2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

ringo wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 19:51
SR71 wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 01:57
Total Ferrari track. Hamilton needs to win here or his title chances are over.

Probably see Ferrari overtake Merc in WCC at this race.
ermm. not really. :?

Vettel and ferrari under more pressure to win now actually.
Plus Vettel has a few TC penalties to come.

Vegetabill

Vasconia wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 08:45
Manoah2u wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 23:23
where did their performance go? is it really the oil burning? :wtf:
FIA also stated they're going to intensify scrutineering on oil burning. could bring some interesting results. I have read somewhere that those restrictions will be even bigger from Monza.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Ferrari were asked to stiffen the slots in the leading edge of the floor before Hungary to prevent flexing. Not sure if there is anything in it but may be something they are working to compensate for.

Edit links

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/32420/ ... nd-ferrari

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.moto ... 29647/amp/

NathanOlder

Yeah I think this is almost a must win for Ferrari. Everyone saying how it will suit them. If they cant win this one,

Almost game over for them.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Fulcrum

The Mercedes pace is looking pretty ominous to me. Bottas breezed through the field in GB and Baku. Lewis was driving well within the cars limits and still pulling away from Raikkonen. Granted, most often this year Vettel has been the faster of the two Ferrari drivers, but in GB this was not the case.

Vettel had been extremely consistent up to Canada, but 3 of the last 4 races have seen him make mistakes, or experience bad luck. If he doesn't maintain his earlier consistency - basically being on the podium every race - I can't see him competing with either Mercedes for the remainder of the season.

As for the Constructors Championship, the trend suggests Mercedes will retain it fairly comfortably by year end unless Ferrari produce a significant update to their car.

GPR-A duplicate2

SR71 wrote:

All this while, I didn't realize that the cumulative points for 1st and 2nd position in a race, is more than 55! :lol:

Gerhardsa

SR71 wrote:

I rather think Vettel needs to win, because even though he leads the WDC, he is on the back foot in a big way.

Also, I don't see how you did your math on the WCC points. Maybe you should try again? :wink:
EDIT: sorry for beating the same drum.
I see GPR already commented on the WCC points "situation"

NathanOlder

Also remember Vettel has been extremely lucky with FIA/Steward decisions this season. If all was fair I think he would be a good 20pts behind by now.

Maybe SR71 knows something we dont? Maybe as of 2017 the Championship Crown is given to the winner of the Hungarian Grand Prix ???? All I can think of ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

kalinka

Weather update from local forecast service :

https://www.idokep.hu/idojaras/Mogyor%C3%B3d

A bit higher temps each day. 30% chance of rain for Sunday in form of quick showers.

Vasconia

kalinka wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 08:41
Weather update from local forecast service :

https://www.idokep.hu/idojaras/Mogyor%C3%B3d

A bit higher temps each day. 30% chance of rain for Sunday in form of quick showers.
30% is not a lot but at least we can hope for a little rain which could bring some chaos.

GoranF1

What time CET press confarence starts and is there a stream?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ChrisDanger

GoranF1 wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 12:33
Part 1 is at 15h00 local time, or 14h00 CET. Part 2 follows.

I don't know if there's a live stream, but they're usually uploaded to YouTube soon afterwards. I'll post links here if nobody else does.

GoranF1

ChrisDanger wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 13:21
GoranF1 wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 12:33
Part 1 is at 15h00 local time, or 14h00 CET. Part 2 follows.

I don't know if there's a live stream, but they're usually uploaded to YouTube soon afterwards. I'll post links here if nobody else does.
thanks...but i think Hungary is the CET.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

F1NAC

Manoah2u wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 21:06
Ferrari is undoubtedly closing in on grid penalties with their engine and gearbox lifespans. The question will be, when are they going to go and risk getting penalties? The season is just half done, and in the WDC they're more or less tied with Mercedes [Ham], so there's room for a few blows still. But in the WCC they're slipping behind fast, so it's actually becoming a neccesity to get potential worries out of the way so you can benefit when it matters.

That means if during Hungary, RB is looking to be very strong, and Mercedes too, then perhaps you should concede with getting some grid penalties. If the chances are you're going to finish 4th or 5th either way, then better get that out of the way, as they're still fast enough in any case to reach between p4-p6 anyway after taking penalties. Perhaps they'll even get lucky and something happens in front.

The other option is to keep pushing at the limit, and still ending up p4, p5, the same growing difference in the WCC standings, and Hamilton slowly stepping in front of Vettel in the WDC in Hungary and Spa, and then reaching home soil in Italy and needing a grid penalty either way and starting from at best p8 at the start, with little possibility to somehow even end up on the podium.

It would thus be better to serve some penalties in a tactical manner, take it on the chest, manage to get the most out of Hungary and SPA, and then when reaching Italy, you'll have fresh engine to use and perhaps even 'up the wick' alittle and start from P3 the least - perhaps even a P2 or Pole is possible - and then give it all to grab a guaranteed podium or hopefully even beat the Mercs and get P1 [and P2!].
The way Ferrari are doing things now won't get them there. so something must happen, and it must happen fast.

You don't want to have grid penalties in Monza [home crowd], Singapore [risky track], COTA [ i think Favours Ferrari this year] and Mexico [even last year they did rather well there], and then slap yourself in the face when your competitors make errors or get problems which gets you close instead of way ahead in the race.
Maybe Ferrari wont get any penalties this season regarding PU elements. They can rotate turbos. And what do you mean on gearbox side? This year Merc had more problems than Ferrari. WCC is pretty much done deal this year while WDC is leaning towards one side

dans79

F1NAC wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 14:00
Maybe Ferrari wont get any penalties this season regarding PU elements. They can rotate turbos.
Yes they can rotate them, but their is no logical reason to have your entire seasons allocation in your pool already. You loose the ability to introduce an upgrade without taking a penalty.
197 104 103 7

TAG

F1NAC wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 14:00
Maybe Ferrari wont get any penalties this season regarding PU elements. They can rotate turbos.
Maybe turbochargers are just like drive axles that you can swap them left to right an get more life out of them? :mrgreen:

I laughed out loud reading that. Seriously, thank you.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत