HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

A 3 year old can count 4 supports while almighty engineer sees 2

Phil

Sorry, I meant a design like this:

Yes, I know, my Photoshop skills are really mad. :lol:

* And yes, I know it could be made to look more aesthetically pleasing. It was a 2 second PS job. But I thought this might look better than the stupid pillar in the middle and the ring on top.....
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A duplicate2

Phil wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 17:24
Sorry, I meant a design like this:

http://temp.conceptics.ch/f1_halo.jpg

Yes, I know, my Photoshop skills are really mad. :lol:
mad? Phil, it's pathetic. :lol: :lol: :lol: And I thought no one can be worse than me.

Phil

lol. thanks for that. :lol: (I was actually quite proud of my illustration :P :oops: :cry: )

My Ego: -1131 points.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RS200E

Worst idea from the FIA yet.

Now to reduce the G force when the car smashes into a barrier...

Scalextric slots on the track?
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

NYGIANTS

the shield that was trialed by vettel was the best looking i thought and if they could fully incorporate it to the design it would look even better. it would also attract not detract i think a new audience because it looks like a semi jet fighter canopy.

the problem that seb was having can be worked out with materials or reshaping because unlike a fighter pilot whose looking further out, F1 drivers are focusing on things (apex) that are closer approaching at great speed. no different than their visor on the their crash helmets.

NYGIANTS

Re: HALO Aprroved for 2018

adrianjordan wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 09:46
Shrieker wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 07:45
We got used to those horrendous noses. We’ll get used to this. And i bet at least some teams will find a way to make it blend in with the car/livery and look good ;) For example, this doesn't look bad me thinks.

The bad thing tho is, it will maybe prevent a Bianchi, but most likely won’t prevent a Massa. And then what...

Also: This Halo device isn't a part of the 'triangle' when the car rolls. I don't think they're designing the car around it, the same way it's designed around the roll hoop and the (top side of the) tub. What happens when the car rolls ? IMHO it's not a far fetched scenario that the Halo might get pushed into the cockpit towards the driver's head/chest. That would not be good, and can not be ruled out convincingly.
Halo would not of saved Bianchi. The deceleration would still have been pretty much the same as with the roll hoop.
its sad but i agree. that crane should've never been on the track in the first place.

George-Jung

have they already crashtested the HALO?

OneAlex

I have two questions about this.

1) Why. Just why. (I suspect answer is someone high up in F1 needing a literal get-out-of-jail card)

2) Why would Ferrari of all teams support it. Their brand relies on an atmosphere of sexy styling and they've spent the last year trying to come up with a better looking alternative to avoid using the halo. What are they getting out of voting yes to this?

In fact. How can this even be enforced if every team bar Ferrari votes no? If it had been Sauber or Haas voting yes instead would it still be going through?

Moose

OneAlex wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 20:33

1) Why. Just why. (I suspect answer is someone high up in F1 needing a literal get-out-of-jail card)
Because it would have prevented several serious injuries across motorsport, and there's no downside to it.
2) Why would Ferrari of all teams support it. Their brand relies on an atmosphere of sexy styling and they've spent the last year trying to come up with a better looking alternative to avoid using the halo. What are they getting out of voting yes to this?
Because Ferrari weren't a fan of the headline "Filipe Massa seriously injured while driving a Ferrari, may die", and don't want another one like it.

Manoah2u

Moose wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 22:04
OneAlex wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 20:33

Because it would have prevented several serious injuries across motorsport, and there's no downside to it.
Because Ferrari weren't a fan of the headline "Filipe Massa seriously injured while driving a Ferrari, may die", and don't want another one like it.
lol @ bringing up 2.

this device brings NO difference to that. there is NO screen to protect, so the spring that came off the Brawn would STILL impact the driver today [even though Helmet technology has advanced after that incident]. So it's really incorrect to use that example.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NYGIANTS

also there's no guarantee that the Halo would've saved Jules. in fact i think it would've been even more severe the impact at speed and stopping abruptly.

Jolle

NYGIANTS wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 23:05
also there's no guarantee that the Halo would've saved Jules. in fact i think it would've been even more severe the impact at speed and stopping abruptly.
Jules was killed by driving too fast and crashing against JCB under double waved yellows. No crash structure could have saved him and because of that we have a VSC now.

The Halo protects against large object on track (like wheels, nose cones and cars) that will break your neck plus extra protection for when you hit a barrier under a freak angle (like Wehrlein at Monaco or Heidfelt at the first E-GP). It’s not for small debris. Helmets are made stronger for that.

I expect that the Halo will get similar crash tests like the nose and side impact systems and will have a failing point that (far) extends an otherwise deadly accident. So no snapping off.

I also expect that teams get a little freedom how to shape it, within crashtest rules and will look less bad then these plastic prototypes.

NYGIANTS

Jolle wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 23:32
NYGIANTS wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 23:05
Jules was killed by driving too fast and crashing against JCB under double waved yellows. No crash structure could have saved him and because of that we have a VSC now.

The Halo protects against large object on track (like wheels, nose cones and cars) that will break your neck plus extra protection for when you hit a barrier under a freak angle (like Wehrlein at Monaco or Heidfelt at the first E-GP). It’s not for small debris. Helmets are made stronger for that.

I expect that the Halo will get similar crash tests like the nose and side impact systems and will have a failing point that (far) extends an otherwise deadly accident. So no snapping off.

I also expect that teams get a little freedom how to shape it, within crashtest rules and will look less bad then these plastic prototypes.
that crane at suzuka should've never been on the track.

the halo still wouldn't have prevented what happened to massa with the spring.

i'm still for the canopy...

Phil

For all the pain in what happened to Bianci, isnt it ironic that the one thing the FIA should have done, and that is to clarify what a double waved yellow means, so utterly failed to do just a year later when Rosberg set a new fastest lap under such waved yellows with little more than just a lift?

How can the sport be expected to save lives coming up with pathetic safety measures when the one basic thing is ignored - that being that clear warning signs of a dangerous hazard on track ahead and that drivers are expected to lift significantly and be able to stop immediately within the visible part of the track?

Its like you have a road with a speed limit, but instead of enforcing it, you build the cars stronger...
Last edited by Phil on 22 Jul 2017, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
#Team44 supporter