2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
marvin78
marvin78

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

Yeah. But VER he took himself and RIC out. So...

LionKing
LionKing

f1316 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 19:02
Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:27
f1316 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:28
Fairly odd reaction on here. If you race the entire distance with a steering issue and maintain a pace good enough to keep your rivals behind you (and yes, Alonso showed that if your pace delta is big enough you can overtake - even with a slower engine) then you've done a pretty good job and deserve a real sense of satisfaction.
That's just it though. You can tell me what you want, but IMO it was quite clear to me that Kimi wasn't allowed to pass Vettel. He was on the radio, practically begging the team to let him by and yet it felt like they were letting him out to dry for the Mercedes just to defend the win for Vettel at all costs. Given the issue that Vettel was nursing to the finish line, Kimi could have been way more aggressive and put on more pressure, yet we saw none of that.
Maybe. Personally I think Vettel's pace was sufficient that Kimi couldn't get close enough on a circuit like this - not without a mistake.

In any case, the team would be foolish to move their drivers around in that situation unless there was a real threat from Hamilton and Kimi was fairly comfortable so undoubtedly the team did the right thing.

Going back to my main point though, Seb had a really tough afternoon with a defective car and personally think he managed it well (with luck that happened on a difficult to overtake track) with no mistakes and so has every right to celebrate.
Considering how many mistakes Lewis had during quali yesterday, just single error easily would have cost Vettel the win today. He did not have one despite the steering issues.

Chene_Mostert

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:24
Kimi was able to manage Lewis by being slower in the twisty bits where you can't overtake and then accelerating in to the gap behind Seb on the bits you can overtake. It was masterful by him in that regard. I think a wounded Seb won't have had that luxury so would have been an easier opportunity for Lewis had Ferrari allowed Kimi to race.

Kimi looks pissed off and knows that the team consider him to be a road block for Seb. But I guess he'll bank the pay cheque and consider it a "day at the office". Would that we all got paid so well for covering someone else's behind for them.

Classy by Mercedes and Hamilton. They will have earned a lot of respect for that. Bottas looked a little unhappy because he knows he wasn't fast enough today. He also knows he owes the team one in the future.
Kimmi Pissed off...
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

sosic2121
sosic2121

Fulcrum wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:16
I didn't like it, but keeping Raikkonen behind Vettel made the most sense for the Constructor result; although I don't think they maintained position for that reason.

Raikkonen could manage the gap with Hamilton, meaning Vettel never came under attack. If Raikkonen had been allowed through I suspect Hamilton would have had a much better chance of passing Vettel, and the Ferrari 1-2 becomes a highly likely 1-3.

The interesting thing would have been if the roles were reversed - as they have been for much of the season; Raikkonen leading with Vettel behind, and Hamilton in close company. I'm pretty confident Kimi would have been sacrificed in that scenario as well.
I pretty much agree with you.

Was kimi forbidden to attack Seb, or was he just not let trough?

iotar__

sosic2121 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 19:40
Fulcrum wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:16
I didn't like it, but keeping Raikkonen behind Vettel made the most sense for the Constructor result; although I don't think they maintained position for that reason.
I pretty much agree with you.

Was kimi forbidden to attack Seb, or was he just not let trough?
They lost WCC before the season started, this race had nothing to do with it.

- As for "attacking" (unless you're joking) I'm surprised Ferrari couldn't come up with "Monaco strategy" for Raikkonen since he was quicker and held up. Weird since all it takes is to put one driver into traffic and they didn't even need that here. The worst ones are those lying to themselves.

- "Hamilton hopes Bottas swap doesn't cost him title" A. which swap? B. No, pure racer should know that swaps don't cost titles, poor starts, being slower in Q and behind in the race cost them.
- He should be grateful for two Bahrain team orders, temporary swap farce and pretending that it could work. Also for Verstappen taking out two Red Bulls out of the way. Enough gifts even for one race.

PlatinumZealot

Chene_Mostert wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:34
Outside of the Ferrari reliability concerns it was a typical Hungarian GP, all the tyre concerns came to nothing, a wide window one stopper... Too any one stop races in 2017. Good drive by Alonso and he does have a sense of Humor!
it was really the safety car that pulled it back to being a one stopper. But you so have a point. They should aim to make the races mariginal three stops instead of maginal two stops. In that way even if a saftey car emerges we avoid the field-wide one stop strategies.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Chene_Mostert wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 19:24

Kimmi Pissed off...
...in the cool down room where Vettel was like a dog with two dicks. Kimi and Valtteri both look less than happy.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Chene_Mostert

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 20:20
Chene_Mostert wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 19:24

Kimmi Pissed off...
...in the cool down room where Vettel was like a dog with two dicks. Kimi and Valtteri both look less than happy.
like he does 100% of the time. maybe its a Finnish thing?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Redragon

Quote of the year Magnussen: "Suck my balls Mate" to Hulk

LionKing
LionKing

Redragon wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 20:34
Why would a guy say that to another one is the issue though...

George-Jung
George-Jung

LionKing wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 20:39
Redragon wrote:
I guess to insult someone??

But seriously, could someone explain to me why Max got such a harsh penalty- whereas Bottas never got any in previous/similar events??
Last edited by George-Jung on 30 Jul 2017, 20:50, edited 2 times in total.

krisfx
krisfx

Chene_Mostert wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:34
Outside of the Ferrari reliability concerns it was a typical Hungarian GP, all the tyre concerns came to nothing, a wide window one stopper... Too any one stop races in 2017. Good drive by Alonso and he does have a sense of Humor!
One stop: no pit action = Complaints from fans
Two/three stop: Tyres like chewing gum where drivers can't push = Complaints from fans

What fans want: Tyres that can be pushed for a full race at maximum attack like 70 qualifiers with the teams choosing to intentionally pit their car more than once.

It's a no win situation for Pirelli year in year out.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Vasconia wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:02
[...]
Both Teams have done what it was logic. Kudos for Lewis but Ferrari needed to secure Vettels victory. Mercedes would have done the same, as anyone else.
Erm Vettel would still have been further ahead than before the lights went out. Hamilton showed today that he is a team player. Vettel in an off colour car that was clearly holding team mate up still had that team number 1 tucked up his sleeve.

You try and spin it all you want but true colours were shown today.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 30 Jul 2017, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

George-Jung wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 20:45
LionKing wrote:
Redragon wrote:

But seriously, could someone explain to me why Max got such a harsh penalty- whereas Bottas never got any in previous/similar events??
I assume because one was deemed a racing incident where both drivers suffered, and another one (this race), where the one causing it also benefitted from it.

Even Horner said post race; its likely Max wouldnt have made the corner had Dan not been there.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

George-Jung wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 20:45
LionKing wrote:
Redragon wrote:

I guess because he ended someone's race. I'm ambivalent about how they weight penalties. It seems strange that the same action has a different penalty but they also look at the end result. Max finished Ric's race and so maybe he gets a punishment because of the loss he caused.

On the bottas/Hamilton thing, Hamilton didn't lose 3 points today. He bought a hell of a lot of loyalty from his team mate. He would never have passed bottas. In future races bottas is now even more likely to let Hamilton through and it might be on a track where he can overtake the car ahead. He was in fourth. He got fourth, with a hell of a lot of kudos from his team mate thrown in.