1:24.487 16
9 26 Daniil Kvyat TORO ROSSO 1:25.970 1:24.864 1:24.512 16
12 27 Nico Hulkenberg RENAULT 1:24.975 1:25.091 12

CHINA
7 27 Nico Hulkenberg RENAULT 1:34.453 1:33.636 1:33.580 16
9 26 Daniil Kvyat TORO ROSSO 1:34.440 1:34.034 1:33.719 17
11 55 Carlos Sainz TORO ROSSO 1:34.567 1:34.150 11

BAH
7 27 Nico Hulkenberg RENAULT 1:31.057 1:30.169 1:29.842 15
10 30 Jolyon Palmer RENAULT 1:31.458 1:30.899 1:31.074 15
11 26 Daniil Kvyat TORO ROSSO 1:31.531 1:30.923 12
16 55 Carlos Sainz TORO ROSSO 1:32.118 5

RUSSIA
8 27 Nico Hulkenberg RENAULT 1:35.507 1:35.328 1:35.285 21
11 55 Carlos Sainz TORO ROSSO 1:35.827 1:35.948 18
13 26 Daniil Kvyat TORO ROSSO 1:35.984 1:35.968 18

quite interesting to see that apart from AUS Renault have been the quicker team in qualification despite how the toro ross looks at lauch they are certainly not limited by there engine as Renault and Rebull are faster. over the season Renault might pull away from Torro Rosso and more towards Redbull specifically if palmer pulls his finger out

FrukostScones

Renault commited to helping Palmer improve.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... er-improve
Such nic e guys they are, aren't they.^^
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

GoranF1

f1316 wrote:
08 May 2017, 10:00
SR71 wrote:
08 May 2017, 08:12
f1316 wrote:

But you'll score points.
I know what you're saying - and I often speculated whether this was a problem with Alonso at Ferrari - but I don't know if there's any proof that Alonso doesn't give/gives bad feedback. Would be genuinely interested to know if you have some - even if anecdotal.

I suspect you're right that he's no Schumacher in that department (is Kimi really good with feedback though? Or is he just so tied to one particular driving style that he doesn't stop banging on about the front end?), but then I don't have a great deal to base that on barring just general impressions.
Mclaren and Renault have similar potential for 2018 in terms of PU prospect,budget prospect but Mclaren has a lot better aero and chassis potential(human resources)....Alonso better off staying in Mclaren, during Lotus days soooo many good aero people have left Enstone.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."