HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Moose

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

NYGIANTS wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 23:05
also there's no guarantee that the Halo would've saved Jules. in fact i think it would've been even more severe the impact at speed and stopping abruptly.
I don't understand why everyone is talking about Bianchi. The Halo is not intended to prevent, or mittigate accidents like that. There's basically nothing that can be done to solve that kind of accident save from not putting 5 ton cranes on a live track.

The goal of the halo is to protect against accidents like Massa's, Willson's and Wheldon's, where the driver is struck on the head by a substantial object.

Phil

Is it? The Halo looks pretty open to me (at least Massas accident). Next thing they will want to protect against smaller objects like flying screws. Then we are back to shields that pose even bigger threats when becoming dirty. Imagine driving behind a competitors whos engine is about to go spraying oil out the back.

There will always be something until we reach the point our favorite drivers will be sitting in enclosed offices with joypads controlling their 500kmh bullets in again enclosed race tracks (because G forces wont pose a problem anymore).

Actually, if the future looks like WipEout, bring it on. God i wish that game. Damn you Sony. :(
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NYGIANTS

Moose wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 18:03
NYGIANTS wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 23:05
also there's no guarantee that the Halo would've saved Jules. in fact i think it would've been even more severe the impact at speed and stopping abruptly.
I don't understand why everyone is talking about Bianchi. The Halo is not intended to prevent, or mittigate accidents like that. There's basically nothing that can be done to solve that kind of accident save from not putting 5 ton cranes on a live track.

The goal of the halo is to protect against accidents like Massa's, Willson's and Wheldon's, where the driver is struck on the head by a substantial object.
the reason people bring up jules all this stemmed from his accident. if that crane was never on the track we wouldn't be talking about cockpit safety.

same reason why after senna and rolands death the side bolsters have risen to where drivers no longer lean their heads into a turn.

Moose

NYGIANTS wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 18:23
same reason why after senna and rolands death the side bolsters have risen to where drivers no longer lean their heads into a turn.
Notably, at the time, I remember vividly people complaining that the high cockpit sides were ugly as hell, and would cause the end of Formula 1 as we knew it.

NYGIANTS

Moose wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 20:00
NYGIANTS wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 18:23
Notably, at the time, I remember vividly people complaining that the high cockpit sides were ugly as hell, and would cause the end of Formula 1 as we knew it.
true because they couldn't see what the drivers were doing without onboard cameras.

the high cockpit sides also mades its way to road car design and safety. current cars today the door sill vs window frame is at the highest point ever and that has to do with the number of suv on the road and increased side impact safety. but i long for the cars in the 90s where shoulders were exposed through the window frame.
Last edited by NYGIANTS on 22 Jul 2017, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

NYGIANTS

the aeroscreen or shield can lead to this. if so id take it even if its not part of the open wheel racing ethos.

https://drivetribe.com/p/f1-2025-vision ... hEFtj7c3JQ

adrianjordan

Got those look good...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Shrieker

So I came across these whilst browsing reddit. Some of them look a bit better than what we have atm.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

morefirejules08

Shrieker wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 03:13
So I came across these whilst browsing reddit. Some of them look a bit better than what we have atm.
I think moving the shoulder cams up makes the halo look much better

adrianjordan

I think if they were to put a camera inside the middle upright then that could provide some pretty cool angles!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

i think this improves the look pretty amazingly, really

unfortunately, won't see that as the round bar shape is mandated.

in general though - how are they gonna see the traffic lights now with the halo blocking the view??
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

morefirejules08

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 11:24
i think this improves the look pretty amazingly, really

http://i.imgur.com/amS7nwD.jpg

unfortunately, won't see that as the round bar shape is mandated.

in general though - how are they gonna see the traffic lights now with the halo blocking the view??
Have the regulations regarding halo been written and published yet?

jjn9128

The halo regs have not been published (at least I can't find them) but all the teams when they trialled the device had the same dimensions so there must be a template out there.

None of those renders make the halo look any better, as well as making it downright dangerous, this goes for other renders I've seen of canopies and screens. What the halo needs is free air space around the drivers head, i.e. in the event of a deceleration the driver's head doesn't hit the safety device, it would be kinda self defeating otherwise. Interestingly this is what the FIA highlighted as the main issue with Red Bull's aeroscreen, so I'm not sure why they didn't just move the reinforcing bar out to the halo dimensions - or why Red Bull didn't use the halo dimensions when designing the aeroscreen. Perhaps to wrap the screen around required a tighter curvature than the halo, or the halo is actually wider than the cockpit?

It only needs to save one life to be worthwhile, the cockpit side protection was despised (esp. Ferrari in '96) but has saved numerous drivers (Perez at Monaco immediately springs to mind) so to the HANS device. I think after a while we'll stop noticing it or at least move on the next outrage.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

EvilPhil II

When a driver crashes with the Halo and struggles to get out the car, then it will be banned on safety grounds too.

TAG

They're getting rid of the shark fin and the T hanging off the tip. So they had to do something.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत