2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
drunkf1fan

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

garyjpaterson wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 10:11
godlameroso wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 00:58
No rain expected all weekend long. 2014 was dry and it was a crazy race so it's not a complete given.
Wasn't 2014 very wet indeed at the start? I remember Lewis, starting from the pitlane spinning at T2 and just touching the wall.

iirc it was wet but not very wet at all, inters but starting from the pitlane meant Ham had zero brake temp going into the first corners and he got away with a very light tap of the wall. The rest of his race was excellent but that was semi amateur move, he had months of catching up Rosberg after that Aussie race and he was desperate to finish high up, he just wasn't prepared to take it easy for a few corners to get the car into a better working window all around.

Then I'm thinking safety car near the start, almost everyone switched to dries except Mclaren who stayed on inters, moved up as a result but were swamped after a lap or two. The majority of the race was dry and the race was kinda all over the place as you had fast cars out of position, people trying different strategies and Mclaren with their bold move to use the inters in practically dry conditions :p

Considering the kind of track it is, twisty and with short straights it tends to be pretty good as there are decent places for people to try bold moves in corners.

I do think without failures or big surprises, I think Merc and Ham will walk away with this one though.

PlatinumZealot

This race is always interesting. The results is heavily based on qualifying postion, undercuts and traffic! We already know its a runaway for Hamilton already, it's one of his favourit tracks, but what about Vettel, Bottas and Kimi? And lets not leave out the red Bull drivers as real contenders. What are their results like for this circuit?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

With performance coming to a convergence on a track that is notorious to pass on, pit stop strategy for clean air becomes a huge thing.

I don't know the math exactly, but getting onto the hard tire on lap 1-2, and doing a late stop when the window opens for clear air, soft tires, 1/4 fuel load might be the sleeper strategy.

If everyone is wasting their tires in traffic, but you can maximize yours, I think you are going to challenge for the win.

Wet race? Anyone's guess. Hungary should be the permanently wet track that Bernie was after. This race is always epic in the wet, and always dull when dry.

ClarkBT11

Phil wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 09:23

Great post +1.

NathanOlder

Red Bull bringing massive updates , surely this should be definitely the last update for them this year. With Ferrari and Mercedes head to head for a title, they can't afford to stop the development of thier cars. Giving Red bull a MASSIVE chance to get a jump on the big 2.

Or will it be Marko and Horner complaining about Renault for another year.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

All I want to know, will turn 11 be flat in qualifying this year?
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

No, they'll lift and drop four gears and be rubbish and slow...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ME4ME

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 20:13
Red Bull bringing massive updates , surely this should be definitely the last update for them this year. With Ferrari and Mercedes head to head for a title, they can't afford to stop the development of thier cars. Giving Red bull a MASSIVE chance to get a jump on the big 2.

Or will it be Marko and Horner complaining about Renault for another year.
:wtf:

ChrisDanger

godlameroso wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 23:38
All I want to know, will turn 11 be flat in qualifying this year?
Several drivers will claim it's flat, but careful analysis of onboard footage will show a slight reduction in speed at turn in, resulting in pages of arguments and insults and a general tendency for people to require that everyone must see things exactly as they do.

Or there will be some other minutia to argue about. Unless we actually have a controversial incident. Then unleash the floodgates as everyone will want their say.

Phil

Did you guys consider that perhaps some corners are flat (throttle wise), but due to the compression, the car itself at that speed no longer has the power to retain the speed despite being flat?

I.e Silverstone where Hamiltons footage shower hin shifting down a gear and taking sone corners in 7th gear instead of 8th?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ChrisDanger

Phil wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 10:26
Did you guys consider...
The problem with any of these arguments is that people are so certain of whatever it is they think, but don't know that they don't know all the variables. I mean, it was most certainly not my intention to resume the argument, but take more of a meta-analysis that arguments are themselves rather pointless, or at least to the extent that sometimes appear here, devolving into insults and ultimately ending in simply posting the single word "whatever".

Juzh

Phil wrote:
Did you guys consider that perhaps some corners are flat (throttle wise), but due to the compression, the car itself at that speed no longer has the power to retain the speed despite being flat?

I.e Silverstone where Hamiltons footage shower hin shifting down a gear and taking sone corners in 7th gear instead of 8th?
Lets stay civil. Honest question here to counter this argument. Why the RB6 with a 750 bhp torqueless V8 didn't need a downshift, but somehow W08 with ~1000 bhp and massive torque does?

https://vimeo.com/198559914

ChrisDanger

Juzh wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 11:44
Honest question here to counter this argument.

I'm not arguing for or against (because it doesn't matter to me either way) but would the number of available gears make a difference? I mean, as one possible factor that doesn't seem to be in your comparison. Perhaps there are more.

Anyway, the previous race thread is still open, if you'd like to continue this discussion that started there, and probably also belongs there.

Phil

Juzh wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 11:44
Phil wrote:

Lets stay civil. Honest question here to counter this argument. Why the RB6 with a 750 bhp torqueless V8 didn't need a downshift, but somehow W08 with ~1000 bhp and massive torque does?

https://vimeo.com/198559914
Different power band, different downforce levels, different drag levels, different grip, different speed, different car (weight)?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

Don't forget different transmissions with a fixed set of gearing for the season.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत