2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac

Re: 2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

Ted Kravitz has just said that Mercedes have decided to voluntarily decided to stick to the new 0.9l even though they can go to 1.2l as they are on engines pre Monza. They also ran to 0.9l in Spa when Ferrari were at 1.2l.

That cannot be right surely as that means they gave up an advantage and were STILL faster than Ferrari. At least I hope for Ferrari's sake it's not true.

Restomaniac

Chene_Mostert wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:16
Restomaniac wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:13
Chene_Mostert wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:06

Yes, I think you are. . Or maybe you and some of the other from the 2014 brigade.
I've been watching F1 for far, far longer than since 2014. Sorry.
Apology accepted.
The only aplology I offered you was for correcting your obvious incorrect assumption. Just for clarification.

Glad you felt the need to thank me for pointing out your cock up O:)

Chene_Mostert

Restomaniac wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:18
Ted Kravitz has just said that Mercedes have decided to voluntarily decided to stick to the new 0.9l even though they can go to 1.2l as they are on engines pre Monza. They also ran to 0.9l in Spa when Ferrari were at 1.2l.

That cannot be right surely as that means they gave up an advantage and were STILL faster than Ferrari. At least I hope for Ferrari's sake it's not true.
Can we trust anything from ted or Toto?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Restomaniac

Chene_Mostert wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:24
Restomaniac wrote:

Now that's the question. I got the impression that Paul Di Resta wasn't convinced.

Phil

Restomaniac wrote:

AMuS reported this all along. Didn't quite believe it myself, but seems to be true. I somehow expect Mercedes to be dominant in Monza. There are a couple of reasons that worked against them in Spa I feel.

1.) They traded-off lap time for straight line speed. According to Toto, this cost them 2 tenths in lap time.
2.) IMO Mercedes was limited by tire performance. The car optimally worked on the softs - the US was probably too sensitive for their car over the entire long lap and loads even though Pirelli mandated quite high pressures which usually suit Mercedes
3.) I don't think Ferrari could have driven much faster in clean air than what Hamilton set. Mercedes were a bit in a pickle - they needed to pit first to avoid the undercut which made them more vulnerable for a 1-stop on the softs. So they needed the right pace to make it to the end, but quick enough not to let Vettel into DRS.

I think Monza will suit them better, given it's SS, S and M territory.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

outsid3r

Restomaniac wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:28
Chene_Mostert wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Now that's the question. I got the impression that Paul Di Resta wasn't convinced.
Someone should ask Merc for one good reason why they prematurely introduced a new engine then :)

Restomaniac

outsid3r wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:36
Restomaniac wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:

Someone should ask Merc for one good reason why they prematurely introduced a new engine then :)
Indeed.

Phil

Maybe to give them the option that they can use more oil if they deem it necessary...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

atanatizante

Is it me or Merc drivers tested between a 4 and 5 elements FW?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

NathanOlder

outsid3r wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:36
Restomaniac wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:

Is it not as simple as them wanting a fresh engine for Spa ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 11:18
I think because only 4 engines are allowed to be used this year, it would make more sense to wait and introduce the engine later as Ferrari is doing. Still, it's weird that Mercedes jumped the gun if not to make use of the 1.2 oil directive. Then again, to say they will only use the new directive makes sense - anything else would cause a bit of a controversy and criticism, especially if they go on and dominate on certain tracks. They might try to use 0.9, but have some special modes available if they deem it necessary.

On the other hand, Ferrari may find a bigger gain by waiting a little longer and have more time for their final update...
#Team44 supporter

Restomaniac

Phil wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 11:29
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 11:18
I think because only 4 engines are allowed to be used this year, it would make more sense to wait and introduce the engine later as Ferrari is doing. Still, it's weird that Mercedes jumped the gun if not to make use of the 1.2 oil directive. Then again, to say they will only use the new directive makes sense - anything else would cause a bit of a controversy and criticism, especially if they go on and dominate on certain tracks. They might try to use 0.9, but have some special modes available if they deem it necessary.

On the other hand, Ferrari may find a bigger gain by waiting a little longer and have more time for their final update...
Its swings and roundabout though. Aren't Ferrari now having to used all their turbochargers on rotation now where are Mercedes have newly unboxed ones to come (I know a new TC isn't on the same level as a new ICE)?

It would seem teams are going to be balancing like mad for the rest of the season.

Phil

Yeah... I am actually very interested to see how Ferrari will deal with it. Surely they will have to take a penalty at some point, unless they deem the old units still usable? ...
#Team44 supporter

Schuttelberg

The Halo's make the helmet design non existent for the viewers.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"