2017 Malaysia Grand Prix - Sepang, 29 September-01 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2017 Malaysia Grand Prix - Sepang, 29 September-01 October

Phil wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:19
SectorOne wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:08
Phil wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:05
I think the worrying aspect is how quick that Ferrari is and how bad the Mercedes is when it fails to hit its operating window....
I think if it continues in Japan Mercedes should start to worry. If Mercedes works the tires better in Japan (also with harder compounds? and cooler conditions) then i don´t think Mercedes has anything to worry about.
True. Though after 95% in this forum were declaring this an easy Mercedes track, i am somewhat careful about the predictions some are inclined to make about the upcoming tracks.

The trend is quite clear to me at least: Mercedes brilliant when they get it right - when they dont, they struggle big time. Contrary, Ferrari have shown to be strong on all tracks so far. RedBull on the other hand has become very quick too. This will make the rest of the season very interesting if you ask me. 34 points lead put Hamilton at a favorite, but things could shift quickly if both Vettel and RedBull continue with strong performances and can put themselves ahead of Mercedes.
I think it's just one of these track, a little bit like Singapore, hot, difficult for the tires, it was a remake of the 2015 race. In Japan it should be a way fresher which will suit more to the Merc. Mexico is clearly a track for Mercedes. USA could be more difficult but Lewis is really good out there. Brazil I tend to think it will be close and the track position will be really important and Abu Dhabi Mercedes can win with ease there (fresher condition throughout the race).
Overall, Lewis can snatch every pole on these tracks, and even if he's not so good on race pace he can finish it off easily.

f1316
f1316

No safety car, no rain, no particular attrition - Ferrari just can't catch a break; can't help but think of Spa last year, when Hamilton starting from the back, or Abu Dhabi 2012 when Vettel did it, and there were always nice safety cars. If we had got one today - pretty much at any point after Vettel got past Alonso - I think Seb might have won.

And Alonso... I just knew he'd get in Vettel's way, always does; he seems to have a deep resentment for him taking his seat and doing well and always makes it especially hard for him vs others.

All that said, if the Ferrari remains the fastest car everywhere we go - and turbo issue now out the way - 5 wins still guarantees Seb the title; so definitely not over and I suspect Mercedes are doing everything to look after their engine, but if we'd had a 'normal' couple of races, it would look very different.

SectorOne

Phil wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:19
True. Though after 95% in this forum were declaring this an easy Mercedes track, i am somewhat careful about the predictions some are inclined to make about the upcoming tracks.

The trend is quite clear to me at least: Mercedes brilliant when they get it right - when they dont, they struggle big time. Contrary, Ferrari have shown to be strong on all tracks so far. RedBull on the other hand has become very quick too. This will make the rest of the season very interesting if you ask me. 34 points lead put Hamilton at a favorite, but things could shift quickly if both Vettel and RedBull continue with strong performances and can put themselves ahead of Mercedes.
Agreed, also its worth noting that Lewis car in 2014, 2015 and 2016 has had a DNF at least once.
So Lewis gets a DNF and Vettel wins, all of a sudden its game on again. Especially if as you say the Merc can´t work the tires properly and Red Bull starts getting involved.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

oT v1
oT v1

If people post Vet/Stroll clips, include the Vet acceleration a few seconds before. Unlucky incident just like Sing, ultimately vet needs to avoid this sh*t

FP1/FP2 better be dry in Japan!! Merc look very vunerable with limited running.
The Power of Dreams

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

f1316 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:27
No safety car, no rain, no particular attrition - Ferrari just can't catch a break; can't help but think of Spa last year, when Hamilton starting from the back, or Abu Dhabi 2012 when Vettel did it, and there were always nice safety cars. If we had got one today - pretty much at any point after Vettel got past Alonso - I think Seb might have won.

And Alonso... I just knew he'd get in Vettel's way, always does; he seems to have a deep resentment for him taking his seat and doing well and always makes it especially hard for him vs others.

All that said, if the Ferrari remains the fastest car everywhere we go - and turbo issue now out the way - 5 wins still guarantees Seb the title; so definitely not over and I suspect Mercedes are doing everything to look after their engine, but if we'd had a 'normal' couple of races, it would look very different.
Ferrari was the fastest car at Monza ? at Spa ? at Baku ? at Silverstone ?
Furthermore, do you really think Merc will be outperform by Ferrari on EVERY race till the end ?

PlatinumZealot

Jester Maroc wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:24
I was not able to watch the race... Anybody have onboards from both Vettel and Stroll. From the single twitter video it appears like Vettel is more to blame than Stroll.

The Malaysia track is super wide and Stroll does not have much more than a single car width between himself and the apex.

That means that Vettel has acres of space on the right. Also, it does appear that they are almost side-by-side (before Vettel accelerates)?

Would love to see more angles to make up my mind...
I think stroll was sleeping and drifted into Seb. However i blame Seb just like I did in Singapore, for placing his car in the line of risky people.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

ripper
ripper

I have read that stewards closed case without any penalty

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Well I think we can now say that the WCC is finished with Ferrari being 118 behind with only 5 to go. It's going to take 'freaky season'X10 for it to be otherwise.

MtthsMlw

Did Vettel use the spec 4 engine for the race or did they return to spec 3 after qualifying ?

ripper
ripper

I guess they used spec 4

adrianjordan

5Live commentary mentioned it was the new spec.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

F1NAC

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:32
Jester Maroc wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:24
I was not able to watch the race... Anybody have onboards from both Vettel and Stroll. From the single twitter video it appears like Vettel is more to blame than Stroll.

The Malaysia track is super wide and Stroll does not have much more than a single car width between himself and the apex.

That means that Vettel has acres of space on the right. Also, it does appear that they are almost side-by-side (before Vettel accelerates)?

Would love to see more angles to make up my mind...
I think stroll was sleeping and drifted into Seb. However i blame Seb just like I did in Singapore, for placing his car in the line of risky people.
He didnt drifted. He freaking turned towards Seb. wtf

Maybe Seb should now just park the car right after finish line because :roll: :roll:
Last edited by F1NAC on 01 Oct 2017, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Xwang
Xwang

Vettel has used the 5th engine in the race (which I presume is 4th spec).

Unc1eM0nty

Phil wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:05
SectorOne wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:58
Sevach wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:55

The fastest car had to come up through the grid let's overlook that...
Nobody is overlooking that. But the third fastest car still managed to secure 2nd place.
For Mercedes this is almost as good as a win.
They extended both championships in a race where they were not even close to be the fastest car.

"but they got rekt" yea if you´re delusional.
I think the worrying aspect is how quick that Ferrari is and how bad the Mercedes is when it fails to hit its operating window....
How bad ? not very I'd say, they were 8 seconds behind the race winner.

SectorOne

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:43
How bad ? not very I'd say, they were 8 seconds behind the race winner.
Verstappen was cruising for most of the race. He even said everytime Hamilton made a quick lap he could easily do a faster one.
Besides, he doesn´t need more then 8-10 seconds, its enough of a buffer for undercuts and bad pit stops.
Better to save tires, take car of the car and bring it home in one piece.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"