2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: 2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

I dont really blame perez. He had to make sure not to give an inch to his teammate.
The team should have been more stern and not let him feel that he had a choice; but i think they realized that if ocon could not pass Perez, he probably had no chance passing the redbull. Anyhow good racing from both, and Force India is far ahead of torro rosso and too far behind redbull for it to make a difference anyway.

Vettel played it too risky in the end, i feel if he is under pressure later down he will crash out. He took a really huge risk with ocon today.

Good race from Stroll. he had a really good car, but still kept it on track.

Kimi.... i don't know what to say.

Alonso's season is depressing he needs to go to renault now. Just take palmer's seat.

If perez was Verstappen people would be cheering him on for being a racer and not conceding to team orders. You all need to give perez a break. Ocon can't expect to get podiums handed to him on a platter.
For Sure!!

giantfan10
giantfan10

ringo wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 03:26
I dont really blame perez. He had to make sure not to give an inch to his teammate.
The team should have been more stern and not let him feel that he had a choice; but i think they realized that if ocon could not pass Perez, he probably had no chance passing the redbull. Anyhow good racing from both, and Force India is far ahead of torro rosso and too far behind redbull for it to make a difference anyway.

Vettel played it too risky in the end, i feel if he is under pressure later down he will crash out. He took a really huge risk with ocon today.

Good race from Stroll. he had a really good car, but still kept it on track.

Kimi.... i don't know what to say.

Alonso's season is depressing he needs to go to renault now. Just take palmer's seat.

If perez was Verstappen people would be cheering him on for being a racer and not conceding to team orders. You all need to give perez a break. Ocon can't expect to get podiums handed to him on a platter.
Vettel was too risky? Based on what exactly? Whatever it takes within the rules ... i would love for you to point out what rule he broke. Everybody complains about processions then now we complain because a driver took a calculated risk and it worked out?
You sure you dont have an issue with it because he minimized the loss of points to Hamilton ?? : )

djos

Btw the podium was epic, Patrick Stewart was already a hero to me, but now he's just a dead set legend!
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

Too easy for the BOSS. All too easy. Vettel could have done more to block mad Max coming from his right. Sure, Bottas was on his inside but it would have swtich over to put Bottas on the outside in the next turn. He was caught sleeping by Max. Not sure he can continue to make this little mistakes if he want to keep ahead of Hamilton in the title fight.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

giantfan10
giantfan10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 04:50
Too easy for the BOSS. All too easy. Vettel could have done more to block mad Max coming from his right. Sure, Bottas was on his inside but it would have swtich over to put Bottas on the outside in the next turn. He was caught sleeping by Max. Not sure he can continue to make this little mistakes if he want to keep ahead of Hamilton in the title fight.
Yup block max who he doesnt see coming and open a nice lane behind hamilton for bottas.
The reason bottas and max were even in the mix is because vettel could not brake as late as he should have to protect his position.
He had to brake early to avoid smacking into the back of hamilton .

giantfan10
giantfan10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Asked whether Verstappen's move was overly optimistic after the race, Vettel said: "I haven't seen from his point of view, but... obviously I wasn't expecting, I was focusing on Valtteri, I didn't really have anywhere to go because Lewis [Hamilton] was in front - so if I brake later, then I run into Lewis.

"And then Max, I think, took his chance on the outside and ran over our front wing.

dans79

As far as I'm concerned Ocon was the driver of the race. He did an excellent job to extending his first stint, and staying out of trouble. If his team had a backbone, he probably would have made the podium. Vettel had an ok recovery drive, but his awareness of Max was sub par. After spa last yea, you think he would be more aware of Max's willingness to attempt high risk/ill-advised moves in the first few turns.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A duplicate2

Those who are arguing what Perez did was right, need to remember that, they are not Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull. They are a small budget team that have optimized their opportunities to get good standings in constructors. They cannot afford to throw away points by allowing their drivers to race as if they are racing for the championship title. May be too optimistic, but they are in fact looking at 3rd in the Constructors, if RB continues to have failures. So, it's important for the drivers to go with what benefits the team.

Perez, I am not sure if has impressed any prospective top team bosses by doing what he did. It was an opportunity to tell the world that, he is ready to commit to the interests of the team and not his own self. The season is long and he would probably get better opportunities to impress. Now he has set a bad precedence in front of Ocon, who was telling in the post race interview that, "My time will come". The team always managed make a name for themselves for good reasons, by declining to respect the team interests, Perez has made a joke of the pit wall bosses.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

This is Hamilton's best track by a long, long way, so Vettel's 'mistake' probably cost 6 points - I doubt 4th was his desired result, but after being effectively last probably as much as he could have hoped for.

Raikkonen - very poor, considering Ferrari's long run and qualifying pace. As per usual, he is extremely timid when it comes to overtaking.

Perez and Ocon. Perez behaved in his immediate, short-term, best interests, which is to say, selfishly. I don't think Force India will be happy with the situation, as they could have had an accident, but it's the team's fault too for not having a firmer hand. They, and Perez, have set a bad precedent for the remainder of the season.

Mandrake
Mandrake

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Awwww how much I missed these kinds of comments when Hamilton wasn't leading. Thankfully he's back, the new messias, the new Senna, THE BOSS!!!

Verstappen was just mental into the first turn, I'm sure Vettel had to brake more than he would have in order to avoid further damage. And it was thrilling to see him at 101% in the closing stages, trying to extract every millisecond from the car.

One note about RedBull: Aparrently the engine is good enough to keep a Mercedes Engine behind. On a long straight. With DRS. Against a car that Mercedes were unable to overtake on the very same straight. With DRS.

Vasconia

WaikeCU wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 23:47
DOTD was Hamilton for me. He was by far the quickest this weekend. Hasn't made any mistakes at all and just cruised towards the finish line. To the ones who are pointing that Vettel was by far quicker than Hamilton during the race: yeah sure, but Hamilton didn't even push at all. He just took the car home. Whereas Vettel was all over the place at the start being pressured on both sides and taking damage. Nearly lost it at turn 1 when battling with the FI's and then missed the chicane, because he pushed too hard. Thanks to FI bottling it in their inter team battle, Vettel ended in front of the FI's. Strategist was right: If the swap didn't take place, both FI's would have ended behind the catching Ferrari's. Luckily only one got past, since Kimi had brake issues.
I couldn´t call Lewis driver of the day because the race was too easy. OK, his qualy lap was amazing and he made no mistakes but other drivers had more impressive performances IMO. For example, Ocon, Vettel or Alonso.

The race was fine but we lost a tight battle between Lewis and Sebastian. Even though Lewis is almost untouchable on this track I think Sebastian could have put some pressure on him. Verstappen´s start was spectacular but too optimistic, that corner is narrow and Sebastian had nowhere to go. I don´t understand why people blame Vettel, is the guy who tries to overtake who must make this overtake posible and "safe". I think Sebastian´s recovery was good and with only 1-2 laps he could reached the podium.

Abouth the Perez-Ocon controversy, I tend to prefer a good battle on the track but I guess it was too risky and FI needs to maximize their results.

About Alonso...what can I say? 10th with this McLaren-Honda it was a sort of a miracle but this PU is simply embarrasing.

Bad race for Carlos, I think he will learn from it. But those incidents are something usual on narrow tracks.

Another super solid race by Hulkenberg, I can´t wait to see a more competitive Renault because I am sure he will deliver.

WaikeCU

Vasconia wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 09:00
WaikeCU wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 23:47
DOTD was Hamilton for me. He was by far the quickest this weekend. Hasn't made any mistakes at all and just cruised towards the finish line. To the ones who are pointing that Vettel was by far quicker than Hamilton during the race: yeah sure, but Hamilton didn't even push at all. He just took the car home. Whereas Vettel was all over the place at the start being pressured on both sides and taking damage. Nearly lost it at turn 1 when battling with the FI's and then missed the chicane, because he pushed too hard. Thanks to FI bottling it in their inter team battle, Vettel ended in front of the FI's. Strategist was right: If the swap didn't take place, both FI's would have ended behind the catching Ferrari's. Luckily only one got past, since Kimi had brake issues.
I couldn´t call Lewis driver of the day because the race was too easy. OK, his qualy lap was amazing and he made no mistakes but other drivers had more impressive performances IMO. For example, Ocon, Vettel or Alonso.

The race was fine but we lost a tight battle between Lewis and Sebastian. Even though Lewis is almost untouchable on this track I think Sebastian could have put some pressure on him. Verstappen´s start was spectacular but too optimistic, that corner is narrow and Sebastian had nowhere to go. I don´t understand why people blame Vettel, is the guy who tries to overtake who must make this overtake posible and "safe". I think Sebastian´s recovery was good and with only 1-2 laps he could reached the podium.
Well, I thought Lewis deserved it more coming off a bad weekend in Monaco, so he needed to bounce back and he has perfectly answered the critics. I don't blame Vettel tho, but this happens when you get crowded out at the start. That's why everyone says a good starting position is important.

Vasconia

WaikeCU wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 10:10

Well, I thought Lewis deserved it more coming off a bad weekend in Monaco, so he needed to bounce back and he has perfectly answered the critics. I don't blame Vettel tho, but this happens when you get crowded out at the start. That's why everyone says a good starting position is important.
Yes, Vettel´s start was not good so he found himself in the middle of a battle while Lewis was cruising trouble free.

Juzh

Vettel's start wasn't phenomenal, but it wasn't bad either. Verstappen said it was his best launch since he's at red bull, so he pretty much got lucky. Then he just cut Vettel off in his typical no-sh1ts given fashion. Karma is a bitch though. DNF from second. Good.

AnthonyG

Juzh wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 10:38
Vettel's start wasn't phenomenal, but it wasn't bad either. Verstappen said it was his best launch since he's at red bull, so he pretty much got lucky. Then he just cut Vettel off in his typical no-sh1ts given fashion. Karma is a bitch though. DNF from second. Good.
Riciardo also made a decent start. They must have found a way to improve their starts I think.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel