2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FW17

Re: 2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

Any Pics, I thought McLaren and Sauber systems were similar in the first race, while Ferrari had a Acer duct

Sauber ramp was tested later in the season

GPR-A duplicate2

FW17 wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 08:54
Any Pics, I thought McLaren and Sauber systems were similar in the first race, while Ferrari had a Acer duct

Sauber ramp was tested later in the season
Sauber C31

Red Bull RB8 - Launch spec used at first few races

Red Bull RB8 - Improvised version of Sauber Exhaust - Used for later part and in 2013

McLaren MP4-27

Vanja #66

RB used two solutions going into 2012 - Seb used launch spec sometimes, Webber used Coanda exhaust solution...

2012 China GP
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

seezung

I think this should be the topic for a bit of speculation if Im correct about the Spain updates.

User on the Verstappen forums has posted some speculation about the RB13b ( Called RB14 ) which is being introduced in Spain. Last year he had some posts where he said that Verstappen would be promoted to RB-Racing before it was announced. Still speculation though, but might be hopefull for any RB fans.

Source https://forum2.verstappen.nl/index.php? ... c#msg_2536
Translation: "Well, It's one year ago I was first to announce the transfer of Max to RB. Normally I don't post much, unless there is some spectacular news.
For FP1 in spain, Red Bull will present the RB14 to the public. The RB14 will be a replacement of the RB13 and features a few interesting changes. Most importantly the suspension, the rake and the nose. Newey designed the nose (on the RB13) with a specific innovative mindset on how to guide the airflow around the car. This didn't seems to work optimally, and Schummi (forum user) already pointed out how and why. Heads up, I'm not a technician, but the RB simulator results of Max show an improvement of 1.3 to 1.5 seconds per lap compared to the RB13. In real world practice this should mean an improvement of one second per lap.
Renault has decided, based on this input, to adjust the engine to increase reliability, before increasing the power output. This means the Renault manufacturer team has set its eyes on keeping its current posistion.
Of course, we will have to wait and see, but similar to last year, the source is straight from Milton Keynes."

Artur Craft

:shock:

If the car really improves by that much, then it will corner A LOT faster than Ferrari and Mercedes because, as it was on Bahrain and Sochi, Red Bull already had the cornering speed of Ferrari and Mercedes even with their sleek car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LytDgckaIGo
http://motorsportzone.blogspot.com/2017 ... fying.html

Cold Fussion

Artur Craft wrote:
08 May 2017, 17:03

If the car really improves by that much, then it will corner A LOT faster than Ferrari and Mercedes because, as it was on Bahrain and Sochi, Red Bull already had the cornering speed of Ferrari and Mercedes even with their sleek car:
That website would be an abomination in 1999.

TNTHead

In Auto Motor und Sport a summary is given at the point Red Bull stands now
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 27537.html

They state that the Barcelona update of the chassis is aimed at increasing the downforce at back of the car so they can get the rear tyres in the desired temperature range. Furthermore they question whether the new regulations have destroyed their concept (high rake, without losing too much top speed). I am curious which parts will be updated (beside confirmed base plate and front wing). They even may change their basic concept so that the b-spec can be seen as a new car.

adrianjordan

TNTHead wrote:
09 May 2017, 13:09

They state that the Barcelona update of the chassis is aimed at increasing the downforce at back of the car so they can get the rear tyres in the desired temperature range. Furthermore they question whether the new regulations have destroyed their concept (high rake, without losing too much top speed). I am curious which parts will be updated (beside confirmed base plate and front wing). They even may change their basic concept so that the b-spec can be seen as a new car.
I know this is off topic, but if the new rules have destroyed their concept of high rake etc, then I wonder if that has impacted on Mclaren as well...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

SparkyAMG

adrianjordan wrote:
09 May 2017, 16:05
TNTHead wrote:
09 May 2017, 13:09

I know this is off topic, but if the new rules have destroyed their concept of high rake etc, then I wonder if that has impacted on Mclaren as well...
Continuing the off-topic theme, Mercedes stated that they explored switching to the high rake concept for 2017 but found its potential to be limited compared with the long wheelbase concept they opted for.

I hope Red Bull's Barcelona package is as radical as the media would have us believe. Chucking them into the Ferrari / Mercedes mix should produce some incredible races.

Artur Craft

Cold Fussion wrote:
09 May 2017, 04:42
That website would be an abomination in 1999.
It's odd/different but, imo, still not as bad as the current mobile oriented ones. Does people remember how awesome the previous f1.com was? The new one is uglier, not as neat and lack lot's of info such as sector times and etc(thankfully, those are still available on FIA's website)

Picking on the site's numbers from Bahrain, Red Bull only lost 0.8s to Mercedes on the straights and I guess that will be much less on a track like Barcelona? If this new package is all that's been rumoured, RB could be quite close on qualifying, or at least on race pace.

Nuvolari

Artur Craft wrote:
08 May 2017, 17:03

I find Russia to be problematic in deducing much, as RB's tyre problems would've been much worse there. Some food for thought from Bahrain:

It's a cubic fit of some full throttle acceleration data. Unbroken line = cars approaching and accelerating through turn 12, dashed line = acceleration along the straight (without DRS) between turns 13 & 14, dotted line = acceleration along straight (with DRS) between turns 10 & 11.

It appears to me that RB13 doesn't gain as much speed with the DRS ...possible that it's less draggy. The Haas was matching the RB13 in turn 12 though, which suggests to me that the car is lacking downforce/grip in the high speed corners compared to Mercedes. The Barcelona update has to be pretty hefty to lift the car to playing with Ferrari/Mercedes, IMO.

A caveat: the data is not as good as I'd like with some 1 km/h starting speed error.

Artur Craft

Thanks very much for the data! Which laps are these data from?

T12 is an easy 100% throttle bend, so it's pure power. On the motorsportzone Bahrain comparison, I think Verstappen was up there with Bottas through the fast T6.

Noble talked to RB people and they threw cold water on the hype surrounding this upgrade, as I guess they would do regardless of how big that is. I don't think the upgrade will be enough because the others will also take their's but it migh closes the gap to less than half a second.

Nuvolari

Artur Craft wrote:
09 May 2017, 20:45
Thanks very much for the data! Which laps are these data from?

T12 is an easy 100% throttle bend, so it's pure power. On the motorsportzone Bahrain comparison, I think Verstappen was up there with Bottas through the fast T6.

Noble talked to RB people and they threw cold water on the hype surrounding this upgrade, as I guess they would do regardless of how big that is. I don't think the upgrade will be enough because the others will also take their's but it migh closes the gap to less than half a second.
Bottas was pole lap, Grosjean best lap from qualifying (the Q3 lap), and for Ricciardo, it was his first Q3 lap. The Ricciardo lap was around 0.5s slower than his second Q3 lap but I don't have an onboard of that. For the comparison I posted it shouldn't matter.

You're right that turn 12 is full throttle, and I would disagree it's all about power...I think the plot above illustrates that it's not. If it was only about power, the acceleration through turn 12 would be closer to the dashed line. The respective delta between the dashed line and the unbroken lines, indicate how much the cornering speeds were limited by the chassis. The Mercedes is carrying a lot more speed through turn 12 because it is less limited by the corner, than the RB or Haas.

The delta between Mercedes and RB/Haas at T12 apex (6 km/h), is bigger than the delta between them simply accelerating along the straight full throttle (5 km/h). In any case, all cars are so far from their ideal straight line accleration speed, that if RB was producing more or less equal downforce at high speed to Mercedes, there should be no problem with matching Mercedes through there. Happy to be corrected.

Regarding turn 6, I posted this in the Haas thread:

Grosjean was also matching the Mercedes through turn 6. It's Turn 7 where both RB and Haas lose to Mercedes. This is consistent with the turn 12 data. The one aspect of RB13's performance that lifts it clear of the midfield cars is low speed cornering.

motobaleno

Nuvolari wrote:
10 May 2017, 12:25

You're right that turn 12 is full throttle, and I would disagree it's all about power...I think the plot above illustrates that it's not. If it was only about power, the acceleration through turn 12 would be closer to the dashed line. The respective delta between the dashed line and the unbroken lines, indicate how much the cornering speeds were limited by the chassis.
maybe you'are forgetting friction: in a turn, even if you are flat out, friction prevents you from achieving the same acceleration than along a straight.

Incidentally, for the same reason, the fact that mercedes was faster than ferrari in turn 3 at sochi did not indicated a better aerodynamical/chassis behavior of mercedes in high speed corners but it was simply another evidence of the fact that mercedes PU is still superior

Nuvolari

motobaleno wrote:
10 May 2017, 12:33
Nuvolari wrote:
10 May 2017, 12:25

You're right that turn 12 is full throttle, and I would disagree it's all about power...I think the plot above illustrates that it's not. If it was only about power, the acceleration through turn 12 would be closer to the dashed line. The respective delta between the dashed line and the unbroken lines, indicate how much the cornering speeds were limited by the chassis.
maybe you'are forgetting friction: in a turn, even if you are flat out, friction prevents you from achieving the same acceleration than along a straight.

Incidentally, for the same reason, the fact that mercedes was faster than ferrari in turn 3 at sochi did not indicated a better aerodynamical/chassis behavior of mercedes in high speed corners but it was simply another evidence of the fact that mercedes PU is still superior
[my emphasis]

In other words grip? If you have better grip whether it is downforce or tyres, you can achieve the same speeds. I would argue, that still comes under chassis performance. :)