McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Has anybody seen a photo of the flowviz test done with the new FW ??

I saw it on TV briefly.

BloodLad91

wesley123 wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 09:36
BloodLad91 wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 14:09
wesley123 wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:00

considering how the pressure difference would be reduced because of the slots I would say it actually weakens the vortex. This is all about aero sensitivity imo
The slots are squeezing air at the divided bottom elements creating higher pressure and there is lower pressure behind top wing elements where airflow will accelerate strengthening y250 vortex
Injecting air from top to bottom would reduce the pressure difference, and a vortex is largely based on this pressure difference. Thus, more slots=weaker vortex. It's main advantage here, and this is why Ferrari and Mercedes have a small upward shape here, is that it will allow the vortex to properly exist as air will be injected as it's effectiveness will change as the pitch changes. This is why front wings have 6 elements nowadays.
If you look at update only main plane's inboard section is divided, vortex generating upper flaps remains same with three element with one divided. The front wing's outboard section creates outwash, middle section generate downforce and inboard section is dedicated to generating y250 vortex, so update to only inboard section of front wing has to be about management of y250 vortex.

wesley123

BloodLad91 wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 14:09
wesley123 wrote:
BloodLad91 wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 14:09

The slots are squeezing air at the divided bottom elements creating higher pressure and there is lower pressure behind top wing elements where airflow will accelerate strengthening y250 vortex
Injecting air from top to bottom would reduce the pressure difference, and a vortex is largely based on this pressure difference. Thus, more slots=weaker vortex. It's main advantage here, and this is why Ferrari and Mercedes have a small upward shape here, is that it will allow the vortex to properly exist as air will be injected as it's effectiveness will change as the pitch changes. This is why front wings have 6 elements nowadays.
If you look at update only main plane's inboard section is divided, vortex generating upper flaps remains same with three element with one divided. The front wing's outboard section creates outwash, middle section generate downforce and inboard section is dedicated to generating y250 vortex, so update to only inboard section of front wing has to be about management of y250 vortex.
Which is exactly what I said. It is about managing the vortices in this area, and in this case it's aim would be to reduce the pitch sensitivity that is a big problem with front wings these days.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mclaren111

Motorsport.com:

The intention of the revised wing is to optimize the two main flow structures we’ve already alluded to, with two small slots placed in proximity of the Y250 vortex - one in the secondary element of the mainplane and another in the upper element (highlighted in yellow).

This is an effort by the designers to alter its position and vorticity, inline with changes made to the bargeboards in the last few races.

The outboard section of the wing has been treated similarly, with two slots added to the inner footplate section (highlighted in yellow), injecting flow under the wing from the loaded side.

The inner fluted canards have been altered too (see inset for comparison), their shape now requiring only a single anchoring point on the inside of the endplate.
The wing, which is part of McLaren's 2018 development package, was dubbed as "great" and a major step, by Alonso and, despite Stoffel Vandoorne having only limited running with it, earned a positive reception from the Belgian as well.

BloodLad91

wesley123 wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 17:27
BloodLad91 wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 14:09
wesley123 wrote:

Which is exactly what I said. It is about managing the vortices in this area, and in this case it's aim would be to reduce the pitch sensitivity that is a big problem with front wings these days.
I read article by technicleformula1 and your right the update weakens vortex, couldn't understand why any team would do that since all i hear how important it is, sorry about previous comments i'm not well versed in f1 aero, so don't take my comment too seriously.

Sevach

mclaren111

Amus:

=D> =D> =D>

lio007

TBH it's not something completely new. ToroRosso had this additional slot since Monaco (May), but McLaren has one more.

godlameroso

There's a lot of details that we miss, the things that get talked about are the obvious bits, but I see a lot of geometric optimization in the new wing. Frankly I don't think teams have even scratched the surface with what's possible with these new regulations.

I'm curious how much the wing helps the bargeboards, and if the gain comes from that alone, or if there's more to it.
Saishū kōnā

roon

godlameroso wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 23:01
There's a lot of details that we miss, the things that get talked about are the obvious bits, but I see a lot of geometric optimization in the new wing. Frankly I don't think teams have even scratched the surface with what's possible with these new regulations.
To see the level of development we do now, in only the first year of the current regs, is fascinating. Teams are able to validate and manufacture at ever faster rates, it would seem. The complexity of the serrations and smaller surfaces might keep increasing. Will be interesting to see what next season reveals.

godlameroso

Oh we're going full bird car. In fact I should make a topic about it in the aero section, though I doubt anyone agrees with me.
Saishū kōnā

DFX
DFX

godlameroso wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 23:21
Oh we're going full bird car. In fact I should make a topic about it in the aero section, though I doubt anyone agrees with me.
Alonso said that Mclaren brought some new suspension parts in the last few races, probably 2018 parts, have anyone see something in the photos?

godlameroso

The suspension components is the area we've seen the least of. I haven't even seen so much as a rocker arm this year.
Saishū kōnā

mclaren111

New Air/Heat Outlets as well.