Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Redragon

Re: Honda Power Unit

ZakB wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:06
Redragon wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 10:44
ZakB wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 09:40

Yeah, the current STR is such a great car. :D The Renault PU isn't that poor and it's miles ahead of the Honda. You call yourself an Alonso supporter, but will laugh deeply when he get's overtaking by a Honda, great supporter. Stop hating McLaren for the failing Honda.
Renault and Redbull haven't matched Ferrari and Mercedes last 4 years, mainly because Renault engine. So how come Renault is gonna be the solution to Mclaren actual problems?
Well at least they performed at the top and Red Bull was in 2016 faster than the Ferrari, sounds a whole lot better than fighting with Haas and Sauber. Red Bull also admitted that they haven't had the greatest winter, so stop acting like they are god. According to you Renault isn't a solution, but you do expect a company that has been failing for three years to beat Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault in the coming years. :lol:
No I am more realisitic, this project had a plan of 10 years to become Worldchampions. It could have been on the first 3 years or at the end of the period eg 7th year. Changing to Renault is not gonna improve the situation on long term as they will loose exclusivity on engine and become a costumer team and the money from Honda. When Horner and Redbull are shaking their hands and welcome the swap I would rethink my choices as Mclaren team.

Redragon

dren wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 13:40
Redragon wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 11:01
If I was Honda and the contract with Mclaren was broken by this weekend.
I would bring the spec 4 fully, get the sanctions so the team doesn't have much possibility of points (a middle finger to Mclaren as it is Honda who is paying) and if not any problems get as close of the podium to show the real potential of the engine.
Honda doesn't have anything to prove at this point. They just need to improve their unit and continue with development so they have a solid start to 2018.
Yes but bringning the spec 4 earlier as possible will give them the time to resolve the issues that they might face by 2018. At the moment they are just trying the best moments of the year to introduce updates so they don't loose opportunities to get points for the team Mclaren-Honda but if contract finish this weekend they are not force to serve Mclaren anymore. So they can sacrifice the points and accelarate the development.

dren

Redragon wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 14:44
dren wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 13:40
Redragon wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 11:01
If I was Honda and the contract with Mclaren was broken by this weekend.
I would bring the spec 4 fully, get the sanctions so the team doesn't have much possibility of points (a middle finger to Mclaren as it is Honda who is paying) and if not any problems get as close of the podium to show the real potential of the engine.
Honda doesn't have anything to prove at this point. They just need to improve their unit and continue with development so they have a solid start to 2018.
Yes but bringning the spec 4 earlier as possible will give them the time to resolve the issues that they might face by 2018. At the moment they are just trying the best moments of the year to introduce updates so they don't loose opportunities to get points for the team Mclaren-Honda but if contract finish this weekend they are not force to serve Mclaren anymore. So they can sacrifice the points and accelarate the development.
I'd expect Honda to bring the updates as they are proven and race ready. Rushing creates more on track issues.
Honda!

f1316

dren wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 13:33
Singabule wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:24
carisi2k wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:04
Why would Torro Rosso want a mclaren gearbox when Red Bull could build one for them and get some experience with the Honda engine in doing so.
They cant design and produce it overnight. Maybe 2nd half of 2018
Yes. The Mclaren box already exists; it's a 'simple' purchase.
Yes, and the converse is also true - McLaren will be using an RB gearbox, at least initially.

Once both teams are fully up and running, they'll swap that around.

etusch

Why RB and not Renault gb ?

Andres125sx

ZakB wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 08:45
I´m mainly an Alonso supporter, even when I also like the enginering, but now I´ll root for Honda. IMHO McLaren did split in the worst possible timeframe, exactly when Honda has bottomed and now they will only improve and improve and improve.

If/when STR beat McLaren next season in some GP, I´ll laugh deeply. STR make awesome cars, once Honda start working Mclaren will have a problem with that poor PU, because like it or not, Renault is a poor PU right now.
Yeah, the current STR is such a great car. :D
Yes, STR is a great car if you take into account their budget.
ZakB wrote:
Stop hating McLaren for the failing Honda.
Look who´s talking :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andres125sx

carisi2k wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:02
Andres125sx wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 08:45
I´m mainly an Alonso supporter, even when I also like the enginering, but now I´ll root for Honda. IMHO McLaren did split in the worst possible timeframe, exactly when Honda has bottomed and now they will only improve and improve and improve.

If/when STR beat McLaren next season in some GP, I´ll laugh deeply. STR make awesome cars, once Honda start working Mclaren will have a problem with that poor PU, because like it or not, Renault is a poor PU right now.
The Renault may not be the most reliable power unit but it made a mockery of the honda unit in the mclaren at monza.
And both Ferrari and Mercedes made a mockery of the Renault PU, when all of them enjoy the same expertise. At least Honda has an excuse. What´s Renault excuse?

carisi2k wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:02
Did you see how easily Palmer was able to come up to and essentially go past Alonso until Alonso decided to make things difficult for palmer.
Yes, Alonso made his job and made things difficult for their rivals, what an evil he is, isn´t he?

Obviously it was far from easy for Palmer, as he had to cut the chicane and receive a penalty to be able to pass that useless Honda. I guess you missed that part :roll:

harjan

Guys. McLaren have all the data and decide to drop Honda for Renault- we can safely assume McLaren is more than capable to compare two engines.. So no need for people in here to downplay Renaults advantage. If you think McLaren is walking away from 100M and a works deal because of a few bhp difference, then you're plain wrong. The difference is huge and McLaren no longer thinks Honda can close it within the foreseeable future.

And about Red Bull being over the moon; well it's not like they're signing Honda directly, are they? An alternative route has opened if indeed Honda start making the progress they've been promising over the last three years. And Honda fails to deliver, nothing is lost.

HPD

harjan wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 19:10
And about Red Bull being over the moon; well it's not like they're signing Honda directly, are they? An alternative route has opened if indeed Honda start making the progress they've been promising over the last three years. And Honda fails to deliver, nothing is lost.
You are wrong. Red Bull is losing a very good driver who is Sainz, for a deal with Honda. Why?
You'll know it in 2019

RedNEO

HPD wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 19:25
harjan wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 19:10
You are wrong. Red Bull is losing a very good driver who is Sainz, for a deal with Honda. Why?
You'll know it in 2019
Lol, I thought we would know it after spec 3, then for spec 4? Now it's 2019. :lol:

harjan

Haha as if any racing driver is more than pocket change in these kind of deals. Sainz is a deal sweetener, nothing more.

ArcticWolfie

harjan wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 19:43
Haha as if any racing driver is more than pocket change in these kind of deals. Sainz is a deal sweetener, nothing more.
But Gasly still has to prove himself... now it looks like Renault is the only winner in this deal :P

harjan

Renault got McLaren (presume they pay a lot more than Torro Rosso), indirectly most likely Fernando and they got Sainz. Renault is absolutely the big winner.

63l8qrrfy6

Renault would have given engines away for free just to get rid of Palmer.

loner

HPD wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 19:25
You'll know it in 2019
iam actually putting a possibility for Redbull-Honda in 2018 if the spec 4 will battle them in the last few races. :mrgreen:
para bellum.