2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

NO ONE CAN EVER OVERTAKE MAX VERSTAPPEN !!!

[...] The [apparent] fact that Ferrari simply does not have it in them to out develop Mercedes, is bad news for F1. They started the season with best car, but did not manage to cash-in on that form and Mercedes kept outsmarting them, with an inferior car. Now is a situation where the Mercedes PU is ahead, the car's vulnerability on the tyres is sorted and as always, they have the best pair of drivers driving for them.

I strongly believe, Ferrari should take back Alonso and dump Kimi. With that they can look at 2018 to re-surge again. [...]
Last edited by Steven on 16 Jul 2017, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

drunkf1fan

To be fair to Ferrari I think the situation is that Mercedes didn't have their full 2017 car till Spain, so the reason they've made a way larger step than Ferrari is simply that they had a backlog of months of updates all rolled in to one. For me it seems like their 2017 concept all relied on that new nose, it didn't pass crash testing so all the months of work on that concept got sidelined. By spain they got the nose working and everything else fell into place. So I think the better way to look at is this is the 2017 Merc now and the 2017 Ferrari, I think the gap compared to 2016 shrunk considerably but not as big as people thought from the comparison at the start of the season.

So the real development rate now is from Canada onwards, though the update came up in Spain it was clear they struggled with setup in Monaco, a little in Spain and had it pretty much nailed Canada onwards.

They've made good progress but need another step or two. One of the problems is most teams don't excel in everything, great chassis/okay engine, or great downforce but too high drag or too high tire wear. Merc have built a monster, low tire wear, low drag at any downforce, versatile as hell so runs great at high and low downforce tracks, great suspension, great traction, great engine. They've knocked it out of the park in every single area and for me have the best driver on the grid. Currently I think for Ferrari to beat them consistently will take a completely and utterly amazing car of which maybe F1 has never seen before. Almost every top car before I can think of had some downside, RBR from 09-13 struggled more in low downforce and had a weaker top speed but the Merc is just that damn good. Amazing for them but it means a team can't beat them by doing a great job, they can only do it if they also do a truly phenomenal job.

Sieper

Fantastic defense by verstappen on Vettel, also the start faster of the line then Vettel again, trying to overtake Kimi, being pushed out of the track (little bit of a dumb move by verstappen, Lets call it wanting too much) and seeing Vettel pass him again but the overtake after that was Magical.

Too bad the Ferrari is that much quicker, let alone the merc. The RBR itself is so much quicker then the rest, Ricci could almost cruise back to p6 (which became 5th even after the exploding tyres).

Dreadfull end of the race for Ferrari, even with the engine upgrade merc is way too fast. It seems the hydraulic rear suspension and lwb is an even better solution then last years "soft" rear.

siskue2005

GPR-A wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 17:09
Well...well... well... The grand plan of Ferrari to swap the drivers came to a naught once Bottas was at Vettel's tail. Kimi was maintaining a 4.5 second gap for a long time thinking it would be an easy swap. But as soon as Ferrari realized that, both position would be compromised as Bottas came in, Bingo... Kimi opened a big gap and by the time Bottas cleared Vettel, the gap was 8 seconds!!!

Bottas saved face for Ferrari. :lol:
Yeah so true. I was glad that Max was between them in the first half, which prevented them from the ol switcheroo in the openong lap. Then Bottas coming in between them also prevented any last minute switcheroo too. But Kimi"s tyre blowup did help Vettel initially... so Ferrari didnt want to pit him even after clear signs (they had a natural switcheroo :lol:). That would have let him finish 4th atleast.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 17:43
NO ONE CAN EVER OVERTAKE MAX VERSTAPPEN !!!

Ignoring the painful, uninformed and blind Ferrari supporters, who kept making a lot of noise here, the fact that the team simply does not have it in them to out develop Mercedes, is bad news for F1. They started the season with best car, but did not manage to cash-in on that form and Mercedes kept outsmarting them, with an inferior car. Now is a situation where the Mercedes PU is ahead, the car's vulnerability on the tyres is sorted and as always, they have the best pair of drivers driving for them.

I strongly believe, Ferrari should take back Alonso and dump Kimi. With that they can look at 2018 to re-surge again. Vettel is just a fair-weather driver and they need another strong driver (not a second rate) who can help them to at least secure the WCC.
At least on the previous page I have read more people laughing at Ferrari than any supporter.. :roll:

I think the idea of Ferrari having a truly good car was a dream. This season is looking more and more like 2012s season, but unfortunately for Vettel he has not the same gap. Once Mercedes has brought a big update and solved their tyre management problems they have been dominating ever single race with the sole exception of Monaco. Only some drama has made possible to see other winners rather than Hamilton.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 18:27
At least on the previous page I have read more people laughing at Ferrari than any supporter.. :roll:
I can bet you for sure that there is not a single individual here who genuinely hate Ferrari! Yes, I can bet. If anything, the hatred is towards stupid people who try to hype the team, the personnel, the drivers more than they deserve, comes out in a form that seems like hatred towards Ferrari.
Vasconia wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 18:27
I think the idea of Ferrari having a truly good car was a dream.
As I said, SF70H was the best car that started the season. That's a fact. Mercedes had so many issues with the car; overweight, bad on tyres and who knows what else.

Give that car and PU to Red Bull and see what would happen. It's all about developing the car, which Ferrari has been lagging (over the years).

TAG

Mandrake wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 14:46
TAG wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 14:37
That was another move under braking. :wtf:
The kid will only learn if some other driver plows into his rear.
I was referring to this... he's only moaning cause he can't get past
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

iotar__

Ferrari #-o . I wonder if Marchionne will fire someone?

Wolff's "underdog" Mercedes is winning all the races, should have won 1-2 in Baku too. Shameless lying is the standard in F1.

Vettel (before the puncture): how can you lose to a car that started 6 places behind (inc. grid penalty) in a close second quickest car, on a track where it's difficult to overtake and on a one-stopper? Don't tell me about tyres, partly self inflicted (track position, bad Q, start and duels with Bottas, MV - lock-ups, kerbs etc., the other part not really in lap times.

Yurasyk

GPR-A wrote:
Well...well... well... The grand plan of Ferrari to swap the drivers came to a naught once Bottas was at Vettel's tail. Kimi was maintaining a 4.5 second gap for a long time thinking it would be an easy swap. But as soon as Ferrari realized that, both position would be compromised as Bottas came in, Bingo... Kimi opened a big gap and by the time Bottas cleared Vettel, the gap was 8 seconds!!!

Such a piece of bullshit.
Vet simply lost his pace before being overtaken by Bot. That's a way in which the gap between Vet and Rai increased.
https://puu.sh/wL7Yu.png

evered7

People keep repeating that Ferrari had the best car since the beginning of the season. A simple look at the qualification numbers will tell it is not the truth. Hamilton will not have driven out of his skin every time to get all the pole positions he got this season, same goes for Bottas. Mercedes being able to run their max power mode more frequently in the races have been the difference in the past few races.

This was to be a Merc circuit. They have a long wheelbase car and should be good in high speed corners. Kimi was putting good gap between him and Max on the SS (11s gap before Max pits). Ferrari had good pace on them over RB on SS. Vettel simply failed to take advantage of the pace advantage. He shouldn't have yielded the third place spot for starters given that poor start but be blessed by Max being off throttle because of Kimi. Could have been an easy 2-3 in whatever order if that was the case.

Bottas' initial couple of laps on SS were a blitz but once he closed on Vettel, his pace wasn't that great. If Vettel was not stopping that early, he wasn't even going to the fight with Bottas. Small things affecting big results in the end.

Anyone know what is the PU situation at Ferrari and if they did get their upgraded PU for this GP?

giantfan10

Yurasyk wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 19:58
GPR-A wrote:

Such a piece of bullshit.
Vet simply lost his pace before being overtaken by Bot. That's a way in which the gap between Vet and Rai increased.
https://puu.sh/wL7Yu.png
I couldnt have said it better...
Now that mercedes is closer in the drivers championship we have the usual suspects now trying to rewrite history and go back in their previous statements. Suddenly Ferrari had the best car at the beginning of the season SMH
Add to that the nonsense about kimi trying to switch with vettel.
Celebrate your teams win and stop making up nonsense to make some nonsense point.
That is all....
Ferrari didnt have the pace for this race.....we shall see in the next race if its a trend or a one of

godlameroso

It's the beginning of the end for Ferrari's title hopes, Vettel has a 1 point lead heading into the next race, and although they may be able to beat Mercedes in Hungary, there's more Mercedes friendly tracks in the wait. Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Mexico, and Brazil, have Mercedes wins written all over them. Then there's the fact that Ferrari is in danger of taking grid penalties, and it looks even bleaker.

The only chances Vettel has at realistically scoring wins is in Hungary, Malaysia, Singapore, COTA, and Abu Dhabi is a toss up. Looks like Hamilton 4x world champion and Mercedes wraps up the constructors championship by Brazil latest.
Saishū kōnā

mertol

The fault is not with the car. Just Vettel performing on Kimi's level. They both suck now.

ismail1991

evered7 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 20:03
People keep repeating that Ferrari had the best car since the beginning of the season. A simple look at the qualification numbers will tell it is not the truth. Hamilton will not have driven out of his skin every time to get all the pole positions he got this season, same goes for Bottas. Mercedes being able to run their max power mode more frequently in the races have been the difference in the past few races.

This was to be a Merc circuit. They have a long wheelbase car and should be good in high speed corners. Kimi was putting good gap between him and Max on the SS (11s gap before Max pits). Ferrari had good pace on them over RB on SS. Vettel simply failed to take advantage of the pace advantage. He shouldn't have yielded the third place spot for starters given that poor start but be blessed by Max being off throttle because of Kimi. Could have been an easy 2-3 in whatever order if that was the case.

Bottas' initial couple of laps on SS were a blitz but once he closed on Vettel, his pace wasn't that great. If Vettel was not stopping that early, he wasn't even going to the fight with Bottas. Small things affecting big results in the end.

Anyone know what is the PU situation at Ferrari and if they did get their upgraded PU for this GP?
As Wolf said after the race, Bottas didn't try to catch up with duelling Verstappen and Vettel. He could have done that easily. However, there was no point doing that as he would overheat his tyres like Vettel did. He waited until both verstappen and vettel pitted. After that he increased his pace and went as further as he can go to use the full grip of supersofts in the last 20 laps which allowed him to catch Vettel

RZS10

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ion-coming

incredible ... sometimes i have the feeling kvyat is just dumb, last race showed he did not learn from previous start crashes (especially Russia16), and now he got mad that Sainz got him through copse and he went for an overtake that will not work in 95% of cases only to blame his team mate he took out ...

it's a typical mistake you can see from bad drivers in online races in various games ... going for the overtake through the first left into maggots, not shedding enough speed through maggots, going wide onto the grass, being unable to slow down enough for becketts and taking out the unlucky sob on the racing line

seriously ... i was sure this would end badly when i saw the two side by side with the dust being kicked up

he did leave the track briefly (if you go by the white line as track limits)

and then the best part: "He turned into me" he said, with almost full steering lock towards his team mate who was already far off the ideal line on the outside of the corner