McLaren MP4-23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spencifer_Murphy

Re: New McLaren MP4-23

I find it highly unlikely that Alonso brought intensive testing to Mclaren. As if a proven race winning team like Mclaren are going to turn around and say "Oooh, so THAT'S what we've been doing wrong all these years."

Mclaren's upturn in competitiveness came with the departure of Adrian Newey - coincidence? I think not. I've said before that Newey is an aerodynamicist first, and great as he is, he strives for perfection. I think recently (the last say - 5 years maybe) the search for perfection (kick-started with the still-born MP4-18 project) has lead to him pushing the envelope a little too much.

No one man can join a team in January and turn it around by the season's start that same year. Not even Michael did that at Ferrari.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

sebbe

chasefreak wrote:mclaren are one team that have actually learnt something from RENAULT. this is something ALONSO bought to the team. and this year they are testing even more then before or any oda team
If you are a rookie it means that you should sit and listen carefully to what older and wiser people say. Are you Spanish by the way? :lol:

McLaren is one of the big spenders when talking about testing. Sometime ago I read they spent 1,3 MUSD every two days of testing (sounds too much to me, but it is a figure to start talking about...)

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Mclaren's upturn in competitiveness came with the departure of Adrian Newey - coincidence? I think not. I've said before that Newey is an aerodynamicist first, and great as he is, he strives for perfection. I think recently (the last say - 5 years maybe) the search for perfection (kick-started with the still-born MP4-18 project) has lead to him pushing the envelope a little too much.
I've always said that I would like to study the "18" down to the core to find out what went wrong...
I think it had too many improvements that didn't work well in coordination...
Remember the coke-bottleneck really tight rear it had? It's almost the same they use now.
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

megz

The MP4-20 was hardly a failure, well not on Newey's side.

modbaraban

Why would you want 2 pairs of rear wing supports? :shock: Or am I dizzy? 8-[

Spencifer_Murphy

That might be a bit of a misleading pic - it could just be two supports for the teeny little wings between them. I'm guessing that they look like they do - but dont actually - meet the rear wing mainplane.

If on the other hand they do, maybe they are there for the little winglet, but have been extended upwards to help straight airflow or something like that?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Mikacouli

It's no support. It's just an extra winglet... Giving extra down force in the corners I think.
all hopes on the MP4/24

johny

a closer one

NaZzO

thx !! been looking everywhere for a close-up
this clears all the confusion...
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

Metar

Which makes the rear crash structure a whole new danger in itself. I could slice my bread on those things! :shock:

Tom Castellani

I feel sorry for the sponsors whose logos can barely be seen... What are they even paying for?

The wing and winglets themselves look pretty cool. I was hoping for more of an aero update from McLaren to be honest though.
The road to success is 20,832 meters long...

miqi23

That is for improving the Yawing Moment of the car.

Metar

Tom Castellani wrote:I feel sorry for the sponsors whose logos can barely be seen... What are they even paying for?
Schüco pays for 30 seconds of advertising on Germany's F1 broadcaster (Germany's the audience anyway) at the start of each tv-ad session, and 10 seconds at the end of each. And being RTL, ads come every 15 minutes. Being on the rear of a McLaren is the cheap part, I'd guess :p

That wing reminds me of Renault's classic rear wings, with those cut-off endplates. When did McLaren introduce those?

modbaraban

Metar wrote:That wing reminds me of Renault's classic rear wings, with those cut-off endplates. When did McLaren introduce those?
They showed up during the last tests I think.

As for the 'tail-horns'....

It's just an extra winglet... Giving extra down force in the corners I think.

That is for improving the Yawing Moment of the car.

...my version is: they straighten the airflow under the wing to increase the effect of suckng the air out of the diffuser.

RJC_pt

...and futher disturb the airflow to a possible folloing car... :?: :lol:

modbaraban

RJC_pt wrote:...and futher disturb the airflow to a possible folloing car... :?: :lol:
I'd suggest a pair of fans for that =) ....oh wait a minute... they're banned already :o