2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

FIA Event and Timing Information:

Circuit and Event Information

FIA Event and Timing Information

Tyre Allocations

2016 Qualifying Results (link to wiki)

2016 Race Results (link to wiki)

2016 Pole Lap:

Championship Tables [source]

World Driver's Championship Table

World Driver's Championship, Points

World Driver's Championship, Positions

World Constructor's Championship Table

World Constructor's Championship, Points

World Constructor's Championship, Positions
Last edited by ChrisDanger on 19 Jul 2017, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDanger

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

Interestingly, Hamilton went into this round last year one point behind in the championship after not leading all year, won the race, but then went on to not win the championship.

Could history repeat itself?

Moose

This is a clear Mercedes track as far as I'm concerned.

They were so dominant through Maggots and Beckets at Silverstone that I can't see this going any other way.

Moose

ChrisDanger wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 17:55
Interestingly, Hamilton went into this round last year one point behind in the championship after not leading all year, won the race, but then went on to not win the championship.

Could history repeat itself?
Importantly, at this point last year, Hamilton already knew he would probably have to suffer engine penalties later in the year.

At this point this year, Vettel already knows he will probably have to suffer engine penalties later in the year.

TAG

Any confirmation from Pirelli yet about tire choices they'll be bringing? I'm sure we're gonna see the US be the en vouge tire of the day unless there's rain. US, SS, SS?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

-wkst-

TAG wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 18:21
I'm sure we're gonna see the US be the en vouge tire of the day unless there's rain.
I am not so sure: same tyre choice as last year: supersoft-soft-medium

Spoutnik

Moose wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 18:07

They were so dominant through Maggots and Beckets at Silverstone that I can't see this going any other way.
I don't know why everyone is saying it's a Mercedes track. Ok it's maybe one of the track where it's the most difficult to beat Lewis nevertheless it's a hot temperature track, with not so many hard braking point, not so many high speed sector, and not so many high speed corner (it's more about medium speed corner in the S2). I think it's more a track who will hide how much Ferrari are behind Mercedes, and also who will see Red Bull on the podium at least (they will come with a big upgrade I heard on Canal +).

TAG

Lewis Hamilton has won five times here... despite a number of mechanical tragedies starting from the back & the slow starts. Wait am I allowed to say that? It is completely factual and not fanboyish in the slightest. :mrgreen:

I do predict a Schumacher pole tying event though.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Moose

Spoutnik wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 18:36
Moose wrote:

I don't know why everyone is saying it's a Mercedes track. Ok it's maybe one of the track where it's the most difficult to beat Lewis nevertheless it's a hot temperature track, with not so many hard braking point, not so many high speed sector, and not so many high speed corner (it's more about medium speed corner in the S2). I think it's more a track who will hide how much Ferrari are behind Mercedes, and also who will see Red Bull on the podium at least (they will come with a big upgrade I heard on Canal +).
Hot temperature is a fair point.

Re hard braking points - I don't see why you think that's Mercedes' advantage - Monaco demonstrated that hard braking points are their weakness, not their strength.

Re being about medium speed corners - no - it's about medium to high speed corners. Most of the important corners on the track are in the 180-250km/h range, which is exactly the kinds of corners that Mercedes has been stretching its legs at recently.

It's true that it also has a bunch of 100-150km/h corners, but we have little evidence to categorize those either as Mercedes or Ferrari territory. No circuit since Spain (where the Mercedes changed completely) has had any significant number of them.

Spoutnik

Moose wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 18:47
Spoutnik wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 18:36
Moose wrote:

Hot temperature is a fair point.

Re hard braking points - I don't see why you think that's Mercedes' advantage - Monaco demonstrated that hard braking points are their weakness, not their strength.

Re being about medium speed corners - no - it's about medium to high speed corners. Most of the important corners on the track are in the 180-250km/h range, which is exactly the kinds of corners that Mercedes has been stretching its legs at recently.

It's true that it also has a bunch of 100-150km/h corners, but we have little evidence to categorize those either as Mercedes or Ferrari territory. No circuit since Spain (where the Mercedes changed completely) has had any significant number of them.
About hard braking points I think it's a Mercedes advantage since the switch to Hybrid PU + Hamilton's style of driving increase that. It's down to their wheelbase, which is as you probably know the longest, and furthermore to their PU who still a little bit better, it give them a more powerful MGU-K harvesting, which gave also a better stability and balance on hard braking. I think the track who will show this really well will be Monza. But we've seen what I describe at Montreal for example, or during the past year at Monza where the Merc were simply unbeatable. And I think that's also why their MGU-K is so fragile, sensitive (especially in 2014, Canada failure, Abu Dhabi failure...)

For the medium (to almost high speed) corner it's a fair point, I was just saying this is not a high speed corner track, and Ferrari are not nowhere on high speed corner.

I think at Baku there was a lot of them 100-150kmh corner in the sector one ?

Manoah2u

Curious to see what RedBull might do here. They said they focused on Hungaroring as it suits their car a lot more. If they manage to qualify in front of Ferrari,
then they could make it a very hard job for Ferrari to pass or get on the podium.

I'm expecting Lewis to dominate here but i think Bottas might come out strong too.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moose

Spoutnik wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 19:21
I think at Baku there was a lot of them 100-150kmh corner in the sector one ?
A very different type of 100-150km/h corner though. At Baku, those corners are mostly about hard braking stability into them, and then traction out of them. The ones at Hungary are much more about maintaining apex speed, and keeping a good flow through the corners.

justmoi

Hungary usually is one of those 'processional' tracks isn't it? Hard to overtake though not impossible

notsofast

Damon Hill almost won the race in a crap car twenty years ago.

Alonso, pretty please?

dren

It looks like the turning point of Mercedes out developing Ferrari has happened. I expect Mercedes to walk the race.
Honda!