2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
turbof1

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Next year, during winter testing:

"Ok Lewis, come back in. We'll get our Superhards on".

yeah I could not help myself. I'll show myself out.
#AeroFrodo

PhillipM

I think they just need to stop this ridiculousness, and just bring track specific 'soft, hard, qualifying' tyres.
They're at the point where they have track specific tyres now anyway, so all the old 4 compounds to save on costs has already gone out the window.

GPR-A duplicate2

So, what are we going to witness now? 3 Engines and drivers cannot push. Softer tyres and drivers cannot push. Add to that, the 30kg extra weight of Halo. Slower, Slower and Slower cars.

We saw a few races this year like Barcelona, Russia, Austria and Spa where driver chasing can push for longer and provided exciting finishes to the races. With tyres getting softer, 2 or 3 hard push laps and the tyres would be gone, then driver gives up the chase. With cars getting slower due to the factors mentioned above, even if the tyres gets 4 steps softer we would still witness 1 stoppers. Everyone would go slow anyway. THERE WILL NEVER BE HARD CORE racing with cheese cake tyres.

For god sake, why can't mandate use of 3 compounds in every race! That would take away the premium of preserving the tyres AND you can let the tyres be more durable. You don't need SuperHard and MegaSoft compounds. UltraSoft, SuperSoft, Soft and Hard (change the name of medium to hard). Just leave the tyre behavior as it is!

As much as the 2017 regulations change was intended to make the cars go faster, the FIA keeps shooting in foot over and over again. The more they take away the performance, the more it favors the big teams as they can spend a few millions more and push the mid-field and back markers even further behind. They don't have extra millions to spend. So, after a few laps, we will witness racing in 3 categories. One at the front, between HIGH BUDGET teams, one in the middle with MEDIUM BUDGET teams and PARTICIPATION at the back with LOW BUDGET teams.

And then FIA once again forms committees to find out, why there is no closer racing?

Sevach

turbof1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 15:29
I dare Pirelli to add a Sloppyhard, I just dare them :lol: .

So if I get it right, the hypersoft will be 2 steps softer than the current 2017 ultrasoft, while the superhard will roughly be the 2017 hard tyre. To my knowledge the hard was never used by any team in the race, so I really fail to see the use of such a tyre.

You are not the only one.
The hard was only taken to Spain and teams avoided it like the plague.

Do the racing rules change? Still 3 choices per weekend? Strategies will still be boring and this will be a pointless change.

At this point i would say even the Bridgestone strategy was more exciting, just 2 compounds per weekend, but 1 step apart.

PlatinumZealot

Thunder wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 15:23
Because we needed a SuperHard Tire... :wtf:
I think the superhard is essentially the same hard from this year and the 2018 hard is the compound that is closer performance to the medium tyre, but still hard enough to last a race distance. There was an enormous gap between medium and hard that no one used them at all. This should fix that problem.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Restomaniac

It should still have been an open choice.

Every driver (not team) need to bring 2 compounds (need to be side by side compounds HS-US, US-SS, SS-S, S-M, etc) of which is both needed to be used. With it being totally up to the drivers with no input from the FIA.
Fancy a 3 stopper? Then go for the softest pair and qualify highest as possible. However want to go longer in the race then you lose the fastest tyre in qualifying. Everyone wants a mixed up grid and overtaking. There you go.

santos

All i can say about the tyres for 2018 is: #-o

Just_a_fan

Restomaniac wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 11:51
Fancy a 3 stopper? Then go for the softest pair and qualify highest as possible. However want to go longer in the race then you lose the fastest tyre in qualifying. Everyone wants a mixed up grid and overtaking. There you go.
Nice idea in theory but the reality is that there is generally one quick strategy and teams will tend to gravitate towards it. You might get a mid field team trying something different but the top end will generally all do the same number of stops.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Restomaniac

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 16:21
Restomaniac wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 11:51
Nice idea in theory but the reality is that there is generally one quick strategy and teams will tend to gravitate towards it. You might get a mid field team trying something different but the top end will generally all do the same number of stops.
Better than the current set up when everyone is in a straight jacket of 'that's all you're allowed sorry'. Sounds like the HS and US are going to be made if soft cheese again in 2018 so it would make teams possibly think outside the box.
Teams take a punt if they are given a chance. This would be that.

F1NAC

GPR-A wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 16:00
So, what are we going to witness now? 3 Engines and drivers cannot push. Softer tyres and drivers cannot push. Add to that, the 30kg extra weight of Halo. Slower, Slower and Slower cars.

14 kilos is HALO. Minimium weight raises for 6 kg next year

Juzh

Mario Isola just exaplained during an interview with sky sports that super hard is not going to be used at all and that it's only available in the range in case 2018 cars are somehow generating much more downforce than predicted.

He also said 2018 hypersoft is 2 steps softer than 2017 ultrasoft.

NL_Fer

So 2017 Hard -> Superhard 2018
2017 Medium -> Hard 2018
2017 Soft -> Medium 2018
2017 Supersoft -> Soft 2018
2017 Ultrasoft -> Supersoft 2018
2017 ..... -> Ultrasoft 2018
2017 ..... -> Hypersoft 2018

PlatinumZealot

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Nickel

It bothers my symmetry ocd that they didn't go ultra hard to ultra soft.

f1316

F1NAC wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 16:48
GPR-A wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 16:00

14 kilos is HALO. Minimium weight raises for 6 kg next year
We should note that Pirelli have said these tyres, whilst softer, will retain the characteristics of this year - I.e. drivers will still be able to push them. We can presume it’s probably the difference between just general ware and thermal degradation which we had pre2017.

Lewis said the hyper silly softs were the best tyres Pirelli have made, so it would seem this is true.