2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Circuit and Event Information

FIA Event and Timing Information

* - Ricciardo set the fastest lap in both 2015 and 2016, for all you betting folk that need to recuperate your losses after last weekend. :wink:

Tyre Allocations

2016 Qualifying Results (link to wiki)

2016 Race Results (link to wiki)

2016 Pole Lap:

Championship Tables

World Driver's Championship Table

World Driver's Championship, Positions

World Driver's Championship, Points

World Constructor's Championship Table

World Constructor's Championship, Positions

World Constructor's Championship, Points
Last edited by ChrisDanger on 05 Sep 2017, 11:45, edited 2 times in total.

Vasconia

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

The wallls make always this GP a quite eventful one. As it has been said the characteristics of the circuit and the use of ultrasoft tyres should benefit Ferrari.

I am curious to see how close RB can be this time. Las year they were pretty strong and their new package should help them.

My bet:

Pole:
1. Vettel
2. Ricciardo
3. Hamilton
4. Verstappen
5. Raikkonen
6. Sainz
7. Ocon
8. Kyviat
9. Perez
10. Alonso

Race:

1. Vettel
2. Ricciardo
3. Verstappen
4. Hamilton
5. Sainz
6. Alonso
7. Ocon
8. Hulkenberg
9. Kvyat
10. Grosjean

Raikkonen and Bottas colllide.

garyjpaterson

Vasconia wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 11:44
Pole:
1. Vettel
2. Ricciardo
3. Hamilton
4. Verstappen
5. Raikkonen
6. Sainz
7. Ocon
8. Kyviat
9. Perez
10. Alonso
Where are you predicting Bottas will qualify, outside the top 10?

Personally, I get the feeling that if Merc have struggles here like in Monaco, that Valtteri may manage to squeeze more out of the car than Lewis.
When the car works, I think Lewis is difficult to beat, but when things aren't comfortable, this year he seems to struggle a little bit more.

I reckon Merc won't stand a chance here, so to keep the championship close I really hope RB can get ahead of the Ferrari's, which I think they may well be able to do.

Prediction?

Quali:

Vettel
Verstappen
Ricciardo
Raikkonen
Bottas
Hamilton

Race:

Verstappen (Epic start, maybe brushes tyres with Seb)
Vettel (Has the pace and is on Max's gearbox all the way)
Ricciardo (Not far behind)
Bottas (Clears Raikkonen due to a poor Ferrari pitstop)
Raikkonen (Has to defend heavily on the second half against Lewis)
Hamilton (Catches Raikkonen but not enough to pass)

Hope I'm wrong though, I want to see Lewis up there fighting with Seb, but I can't see it happening at Singapore.

Juzh

One thing is clear. If ferrari don't dominate as they did in monaco and hungary, then the season is all but over, as it will mean merc has sorted out their slow speed problems and will simply run away with it from here on out.
Most troublesome is how both hamilton and bottas praised the car after the race in the cooldown room, claiming it was on rails. I don't think a car like that can suddenly become a handful in two weeks, despite circuit characteristics.

ChrisDanger

Vasconia wrote:
Pole:
1. Vettel
2. Ricciardo
3. Hamilton
4. Verstappen
5. Raikkonen
6. Sainz
7. Ocon
8. Kyviat
9. Perez
10. Alonso
Bottas out in Q2? Bold prediction.

As an unimportant aside, you misspelled Kvyat like most people mispronounce it. See: https://audioboom.com/posts/1677393-daniil-kvyat

Phil

I personally think Mercedes will be more competitive at Singapore than they were in Monaco. Monaco is very very bumpy - much more than Singapore, I believe. Also, Monaco was relatively early in the season. The very narrow set-up window meant that Mercedes failed to get all tires into the correct working range equally. This may be less of a problem now that they understand the car better. Things looked rather good in Baku, but of course they had the luxury of longer straights there.

Another factor; it's going to be the US again, so much will depend on how Mercedes can get them working (they seem to be typically stronger on tracks where the SS in the option tire) or if their car overheats them.

Overall, I predict a very close fight between RedBull, Ferrari and Mercedes. RedBull looks to be usually very strong around here, Ferrari probably too. Too hard to tell I guess who will shine in QF.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A duplicate2

Slow turn performance is more about Mechanical grip and that is where Mercedes seems to be struggling. Traction out of the slower corner depends so much on how the car grips when throttle is put. It's not like faster corners where the downforce takes them through flying. If the mechanical grip is poor, then there is danger of wheel spin when throttle is applied and when driver is aware of resulting wheel spin, they have to wait to put the throttle and the more they wait, the more the tyres lose temperature. The softer the compound, the faster it loses out on temperature (as much as it gets the heat faster). There are chain of things happening that is making the Mercedes performance relatively worse to Ferrari.

There are 13 points on this circuit that would make the Mercedes nervous and Ferrari happy. There were only 4 or 5 points in Hungaroring. So, you can imagine the level of challenge.

What remains to be seen, is if the lessons were learnt through In-Season testing that was conducted in Hungary after the race. They did not introduce any new part to the car and just ran the way it was in the race. So, I am of the opinion that, they were probably trying a lot of internal elements related to mechanical grip (suspension, springs, dampers and all). If they have got a breakthrough, their perofrmance would be far better here and they would run very close with Ferrari, if not, they will have to focus on Malaysia!

The fact that, they are going in to Singapore GP with a complete acceptance (based on Toto and Niki's statements) of the fact that, they are the underdogs and they may not have a great outing, should help them focus on taking risks and Hamilton specifically, should be trying more than what he did in Monaco.

TAG

The biggest factor here is going to be PU components beginning to fail forcing grid penalties. It's getting down to that time of the year.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NathanOlder

GPR-A wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 13:19

There are 13 points on this circuit that would make the Mercedes nervous and Ferrari happy. There were only 4 or 5 points in Hungaroring. So, you can imagine the level of challenge.

Just out of interest, how many of these points are there in Montreal ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A duplicate2

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 14:59
GPR-A wrote:

Just out of interest, how many of these points are there in Montreal ?
It's 2. The hair pin and the turn 2 (you can hear the wheel spin in turn 2 on his pole lap and a small spin on hair pin). Chicanes were not a big deal, especially in the hands of Hamilton as he carries more speed compared to other drivers on the grid.

Vasconia

ChrisDanger wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 12:20
Vasconia wrote:
Pole:
1. Vettel
2. Ricciardo
3. Hamilton
4. Verstappen
5. Raikkonen
6. Sainz
7. Ocon
8. Kyviat
9. Perez
10. Alonso
Bottas out in Q2? Bold prediction.

As an unimportant aside, you misspelled Kvyat like most people mispronounce it. See: https://audioboom.com/posts/1677393-daniil-kvyat
Just to give some spice to the race mate. I could have put Hamilton out of the Q3 but I did not want to be lapidated. :mrgreen:

Sorry for that, its so easy to mispronounce it!

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:

The fact that, they are going in to Singapore GP with a complete acceptance (based on Toto and Niki's statements) of the fact that, they are the underdogs and they may not have a great outing, should help them focus on taking risks and Hamilton specifically, should be trying more than what he did in Monaco.
I would never believe a word coming from them. But yes, Mercedes should be behind tough I am pretty sure that they tried new components during the test in Hungary. Things should be slightly better for Mercedes if the components worked.

Shrieker

Valtteri was less then five hundredths away from the Ferrari's in Monaco. It was the other Merc. driver that failed, not the car really. Ferrari will definitely be more competitive here than in Monza, but I would not rule out a Hamilton pole either.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Edax

TAG wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 23:11
Edax wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 21:17
The cars are primadonna's, and have been for several years. They either get them working and are unbeatable or ( on rare occasions) they slide all over the place and eat up tyres. And where that happens is unpredictable. Singapore is maybe the most memorable case. But the same happened also in Austria, monaco and china. Both high and low downforce tracks. If anything the only connection I could think of be between bad performances is the higher than predicted temperatures in the weekend.
Bottas won the race in Austria, and Hamilton started 8th on the grid. It's a notoriously difficult circuit to overtake on.

The only thing we know is that historically they've done poorly here in Singapore, they'll either have made progress in addressing their issues in these tight street circuits or they haven't. In any case, this is the only circuit that goes against their build, the rest are either very even with Ferrari or favor the Mercedes.
2014 and 2016 they had the pole and win. In 2015 they were absolutely nowere. I wouldn't call it poorly rather erratic.

I can't imagine that is a built thing. Rather I would think that it is setup related.

I think we can bet that the renault powered cars are strong in singapore. The engine is lacking umpf at high speed but it is extremely driveable on traction. If I'm correct they also have a bit more weight on the rear wheels which helps them coming out of slow corners.

oT v1

Praying that RedBull can get up to the top, just for Ricciardo's sake.

Also if Merc have a low chance of overcoming RB.....do Ferrari take an engine hit and chase back up to the back of the weak Mercs who 'should' be limited to 3/4th??
The Power of Dreams