2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mattchu

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

adrianjordan wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 17:25
Is there a thread anywhere talking about the BRDC triggering the break clause in the contract to host the British GP at Silverstone?

I was wondering the same thing and haven`t seen one! Personally i think the BRDC have done the right thing judging by what iv`e read, to lose over 7 Million in two years and it`s expected to carry on just isn`t sustainable, we can thank Bernie who`s made billions off Formula 1 and not given much back to "historic" tracks, just pandered to those with the most money, i.e. The new oil producing countries...

Juzh

Mattchu wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 19:43
adrianjordan wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 17:25
Is there a thread anywhere talking about the BRDC triggering the break clause in the contract to host the British GP at Silverstone?

I was wondering the same thing and haven`t seen one! Personally i think the BRDC have done the right thing judging by what iv`e read, to lose over 7 Million in two years and it`s expected to carry on just isn`t sustainable, we can thank Bernie who`s made billions off Formula 1 and not given much back to "historic" tracks, just pandered to those with the most money, i.e. The new oil producing countries...
Hopefully they'll renegotiate at a reduced cost, it would be a shame to lose another historic and proper circuit.

DVB

What about the rumours that Bernie wants to buy Silverstone? I can't imagine this track dissapearing from the calendar. If only the teams would donate the transport costs they would otherwise spend, would give Silverstone enough to keep up the next years ;)

It will be extremely hard for the riders on the first corners after start / finish to keep it flat out. I've heard the mercedes riders with a deep breath in previous races and Silverstone will be harder.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

Artur Craft

godlameroso wrote:
10 Jul 2017, 16:41
I think it's going to be the first time ever that the entry to C.M.B. will be flat, maybe a lift, and a dab of the brakes through 12 to setup 13 and 14.
What? The entry to C.M.B have been flat many times before. For instance, do you remember this qualifying lap from Hamilton, in 2010( and in 2013 too),when it had the G-meter graphic on it? and that car didn't have even nearly the grip of the top 2006 cars or the RB6(look how hamilton had to even brake for Copse but was flat entering C.M.B).
godlameroso wrote:
10 Jul 2017, 17:46
Hamilton is untouchable around here, he finds time that shouldn't be there somehow.
I don't know about that. What I do know is that he had untouchable cars way too many times, already. I really hope that Mercedes PU upgrade is nothing special because the W08 had lower cornering speed than several cars on the Red Bull Ring(Haas, Mclaren, Red Bull and Ferrari).
waynes wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 08:44
i went to the williams anniversary thing the other week, and from the brief running of this years car they are alot louder than the previous years.
I hear this stuff since the very beggining of these V6 engines. Going by that, they might be the loudest thing ever by now [/sarcasm]

GPR-A duplicate2

Artur Craft wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 01:17
godlameroso wrote:
Hamilton is untouchable around here, he finds time that shouldn't be there somehow.
I don't know about that. What I do know is that he had untouchable cars way too many times, already.
And yet, his team mate hasn't managed to beat him for pole, except when Hamilton himself cocked up in rain hit 2014 qualifying. What does that say about his team mate?
Artur Craft wrote:
I really hope that Mercedes PU upgrade is nothing special because the W08 had lower cornering speed than several cars on the Red Bull Ring(Haas, Mclaren, Red Bull and Ferrari).
It all depends upon what the setup is and what is the compromise there. In Spain, Mercedes was the fastest in the slow speed section and it was faster in S1 in Canada, where it was all about chicanes and corners. Well in Baku, they were the fastest overall. I am sure in Austria, both cars were setup different due to different situation the drivers were in. They have always been saying that, their philosophy of going with longer wheel base will pay off in high downforce circuits. So, where else can showcase it other than Silverstone?

giantfan10

GPR-A wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 03:59
Artur Craft wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I don't know about that. What I do know is that he had untouchable cars way too many times, already.
And yet, his team mate hasn't managed to beat him for pole, except when Hamilton himself cocked up in rain hit 2014 qualifying. What does that say about his team mate?
Artur Craft wrote:
I really hope that Mercedes PU upgrade is nothing special because the W08 had lower cornering speed than several cars on the Red Bull Ring(Haas, Mclaren, Red Bull and Ferrari).
It all depends upon what the setup is and what is the compromise there. In Spain, Mercedes was the fastest in the slow speed section and it was faster in S1 in Canada, where it was all about chicanes and corners. Well in Baku, they were the fastest overall. I am sure in Austria, both cars were setup different due to different situation the drivers were in. They have always been saying that, their philosophy of going with longer wheel base will pay off in high downforce circuits. So, where else can showcase it other than Silverstone?
It says that he was a better driver than his teamamte for all 3 years (Rosberg) which doesnt say a whole lot when it was also a 2 man competition.

waynes

Artur Craft wrote:
I hear this stuff since the very beggining of these V6 engines. Going by that, they might be the loudest thing ever by now [/sarcasm]
ignoring the "sarcasm" they had the FW36 on track then the FW40 and it (FW40) was noticably louder. Nowhere near the V10/V8 days

thanks

Mandrake

giantfan10 wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 16:05
I am not one that buys into the its a Hamilton track stuff.
Mercedes has been strong here for the past 3 years when they had a 2 car championship and no car could compete with them... Those days are long gone and i suspect that some are having a hard time letting the past go.
Vettel in the lead ferrari can absolutely win this race.
Hamilton. Vettel . Bottas for quali and then the race is on.
Regardless of the track, Mercedes still has a mighty advantage in qualifying. Depending on the track and the way the car works with the tires this is larger or smaller. If the Merc drivers are "in the zone", I doubt Ferrari can take pole. Getting from not Pole to the lead will be difficult.

Should they find themselves in the lead though they can of course win this......problem in a couple of races has been for them to get there. And to get there prior to running out of laps ;)

Sevach

Phil wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 17:08
SamH123 wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 16:06
We've just had 3 power tracks with Vettel almost qualifying on pole in Austria and fairly close in Canada (another day could have been different).
We had the oil story in Canada, which changes made to Baku, where suddenly, Mercedes was clearly faster with both cars. Austria is a very short track, so any gap will be smaller. Adding to that the arguably stronger qualifier was on a different strategy and perhaps was addiotionally hampered by that, so I wouldn't read too much into the closeness of Austria between Ferrari and Mercedes.

Silverstone is gonna be interesting though, that is for sure.
I think this track is a tough one to call in theory, in my opinion high speed corners is where the SF70-H excels but Mercedes still holds the power advantage (new engine and particularly fuel coming to this race might help mitigate whatever the oil burn loss was doing), and of course Ferrari historically hasn't been super good at Silverstone.

MtthsMlw

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 20:31
Anyway, Mercedes claims Copse and Abbey will be easy flat chat. I hope the weather-gods make this a bone dry race because i want to see some stupid corner speeds this year.
Copse won't be flat, guaranteed.

Steven
Owner

So, I've moved bunch of posts to the fanboy yin-yang thread, because they don't fit here.

To summarize: not acceptable in race threads:
- "DriverX is going to rock them all". What is the point? There are prediction games for that...
- Open questions to mods. Use reporting or PM, and be patient. We are busy people too
- Personal comments, politics, trolling, ... just like anywhere else

If you want to include historical performance, back it up with data, and don't expect others to verify your claim by looking it up themselves.

However, it comes down to what you can all accept from each other. If it ends up in bickering and preventing the actual on-topic discussion, mods will intervene.

Schuttelberg

I have a feeling the tyres are still one compound too hard!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

GPR-A duplicate2

Schuttelberg wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 05:37
I have a feeling the tyres are still one compound too hard!
Silverstone is a high downforce circuit and puts a lot more stress on tyres than most other circuits. In fact, they actually had "Hard compound" in their early planning, which they changed mid-season after realizing that the compounds are ACTUALLY too hard. Now they have junked the Hard Compound altogether. Going for US-SS-S would probably be catastrophic if tyres blow out. I still remember the tragedy of 2013 where the steel belts were getting overheated and the outer layer was getting de-laminated. Hamilton lost that race from the lead after his tyre blew.