HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChrisDanger

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Peter Windsor chats to Craig Scarborough about the HALO. A refreshingly rational discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLs8eyeQNo

mycadcae

HALO or AeroSCREEN?
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

Manoah2u

none of both. but a non-reflective aeroscreen surely would be much better when executed right. i think we'll get to the aeroscreen either way when they've perfected prototypes for that.
they can even use halo technology to combine it.

biggest problem for the aeroscreen is the distorted view. halo has 'only' a blocked view due to the center pillar. the aeroscreen distorts the view, which is much more problematic.
if they can sort out that problem, then expect the aeroscreen to take over.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ChrisDanger

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 13:47
halo has 'only' a blocked view due to the center pillar. the aeroscreen distorts the view, which is much more problematic.
if they can sort out that problem, then expect the aeroscreen to take over.
Replace the Halo with an aeroscreen and we may be back to square one, if LMP1 is anything to go by.

Manoah2u

why isn't the windshield wiper laid down btw, always wondered that in these classes?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 12:09
why isn't the windshield wiper laid down btw, always wondered that in these classes?
airflow. A horizontal wiper would act as a big disturbance (over the full length of the wiper), like this its only as wide as the wiper.

Manoah2u

ah yes, that makes a lot of sense actually.

so if it's not an issue for LMP1 drivers, why should it be an issue for F1 drivers? even though their 'office' is a good amount tighter.

ChrisDanger

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 13:57
so if it's not an issue for LMP1 drivers, why should it be an issue for F1 drivers?
That was exactly my point.

Manoah2u

so how about Formula E ? are they going to get a halo too?

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 14:35
Watched the video? all open wheel series are getting the halo, as soon as they introduce new chassis.

cplchanb

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 12:09
Probably for aero reasons
I would think there will be less fluttering when the wiper is straight up

Edit: already beaten to it

FrukostScones

doesn't look too bad anymore:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 14408.html

and with funny aerofairings (the teams will be allowed to add in 20mm zone somewhere on the outside) , those things might get intersting to watch.

still its introduction will kill a bit of F1 for me :|
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Moose

The FIA explain the reasoning behind choosing the Halo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYkGjUHstKY

I think it's pretty hard to argue against it when their analysis says it helps in almost every accident they analysed including roll overs.

Manoah2u

Jolle wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 14:37
Manoah2u wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 14:35
Watched the video? all open wheel series are getting the halo, as soon as they introduce new chassis.
but is Formula E still concidered open wheel series in 2018? the concepts ive seen have wheel fairings around it.
i've seen the 2018 concepts with a closed cockpit or some half-aeroscreen thing. hence the question.

some visual reference:

also

this design shows a closed jet-fighter style canopy - which, it has to be said, looks amazing - and an alternative aeroscreen that's half-open.

Formula E in particular is very sensitive for aero devices, due to the still relative 'young' phase the electric sportscar 'world'is in. Comparing this to the halo, the halo clearly is a very aero ineffective lump.

So i have to repeat my question. If this was the proposal for 2018's Formula E cars, then what are we actually going to get ?

The above, like proposed, or the halo?

Mind you, Formula E will no longer be an open-wheel formula class as of 2018. They're actually not really full open wheeler anymore anyway.

Which then, to me, raises the next question ;

IF the Formula E cars will get this canopy / or the half-open aeroscreen - then in godsname WHY is F1 and other formula's getting another treatment? If it works for Formula E, why can't it work for Formula 1, and if it can't work for Formula 1, why CAN it work for formula E ?

ringo

I like the halo from day 1.
The thing with a screen is that it can cause motion sickness, glare, obstruction for the drivers. Also it can possibly be smeared or distorted on track and a driver would have to retire because the screen cannot be replaced during the race.

The Halo doesnt have those issues, and it still gives us a good view of the driver and his hands in the car. I think it's the best solution.
It's not cool and power ranger/voltron looking like the screen, but for all intents and purposes it's the best solution.

And we will soon get used to it. This is similar to seatbelts, side impact structures, head rest cushions, high side panels, and other safety gear introduced over the sports history that acted to reduce how much of the driver we can see, and took away the intimate connection with the sport. But this head protection thing is necessary so we have to just live with it.
For Sure!!