2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

Circuit and Event Information

FIA Event and Timing Information

Tyre Allocations

2016 Qualifying Results (link to wiki)

2016 Race Results (link to wiki)

2016 Pole Lap:

Championship Tables

World Driver's Championship Table

World Driver's Championship, Positions

World Driver's Championship, Points

World Constructor's Championship Table

World Constructor's Championship, Positions

World Constructor's Championship, Points

f1316

Re: 2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

This was one where, at the beginning of the year, we were told it's possible this year's cars won't even be faster here (I believe Max said it) due to greater drag > lower top speed. I don't buy that that'll be the case - they'll trim the wings sufficiently if needs be - and the PU's have also been developed significantly since this time last year.

But equally, I doubt they'll be going 3 or 4 secs faster - more like 2, I'm guessing (and, as with everything this year, it is a bit of a guess).

For the race, it depends largely on what Ferrari bring in terms of PU and the extent to which the oil burning regulation has an effect on any or all teams. Given the straight line speed advantage Mercedes still had in Spa, it will have to be a big upgrade to bring them on terms, but, despite the amount of straight in Monza, I don't think there's a full throttle section as long as Euea Rouge/Radillion etc. at the end of which Ferrari seemed to be derating, which was a large part of their S1 deficit.

Given the chicanes in Monza - and impossibity of being completely flat through Parabolica- cars will still have to brake and hence recharge, so the derating should, bizarrely, be less of an issue.

I think we could still have a race on our hands, even if we accept that Mercedes are favourites.

F1NAC

Perez only 11 points behind Max. Who would have thought that?

outsid3r

f1316 wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 10:54
I think we could still have a race on our hands, even if we accept that Mercedes are favourites.
Early forecast shows rain on both Friday and Saturday, so we might see some shuffles in the Quali order. If any of the top teams end up at the back of the grid, we should indeed have a nice race on our hands.

f1316

outsid3r wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 16:32
f1316 wrote:
Early forecast shows rain on both Friday and Saturday, so we might see some shuffles in the Quali order. If any of the top teams end up at the back of the grid, we should indeed have a nice race on our hands.
Oh well if that's the case it changes everything. We don't know which car is best in the rain this year but I suspect it's the Ferrari with the red bulls getting much closer to the ultimate pace, but then Monza's kind of a different thing.

Last wet Monza was 2008 - so Sainz for the win ? :)

Phillyred

We thinking new track record this weekend??

Phil

outsid3r wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 16:32
f1316 wrote:
Unfortunately that isnt a "race" according to my definition. I want to see the best 2-3 team battling each other, not one of the title contenders at the back of the grid severly handicapped and not "racing" with his true rivals...

It would make an entertaining race though...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

A win by Hamilton here will mean that he'd be leading the WDC for the first time in the season. I'm sure Ferrari will do everything they can to keep that from being the case. Hopefully it will be good race, but with the max trimmed out cars, following might be supremely difficult, Variante here is always fun.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

F1NAC

So ferraris new engine with restrictions (if they introduce new one) vs merc unrestricted. Tough for Ferrari will be this one

Jolle

TAG wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 03:09
A win by Hamilton here will mean that he'd be leading the WDC for the first time in the season. I'm sure Ferrari will do everything they can to keep that from being the case. Hopefully it will be good race, but with the max trimmed out cars, following might be supremely difficult, Variante here is always fun.
I think it's the other way round, because on Monza, most of the downforce (percentage wise) comes from the floor and wings and bits are less important, following another car gives less problems then at Silverstone for instance. Combined with the greater drag because of the wider cars, slipstreaming gives a bigger advantage.

I can see a few "do or die" locked up wheels overtakings in the chicanes all across the field coming :D

notsofast

What was the point of bringing medium tyres to this track? Clearly no team wants them.

George-Jung

F1NAC wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 10:15
So ferraris new engine with restrictions (if they introduce new one) vs merc unrestricted. Tough for Ferrari will be this one
HoWTF can this happen? un-F'ing-believable!!!!

ClarkBT11

You only need two cars for a race. Is a race and an entertaining race a different definition or just contradicting yourself Phil. I think you mean my preference rather than definition/ideal world.

I'm happy that we get to see some sort of battle at the front instead of the race decided at the first corner and a silver car leading by 30 seconds but that's my preference.

TAG

ClarkBT11 wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 14:18
You only need two cars for a race. Is a race and an entertaining race a different definition or just contradicting yourself Phil. I think you mean my preference rather than definition/ideal world.

I'm happy that we get to see some sort of battle at the front instead of the race decided at the first corner and a silver car leading by 30 seconds but that's my preference.
It's a slippery slope because when there were two silver cars, some weren't calling that a race either even though it still perfectly fit the definition. In the end a chance to compete in earnest is what makes a race exciting. I think what Phil is implying is that having to come from behind due to adversity isn't racing, it's mitigating a disadvantage and we've seen lots of that. Not fun.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

George-Jung wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 13:45
F1NAC wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 10:15
HoWTF can this happen? un-F'ing-believable!!!!
Don't get so excited, we don't even know what's what. In the end Ferrari would have done the same if they felt it was an advantage, one would think.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत