2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

f1universe wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:56
What's up with Hamilton and this "off" weekends?. Kudos to him for giving the position back to Bottas.
He has a bad Q3. That was the only off part of the weekend
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:40
Treble wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:25
For all the people talking about Ferrari and Mercedes different strategies. It's been 10 years since the last Ferrari win. Mercedes has been winning for many years now. This year finally with an incredible job on the chassis Ferrari managed to close the gap without a super Power Unit. It's pretty obvious that Ferrari at this point of the championship with Raikkonen with only the half of the points of Vettel decide to back their strongest driver.
In the Merc Box, at the end, i saw TOTO WOLF very angry against Lauda. Anyone knows the reason?
Lauda probably gave instructions without Toto's permission. By protocol only Toto can give high level decisions outside of the strategist's prescription.
I have a different view. On RTL they had both on screen and at the end, Lauda said something along the line "he now agrees with Toto". Toto was very outspoken about keeping the deal of the bargin (to let Bottas back into 3rd), so I am fairly confident Lauda was arguing to NOT swap the positions back.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

LionKing
LionKing

TAG wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:44
Oh and let's not overlook the obvious, were the shoe on the other foot Vettel wouldn't have given the position back to his teammate. But that's why we support the drivers we support. :mrgreen:
I don't think Vettel would have asked for it in the first place. Did Vettel ask to be let by in China?

ismail1991
ismail1991

LionKing wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:51
TAG wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:44
Oh and let's not overlook the obvious, were the shoe on the other foot Vettel wouldn't have given the position back to his teammate. But that's why we support the drivers we support. :mrgreen:
I don't think Vettel would have asked for it in the first place. Did Vettel ask to be let by in China?
It doesn't matter Vettel asks or not and he had asked several times in the previous years. Ferrari would always find a way to put Vettel in front of the Raikkonnen like we saw in Monaco

LionKing
LionKing

ismail1991 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:57
It doesn't matter Vettel asks or not and he had asked several times in the previous years. Ferrari would always find a way to put Vettel in front of the Raikkonnen like we saw in Monaco
Can you tell me which races those are?

Phil

jz11 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 15:23
Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 13:53
People should enjoy Max and the spectacle he is offering.

Its great that we have Max in the sport.
was this a sarcastic comment? because so far he pretty much single handedly ruined the race for me at least, and the team, just by being himself...

and it is not like 1st lap incidents involving him are something new, he had enough time to mature and not make these screw ups, especially involving his team mate
I wasn't, and I am a big supporter of Dan (-> I'm Australian too). But hey, the Kid (Max) has balls and I love him for that ruthlessness. He is making F1 entertaining and I think the sport is better for it. If all were driving like Button and Kimi (IMO sone of the least aggressive drivers outthere), it just would be kind of boring.

And yes, I am mad at Max for punting Dan out. And as for the 10 second penalty. IMO it was deserved given that if Dan hadn't been there, I'd argue he wouldn't have made the corner or at the very least compromised his position even more to the point he'd be behind him anyway if not behind Hamilton too. Dan was the innocent by-stander in this and I felt gutted for him to crash out like that. I'd still rather have Max in the sport (and in a car capable of being at the front) than not. Absolutely.

But I pretty much stand by what I said earlier. He's young and his balls are clearly bigger than his head. Which IMO is a good thing. But it won't last and with time and hopefully with a better car and higher stakes, he will mature and calm down. They all do (if they are smart). So yeah, enjoy the spectacle while it lasts.

Hamilton, as much as I loved his aggressive driving when he came into F1, is a better driver for not being that anymore now.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ismail1991
ismail1991

LionKing wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:03
ismail1991 wrote:
2016 Azebeijan comes to my mind now. In addition, at monaco Ferrari swapped them in the pits.

Chene_Mostert

ismail1991 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:16
LionKing wrote:
ismail1991 wrote:
2016 Azebeijan comes to my mind now. In addition, at monaco Ferrari swapped them in the pits.
well, if you would stop lying to your self you will find that at Monaco, Kimmi at no point could match the lap times of Seb before or after the pit stops, so actually nothing was "swapped" in the pits, it all happened with lap times.
So, it looks like Mad Max is the new "torpedo" of F, Horner looked very uncomfortable during interview.
Big strategic error by Merc today, but Lewis might take back the Favour with interest. What I find very concerning is how good a challange Botas is to Lewis considering he is the Newbie in the car.
Last edited by Chene_Mostert on 30 Jul 2017, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

LionKing
LionKing

Chene_Mostert wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:20
ismail1991 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:16
LionKing wrote:

well, if you would stop lying to your self you will find that at Monaco, Kimmi at no point could match the lap times of Seb before or after the pit stops, so actually nothing was "swapped" in the pits, it all happened with lap times.
Vettel was quite in front of Kimi at Baku. Though he stayed out without pitting a lot longer than him. He came up be behind Kimi after the pit stop being undercut for so many laps. Then he caught Kimi on fresh rubber. I really don't remember Vettel asking for anything there. Kimi would have been DRSed at the end of start finish anyway...
Last edited by LionKing on 30 Jul 2017, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

Can you guys quitt talking about other races? We've already had these discussions in the respective race topics. :roll:

Maybe even better, we should have this topic in the team-thread where team-orders are relevant and IMO should be discussed.
#Team44 supporter

Chene_Mostert

Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:27
Can you guys quitt talking about other races? We've already had these discussions in the respective race topics. :roll:

Maybe even better, we should have this topic in the team-thread where team-orders are relevant and IMO should be discussed.
Okay.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Chene_Mostert

Outside of the Ferrari reliability concerns it was a typical Hungarian GP, all the tyre concerns came to nothing, a wide window one stopper... Too any one stop races in 2017. Good drive by Alonso and he does have a sense of Humor!

ismail1991
ismail1991

Chene_Mostert wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:29
Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:27

Okay.
Okay, but I am entitled to say my opinion. Saying to someone else stop lying is not nice @Chene_Mostert. everybody knows what happens in Ferrari

emp
emp

Last 20 laps quite tense. Would have been even better with Max in the mix too.

f1316
f1316

Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:27
f1316 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:28
Fairly odd reaction on here. If you race the entire distance with a steering issue and maintain a pace good enough to keep your rivals behind you (and yes, Alonso showed that if your pace delta is big enough you can overtake - even with a slower engine) then you've done a pretty good job and deserve a real sense of satisfaction.
That's just it though. You can tell me what you want, but IMO it was quite clear to me that Kimi wasn't allowed to pass Vettel. He was on the radio, practically begging the team to let him by and yet it felt like they were letting him out to dry for the Mercedes just to defend the win for Vettel at all costs. Given the issue that Vettel was nursing to the finish line, Kimi could have been way more aggressive and put on more pressure, yet we saw none of that.
Maybe. Personally I think Vettel's pace was sufficient that Kimi couldn't get close enough on a circuit like this - not without a mistake.

In any case, the team would be foolish to move their drivers around in that situation unless there was a real threat from Hamilton and Kimi was fairly comfortable so undoubtedly the team did the right thing.

Going back to my main point though, Seb had a really tough afternoon with a defective car and personally think he managed it well (with luck that happened on a difficult to overtake track) with no mistakes and so has every right to celebrate.