McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Nice angle

roon

godlameroso wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 23:08
The suspension components is the area we've seen the least of. I haven't even seen so much as a rocker arm this year.
Not helped by the fact that the MCL32's suspension components are well hidden even with the bodywork off.

DFX
DFX

roon wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 22:57
godlameroso wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 23:08
The suspension components is the area we've seen the least of. I haven't even seen so much as a rocker arm this year.
Not helped by the fact that the MCL32's suspension components are well hidden even with the bodywork off.

https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... detail.jpg
Well, let me start with the conspirancy theories. What does Mclaren have to hide hmm? :mrgreen:

Jokes aside, Mclaren suspension 'department' really stepped forward since last season when they clearly had a problem. They seem to manage tires very well. I wonder wich kind of setup with those tricky suspensions they are running.

f1rules

From Joseki autosport forum
Its interesting to see how much closer to the ground mclarens frontwing is, probably due to the high rake philosophy

DiogoBrand

f1rules wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 09:17
From Joseki autosport forum
Its interesting to see how much closer to the ground mclarens frontwing is, probably due to the high rake philosophy
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNVlxJmW0AIjPXZ.jpg
Interesting detail, and yes, it is one of the benefits of high rake.

Craigy

This is the first time I've seen 9 wing elements at the Y250 section.
Has anyone seen the same number, or more elements, before?

Thunder

Feel Free to start a new Thread about how Cars behave under different Aero Loads but this Thread is about the MCL32 specifically. Please stick to the Topic.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bill shoe

Craigy wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 16:05
I haven't. I've been an aficionado of counting the number of elements at a given wing section (obscure but true!), and until recently I've only seen up to 7. The McLaren Y250 wing section always looked more thin and precise than other cars all season long (even back when they only had 7 elements there), so I think they must 3D print that area.

wesley123

BloodLad91 wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 17:00
I read article by technicleformula1 and your right the update weakens vortex, couldn't understand why any team would do that since all i hear how important it is, sorry about previous comments i'm not well versed in f1 aero, so don't take my comment too seriously.
You are right in the sense that ideally they don't want to weaken the vortex. But in the same sense they don't want a vortex that stops existing under braking because of the pitch. So these slots will introduce air under the wing, which essentially prevent 'choking'. They allow the vortex to more consistently exist. Downforce will be more consistent, but peak downforce would be a little lower.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mmred

wesley123 wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 17:58
BloodLad91 wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 17:00
I read article by technicleformula1 and your right the update weakens vortex, couldn't understand why any team would do that since all i hear how important it is, sorry about previous comments i'm not well versed in f1 aero, so don't take my comment too seriously.
You are right in the sense that ideally they don't want to weaken the vortex. But in the same sense they don't want a vortex that stops existing under braking because of the pitch. So these slots will introduce air under the wing, which essentially prevent 'choking'. They allow the vortex to more consistently exist. Downforce will be more consistent, but peak downforce would be a little lower.
i think u conflate the importance of the vortex with the need of fueling it.
the vortex, there, is unwanted, it comes from regulations, so it cant be avoided and must be properly directed to the barge boards to expell it outside of the car and not disrupt the laminar flow at the sidepods and floor start

of course sometimes a vortex helps prevent stall and flux detachment, but its not the case there, cause more vorticity prevents stall but also reduces load, so u want it where u cant afford oterwise a laminar flow (like at the end of a hi load surface where the zone in the back doesnt need to brin other load anymore, for example the nolder in front of the front wheels needs more vorticity, but in front of the sidepod or floor u need laminar flow , that s why you have so many deflectors )

in the end if u inject more laminar flow into a vortex you weaken it by reducin the importance of the overall vorticity component, so they clearly want to reduce it there
Last edited by mmred on 02 Nov 2017, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

roon

bill shoe wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 15:20
Craigy wrote:
The McLaren Y250 wing section always looked more thin and precise than other cars all season long (even back when they only had 7 elements there), so I think they must 3D print that area.
It seems like they have bigger gaps between the elements as well, something I've noticed from them during the McLaren-Honda era, and distinct from the rest of the field.

If not 3D printed, they may just have developed more streamlined processes for turning around CF parts. Something the whole field seems more adept at nowadays. The tiny features like the brake duct winglets, diffuser feathers and VGs, for the most part still show CF weave.

Marco Alves

McLaren's latest F1 front wing update explained - video

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... ed-975307/

Craigy

roon wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 23:01
bill shoe wrote:
Craigy wrote:
The McLaren Y250 wing section always looked more thin and precise than other cars all season long (even back when they only had 7 elements there), so I think they must 3D print that area.
It seems like they have bigger gaps between the elements as well, something I've noticed from them during the McLaren-Honda era, and distinct from the rest of the field.

If not 3D printed, they may just have developed more streamlined processes for turning around CF parts. Something the whole field seems more adept at nowadays. The tiny features like the brake duct winglets, diffuser feathers and VGs, for the most part still show CF weave.
It'll be in carbonfibre, I think. Just well-made.
The 3d printing I've seen in F1 (plastics) is for 60% scale aero models generally.
In F1 some bits are created using SLS (metal additive "printing") - but you'd not use that for front wing elements.

makecry

From AMuS,

McLaren has made giant steps on the chassis and chassis in recent races. Experts in the paddock believe, for the same reasons as Red Bull. McLaren is apparently able to lower his car on the straight back. Thus, the top speed shortcoming is not so great despite the strong employment of the vehicle. Honda has also caught up in modest steps. As long as the engine does not need the support of the MGU-H, the McLaren keep up with the competition. On the first third of the straight. Nevertheless, Alonso demands: "We also have to refill the chassis to get to the level of the top teams. On the positive side, every development step in the right direction went from the race in Hungary. "

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 94057.html?

cramr

Craigy wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 16:58
roon wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 23:01
bill shoe wrote:

It'll be in carbonfibre, I think. Just well-made.
The 3d printing I've seen in F1 (plastics) is for 60% scale aero models generally.
In F1 some bits are created using SLS (metal additive "printing") - but you'd not use that for front wing elements.
3D printing of Rapid prototyping is very heavy and weak compared to CF. It's not very used in racecar except test parts or very experimental devices just to see if it's worth producing