2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

ferkan wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 17:19
LH44 fans "Why didnt Ferrari, instead of winning and taking 1-2 like they did, take 1-5 and let Kimi, who is currently 5th on WDC list and only has matematical chance of winning, win the race?
Jesus...

Why do people keep saying 4th or 5th for Seb. BOTTAS AND MAX NEVER CAUGHT him. Even without rear gunner kimi , it was only Lewis who would have had ago JEEEEEEZ!

All people are getting at is, Ferrari risked a 1-2 or 1-3 by doing what they did. If Lewis passed Kimi through a Kimi mistake and then managed to pasa Vettel as easy as you people think, it would have been a 2-3 for Ferrari and Lewis would be leading the championship. Fortunately for Ferrari the risk paid off. They Gambled and it worked this time. Any other track (other than monaco) it probably would have backfired.

They took a risky 1-2 instead of (at worse) an easy 1-3 but probably still a 1-2 with Kimi 1st. Their choice meant a 2-3 was possible. If they swapped them around a win was guaranteed (reliability being good)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ferkan

They gambled nothing. Kimi proved, by being 5th in WDC standings (behind RB) and 100pts behind Vettel, that if he isnt ahead there is no need to meddle into strategies and team orders to make him win given that he has absolutely no chance for wining the big prize.

If Kimi wanted to pass he should have tried, although its nearly impossible to if one doesnt have 1s + advantage and goes very risky into overtaking (basically risking crash with teammate). All in all right call from Ferrari no doubt.

And what if this "risky 1-2" resulted in Hamilton passing Kimi and ending behind Vettel? That would be "safe" 1-3 as well, only with Vettel being ahead of Hamilton.

I doubt they care about WCC since Kimi is nowhere this season.

George-Jung

Did anyone consider that Kimi chatted so much over the radio to show the team he still got the speed for a contract renewal and also still is a teamplayer?

ChrisDanger

NathanOlder wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 17:26
Chene_Mostert wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 15:03
The question is Why are they willing to gift Lewis a second spot but nor a 3rd spot, if points are not that important why switch them in the first place?
Why not tell Botas to have a go at Kimmi, Seb was so slow and holding up Kimmi?
What made the team Think Lewis can have a better go at kimmi? I mean you expect the slowest to be let by by the slower to have a go at the slow?
They weren't giving lewis anything. They saw that they had a chance to get a mercedes to 2nd or even 1st. Bottas didnt have the pace to catch kimi. If he did have the pace he would have caught him. Are you too young to understand what happened (genuine question) ?
Chene_Mostert obviously isn't familiar with the quite regular practice of allowing team-mates to swap places, and reswapping if no further overtaking takes place. It's so commonplace that for any fan of F1 ignorance of this is quite remarkable.

NathanOlder

Very well put mate.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Chene_Mostert

ChrisDanger wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 18:17
NathanOlder wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 17:26
Chene_Mostert wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 15:03
The question is Why are they willing to gift Lewis a second spot but nor a 3rd spot, if points are not that important why switch them in the first place?
Why not tell Botas to have a go at Kimmi, Seb was so slow and holding up Kimmi?
What made the team Think Lewis can have a better go at kimmi? I mean you expect the slowest to be let by by the slower to have a go at the slow?
They weren't giving lewis anything. They saw that they had a chance to get a mercedes to 2nd or even 1st. Bottas didnt have the pace to catch kimi. If he did have the pace he would have caught him. Are you too young to understand what happened (genuine question) ?
Chene_Mostert obviously isn't familiar with the quite regular practice of allowing team-mates to swap places, and reswapping if no further overtaking takes place. It's so commonplace that for any fan of F1 ignorance of this is quite remarkable.
So, then as long as you are all OK with red teams swopping drivers I'll sa lets do it! :D
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

ChrisDanger

Chene_Mostert wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 18:39
So, then as long as you are all OK with red teams swopping drivers I'll sa lets do it! :D
No, let me explain.

Say, for example, Sainz is stuck behind, I don't know, Stroll, for whatever reason. Kvyat is behind but closing fast, perhaps on fresher tyres. As much as Sainz is trying he can't find a way past. So Kvyat, now joining the train says "Carlos is holding me up. Let me pass. I will take Stroll easily." So the team say to Sainz "Okay Carlos, let Dani past. If he can't get by Stroll he will let you retake the position." Now, if Kvyat gets by Stroll he rides off into the sunset, and the team maximise their result. More often than not, the attack is unsuccessful and the running order is restored.

The fact that you've completely missed every instance of this happening is astounding, and what I alluded to in my earlier post. Because that situation happens regularly, in many teams. And it's not about team orders, in terms of favouring a specific driver. It's about a team trying to maximise their overall result.

Just_a_fan

There's some very obvious trolling going on here and people are feeding it. Stop it!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Chene_Mostert

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 19:51
There's some very obvious trolling going on here and people are feeding it. Stop it!
Totally Agree, Trolling and blatant hypocricy seems to at the order of the day this season :(
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Treble

ChrisDanger wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 19:24
Chene_Mostert wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 18:39
No, let me explain.

Say, for example, Sainz is stuck behind, I don't know, Stroll, for whatever reason. Kvyat is behind but closing fast, perhaps on fresher tyres. As much as Sainz is trying he can't find a way past. So Kvyat, now joining the train says "Carlos is holding me up. Let me pass. I will take Stroll easily." So the team say to Sainz "Okay Carlos, let Dani past. If he can't get by Stroll he will let you retake the position." Now, if Kvyat gets by Stroll he rides off into the sunset, and the team maximise their result. More often than not, the attack is unsuccessful and the running order is restored.

The fact that you've completely missed every instance of this happening is astounding, and what I alluded to in my earlier post. Because that situation happens regularly, in many teams. And it's not about team orders, in terms of favouring a specific driver. It's about a team trying to maximise their overall result.
If it happens always in many teams and it is all so normal, why Ham was frustrated at end of the race? Why Toto was so angry against Lauda and the Mercedes paddock looked like a funeral ceremony?

bonjon1979

What if Lewis has a whole load of mechanicals and bottas wins the championship by 2 points?

NathanOlder

Be like 2016 then wouldn't it
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Chene_Mostert wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 20:28
Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 19:51
Totally Agree, Trolling and blatant hypocricy seems to at the order of the day this season :(

This guy. Gotta love his spirit Bravo Bravo
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Santozini

GPR-A wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 12:59
Santozini wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 12:57
Have some sour grapes during the summer break, it will do you some good.
Experienced man you are, I guess ! I will trust your experience.
Did you just assume my gender? :o Just kidding, we all love the same sport, and it's good to share our views, as long as it is with respect.

Mods, feel free to delete this post, way off-topic

PlatinumZealot

Zynerji wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 00:48
Who cares? The team pays the driver salary, and they do as they are told.

People's belief add to what "should be done" had zero effect.

There are waaay too many entitled people on this thread fishing for any excuse for Vettel to be ahead of Hamilton.

Don't forget, Sebastian NOT applying pressure to Rosberg in Adu Dhabi last year in the closing laps guaranteed Hamilton defeat.

I just think there are still a ton of people that hate him for that, and the drivel on this forum is proof.

Just be happy more than 1 team has a legitimate shot at winning every race instead of boring dominance.
Huh what? I am Hamilton follower and I don't even remember that. Shows how significant that was. :?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏