2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

Juzh wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 17:50
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 17:47
Juzh wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 17:05

As predicted :D
He said after the session that they can go through Copse flat but they scrub top much speed so it's quicker to lift and then power through.
He said: "You can take Copse flat in eighth but it is not necessarily quicker - you scrub a lot of speed off and the rpm drops off too much. I don't personally take it flat.

"And then Maggotts and Becketts; that section is on fire - Turn 10 is always flat, 11 has been flat for years, 12, from 2007 to now, you were letting off later and later and now you are on the gas into 12. Turn 13 (the final right-hander) is a fantastic corner because it is very bumpy, a lot of compression on the tyres and it is all about the exit.
Yeah, I don't buy that at all. I think what he actually meant to say is that staying in 8th trough copse is not optimal because you have to drop too much speed to not run off the track, and hence the rpm is too low. He's not even flat in turn 11 when he says it's flat for years lol.
There's the tiniest lift before 11 and then it's full throttle through the corner. That'd be "flat through 11" then.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 17:58
Juzh wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 17:50
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 17:47

He said after the session that they can go through Copse flat but they scrub top much speed so it's quicker to lift and then power through.
Yeah, I don't buy that at all. I think what he actually meant to say is that staying in 8th trough copse is not optimal because you have to drop too much speed to not run off the track, and hence the rpm is too low. He's not even flat in turn 11 when he says it's flat for years lol.
There's the tiniest lift before 11 and then it's full throttle through the corner. That'd be "flat through 11" then.
That's not flat in my book, but perhaps it is in his.

mertol

11 is flat right up to the apex where you start braking for becketts. It would be flat no problem if not followed by slower turns.

godlameroso

Man the next few rounds are going to be awesome then, Hungary, Spa, Malaysia, Suzuka, COTA, Brazil, I'm getting giddy just thinking about it.
Saishū kōnā

Treble
Treble

That on Grosjean was a penalty. Btw after Bottas the last race they had to compensate this time too for the Baku accident. Hamilton will be unbeatable tomorrow but Vettel in my opinion will be not so far regarding race pace. Let's see how Kimi will start.

Moose
Moose

I don't think Bottas/Hamilton ending up slower in Qualifying the past couple of races has to do with a different setup for the race. Instead, I think it simply is Mercedes going "well, we can't get on pole, so lets not turn the engine all the way up - that way we get a couple of laps of qualy mode on the engine during the race, and can hopefully overtake with it."

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Wynters wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:41
GPR-A wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:10
None of what you have mentioned, is worse than a driver deliberately banging his car with another car. So, as per FIA standards, a honest apology is enough to get out of the bigger crime, then in this case, even an apology isn't required. Still, Lewis has apologized. That's big.
I'm not sure when two wrongs started making a right? I'm also fairly sure that Vettel did get a penalty, no?
He was also dragged in front of the FIA.....Only for him to apologise and it all to be happy families again. This after a steward admitted that they didn't go further as they didn't want to effect the WDC.

iotar__

Restomaniac wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 19:54
Wynters wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:41
GPR-A wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:10
None of what you have mentioned, is worse than a driver deliberately banging his car with another car. So, as per FIA standards, a honest apology is enough to get out of the bigger crime, then in this case, even an apology isn't required. Still, Lewis has apologized. That's big.
I'm not sure when two wrongs started making a right? I'm also fairly sure that Vettel did get a penalty, no?
He was also dragged in front of the FIA.....Only for him to apologise and it all to be happy families again. This after a steward admitted that they didn't go further as they didn't want to effect the WDC.
- FIA didn't give Hamilton a clear penalty because Vettel got a drive through in Baku #-o ? Flawless logic.

- Just when you think limits of open corruption of F1 only compared to boxing and blind hypocrisy of "fans" have been reached something like this happens.
- I wonder where Ross Brawn disappears during events like that, he should be showing Whiting and stewards Akonso - Massa for comparison. Zero accountability for decisions, healthy foundation of a sport.

Wynters
Wynters

Great lap from Hulkenberg. He really is outstanding in changing conditions.
Shame for Ricciardo.

Unc1eM0nty

Hammerfist wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:56
Sevach wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:17
Juzh wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 15:55
Hamilton Pole Lap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwRQdYkPb8
After all the talk he's not full flat anywhere...
He's flat at turn one, doesn't hit the brakes for Copse,

It was a super smooth lap, though he doesn't necessarily hit all the apexes.
Post qually interview Lewis said Copse can be taken flat out but it then compromises your entry into the complex, faster to lift there then go flat out through the complex,

Mansell89
Mansell89

Likelihood of rain tomorrow?

PlatinumZealot

I am expecting an ugly fight between the two Ferraris. Kimi is not rolling over just because wunderkid commands it! Don't be surprised if it ends in tears tmorrow.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

F1NAC

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 21:10
Kimi is not rolling over just because wunderkid commands it!
I think you meant on Bottad and Hamilton. Because Vettel never requested order.

iotar__

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... o-be-in-f1
Yep, it's other driver's fault that Mercedes needed FIA's cheating to fix their incompetence. Let's skip this part in usual media disinformation. True, who needs top driving talents when you have spenders of corporate money like Wolff. This is the essence of F1: not on track skills but annoying loudmouths and marketing fiction salesmen.

Wolff instead of yapping should be running around checking Hamilton's GPS, headsets =P~ , exploding Mercedes engines and gearboxes (or bad tyre pressure) while designing another batch of team orders to carry his chosen driver.

NathanOlder

Everyone banging on about the Gro Ham incident, yet Perez was worse to Vettel in Q2 and it was let go, so there was no way they could penalise Ham once they let Perez off for taking it easy through Copse while Vettel was on a fast one.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC