Voting system updates - Call for suggestions

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Phil

Re: Voting system updates - Call for suggestions

I just realized another reason why the voting system must be receiving so much of criticism - because some members use it in a cowardly way to argue points in an anonymous way without the ability of the poster to address the argument.

Example:

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 15#p702415

Phil wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 09:21
So easy to forget that shameful case with vanderGarde?

And yet, if she hadn't - Sauber might not have driven at all in the entire season. But maybe you should go back to the team topic of that season to refresh your memory on the complex circumstances that led to those decisions (i.e. the upfront payments to suppliers as a result of 3 backmarker teams in dire money problems and going bust).
downvote wrote:the decision and act always were unprofessional and very very badly executed, no matter the circumstances
Surely this type of votes is not what the system was designed for. Maybe a simple way to solve it would be to make votes not anonymous? Assuming votes of posts can be looked at by all members by clicking on the rating icon of a given post, it would show who is using (at least down votes) it for what reason. And maybe encourage more responsible voting as a result of them being public?

On the other hand, if votes were not anonymous, it may encourage "voting wars" where posters will engage in down voting each other to annoy each other, so maybe not such a good idea. But hiding behind the anonymity is surely not encouraging good behavior either...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Steven
Owner

Phil wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 13:54
I just realized another reason why the voting system must be receiving so much of criticism - because some members use it in a cowardly way to argue points in an anonymous way without the ability of the poster to address the argument.
Agreed on this particular instance. And as asked previously, always report such improper ratings, so that we can act on them.

Votes are currently anonymous to avoid both voting wars among members as well as the creation of voting clans. I would be in favour of making them public, but such reciprocating votes might be difficult to police.

strad

I think the problem could be solved rather easily
I think it could be solved rather easily if people would just quit carping about it and get on with discussing more important things.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ME4ME

Lost 7-8 points over night, no notifications. Funny. No big deal though, any changes made to the system?

Steven
Owner

ME4ME wrote:
02 Jul 2017, 10:43
Lost 7-8 points over night, no notifications. Funny. No big deal though, any changes made to the system?
Still working on it. All ratings from the silly season threads for instance have been removed (partly because it had become a downvote fest on opinions, and because some older silly season threads had voting disabled anyway, so things are aligned now.

While doing this, lots of "I agree" or "This is funny" votes were encountered, and all that I've come across have been annulled. Several members have been informed that they should use the system along its intentions.

The result is that some people will see their ratings go down a bit, but that's only because you received such incorrect votes. Some will see their rating up a bit, due to removal of "Disagree" downvotes.

Overall, this should make the user ratings more aligned with the intended use of the system

Webber2011

So what's the go when someone down votes you, and gives the reason "Whining about rep points, shut the f@ck up ?

I find that a little offensive considering what I posted, what I have posted during my time here, and my general respect for the voting system compared to other forums.

Can you Mod's see the reasons given for votes ?

Basically all I was doing was asking why someone would down vote me for posting something positive about Bottas' chances this season.

Edit: Just found the original post and the reason for that down vote would suggest it's the same person I've upset lol :lol:
Webber2011 wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 11:48
I'm not quite sure how Valtteri will go next year ?
There's so many variables that it's hard to predict.

The regulation changes might help even things out, but as has been mentioned Lewis' time, results, and presence within the team should still give him a slight upper hand.

One thing I can't discount, is Bottas is moving to a car that without doubt will be a massive upgrade from the Williams.

This to me is the most important thing because confidence is an incredible motivator.

Just look at Max this season.
He might be the next coming according to some, but the step up to a much more well oiled team and machine allowed him to shine with his new car quite quickly.

Same with Daniel Ricciardo's move to Red Bull.
Say whatever you want about Seb' having an off year, but Dan smashed him !

I believe it's much, much easier for a guy who's been in a midfield team to get to grips with a car that is way above anything he's driven to date.

If Bottas had stayed with Williams, (as much as I love them, they're my favourite team), I reckon he would have stagnated in a year or two, but first few laps in the Merc' are going put a massive smile on his face.

If he has the natural talent some think he does, there might be a few upsets this coming season because he's going to be on such a high that only driving the best car you've had to date can give you :wink:
Reason for down vote : "Stratospheric Stupidity with Fanboy Logic"

Haha :lol:
Really ? ? ?

Seriously, the voting system seems great here compared to some Forums I visit.
The idea of a minimum amount of rep points before being able to down vote is a master stroke.

But there does seem to be people here with enough rep points who are allowed to vote with their own fanboyism as the motivator, instead of the true content of the post they dislike.

Phil

I'd be interested to know if there ever was a legitimate downvote cast on here...

It's a genuine question. People that annoy me (and some of those have negative counts, but not all) are on my ignore list. Other posters who abuse forum rules like by attacking personally or being disrespectful, well, there is a report button for that...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Steven
Owner

First of all, downvotes should not be complained about in posts. If one encounters a strange/inappropriate vote, report the post to the mods so we can check it out. It's actually in the forum regulations asking for or complaining about votes is not allowed.
And yes, mods can see who made the vote, and the reasons given as well.

Please note that in my recent cleanup, quite a number of (down)votes were deleted, all because they were against the system's intentions. It might be miseducation from Facebook, I don't know, so if we need to add even more clarity what a vote is for, do give your suggestions. As you know, you get a short explanation in the popup already.
I'm doing my best to continue close scrutineering, as downvote fests and "I like" votes make the system useless.

Downvotes were introduced mainly because technical members were getting particularly annoyed by the inability to call members out on their outright wrong physics, or opinions stated as facts. It has become more widely used for other reasons, so perhaps we need more clarifications there as well, hence use downvotes for less, and use more reporting to the mods instead.

Again, suggestions welcome, always.

Greg Locock

Phil, I've certainly downvoted posts in technical threads that were wrong, or irrelevant. I usually explain why in a followup post if they are wrong, if they are just stupid then I don't bother. Quite why a forum that claims to be 'technical' allows votes in the idiotic fanboi threads I don't know.

Phil

Good point. I suppose i just dont like the concept of "wrong" on what is essentially a discussion forum. I think on any forum, it goes to say (and IMO is common sense) that all posts are opinions without the necessity for having a disclaimer in the signature to point out the obvious. No one should be judge and jury - even the more credible members on here.

I have seen posts being downvoted for mere inaccuracies because someone obviously got a kick out of "knowing better". I find it extremely displeasing especially when that post went through a large effort to convey a point of a much larger picture, even when some basics end up being wrong. I freely admit, i am way less technically minded than most veterans here, but i find most posts, even the technically inaccurate ones to be very enlighting, especially because they usually lead to constructive discussion.

Downvotes just seem like the wrong way to go around the problem IMO. If something is inaccurate or wrong - point it out and have a discussion about it. This is a discussion forum after all and as such, all (most) posts, especially those that contribute to the technical topics, should be encouraged and rewarded, even those that perhaps get some things wrong in the process.
#Team44 supporter

Greg Locock

I've seen posts that are totally misleading or wrong headed in a technical thread as opposed to typical my favorite driver silliness threads, get upvoted, and I don't think it is an abuse to downvote them to deemphasise them.

J.A.W.

Steven wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 13:06
First of all, downvotes should not be complained about in posts. If one encounters a strange/inappropriate vote, report the post to the mods so we can check it out. It's actually in the forum regulations asking for or complaining about votes is not allowed.
And yes, mods can see who made the vote, and the reasons given as well.

Please note that in my recent cleanup, quite a number of (down)votes were deleted, all because they were against the system's intentions. It might be miseducation from Facebook, I don't know, so if we need to add even more clarity what a vote is for, do give your suggestions. As you know, you get a short explanation in the popup already.
I'm doing my best to continue close scrutineering, as downvote fests and "I like" votes make the system useless...
Hi Steven, here's a "suggestion" - if you want to audit "downvote fests"..
..feel free to reverse the many malicious downvotes improperly listed in my account..
Cheers.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.

Hi Steven,
I note that one of the "usual suspects" in hitting me with spurious downvotes has been at it again..
..so I've duly reported the instances - per your request.. I await proper recourse, ta..

Edit: So, its now a couple of days later.. & I'm still, ah.. patiently.. waiting.. ( & not holding my breath, frankly..)

strad

this gets funny.
What is the complaint?
I have lost points for things I haven't said.
So what?
Does my ego reside in that silly score?
Does yours any of you? Really?
Why do you care what you score is or what others think?
Is a +1 the only positive reinforcement you get?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

J.A.W.

strad wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 19:24
this gets funny.
What is the complaint?
I have lost points for things I haven't said.
So what?
Does my ego reside in that silly score?
Does yours any of you? Really?
Why do you care what you score is or what others think?
Is a +1 the only positive reinforcement you get?
So, strad..
Hmmm.. what is it.. just what is it.. that you are actually suggesting, then? L.O.L...