2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach

Re: 2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

That's awful, Williams had it's best time in years when it ditched pay drivers and put 2 guys in there because of their skills and experience, now it's back to a Maldonado-B.Senna situation.

bill shoe

Autosport article says if Sirotkin doesn't pay up then Kvyat gets the drive over Kubica. Then the article explicitly claims the Sirotkin over Kubica decision is based purely on performance. But Kvyat hasn't even tested in a Williams, so there goes the based-purely-on-performance thing.

Hope that Frank, Clair, and Paddy have a good long-term vision for where the team is going, and that this driver $ituation supports it. We'll never know from press releases and leaked stories to Autosport.

Mr Brooksy

I hope Williams know what they are doing! Stopping the slide down the grid looks like a tough thing to reverse with the current speculated drivers driving for the team unless Sirotkin has shown something we simply don't see.

Paddy had better design one of the best cars on the grid at this point to stave off the likes of McLaren, Renault and Force India!

I don't know if we are heading in a good direction Williams... Please prove me wrong...
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

FrukostScones

Sevach wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 03:53
That's awful, Williams had it's best time in years when it ditched pay drivers and put 2 guys in there because of their skills and experience, now it's back to a Maldonado-B.Senna situation.
Maldonado-B.Senna Situation? Sirotkin gonna win a GP for Williams. Great News then.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

DK20

This is really sad. To see Williams driving not with 1, but 2 paydrivers in 2018. I am really sorry to this see historic team falling like this.

Vasconia

I was fearing this, the risky but great move or the coward one? ohh shame of you Williams. #-o

7ka

it's very sad :-({|= for Williams ...
Kubica is a great complete driver !
I'm still waiting for news from Williams :!:

restless

Kubica WAS a very good driver
But noone here has idea how good is he now.
Obviously both Renault and Williams decided he's not good enough.

Webber2011

I feel some of the latest posters are basking in the glow of glory days now passed for Williams, and maybe even underestimate Clair's passion to get them back to the top ?

No problem there, I have very fond memories of those days too.

Gone though are the days of blokes like Frank and Patrick mashing together a motley crew who couldn't give a $hit about anything other than racing.

This is now a cut throat bussiness where only the strongest survive and even though they aren't winning Championships, survive is exactly what Williams have done.

Yes they've made some terrible decisions over the years chasing cash, I still struggle to get my head around just how bad the Maldonado situation was.

The resurrection of Robert's career would be nothing short of a fairytale come true for most of us I'd imagine.

But in the cold light of day, if Sirotken is on par with Kubica speed wise and drags along a bag of cash too heavy to lift, why the hell wouldn't they go with it ?

I've been a Williams fan since I was a little kid, and it pains me to see what they are enduring.
I also understand that this model can't go on forever, filling the budget yet not really ever competing with the big boys will one day turn sour.

What they need to do is spend these injections of cash on some hefty technical guys so that they stop building average to dog cars, and also develop throughout the season instead of hitting a brick wall and watching the rest of the midfield smash them in that regard.

They seem to now be heading in that direction with a few signings, but only time will tell I guess ?

If next year's car is rubbish, then it won't matter who's driving it.

netoperek

What good is 15 mil, when You have no driver experienced enough to evaluate Your progress and pinpoint weaknesess? If mere existance and profit is the goal for Williams, then they take 2 pay drivers, grab a bag of popcorn and sit back. What difference does it make if You finish 5th or 8th when You merely supply a pricey rent car.

Sirotkin found his speed in Abu Dhabi on Kubica's setup, not before. More interestingly, SS said the car is very good as it is, while Kubica's list of complains has been reportedly quite long. I suppose it can make all the difference in car development department

restless

Please give us all the details, cause you know these...
:rolling eyes: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Assuming that Paddy Lowe is a diletant is just absurd.
If you guys can clearly evaluate how good a driver is, only watching on TV and reading rumours, just go ahead make your own F1 team and start winning

:evil:

netoperek

That would be awesome if it turns out that SS is indeed contracted - in Lance's car :) Similar amount of money on the table, potentially a better driver. Win-win situation :P

Webber2011

netoperek wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 11:32
What good is 15 mil, when You have no driver experienced enough to evaluate Your progress and pinpoint weaknesess? If mere existance and profit is the goal for Williams, then they take 2 pay drivers, grab a bag of popcorn and sit back. What difference does it make if You finish 5th or 8th when You merely supply a pricey rent car.

Sirotkin found his speed in Abu Dhabi on Kubica's setup, not before. More interestingly, SS said the car is very good as it is, while Kubica's list of complains has been reportedly quite long. I suppose it can make all the difference in car development department
Hey mate, I'm on your side so don't think I'm not.

I would love for Williams to have Robert, but I also feel he's been outpaced and out funded by SS.

This is not a compliment on my behalf, I agree with you that Williams would benefit from a better development driver, but that's not going to do jack $hit if they don't have the right designers, and tech guys.

Sorry if I came across the wrong way, I'm a Williams fan through and through 😉

Sevach

bill shoe wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 05:44
Autosport article says if Sirotkin doesn't pay up then Kvyat gets the drive over Kubica. Then the article explicitly claims the Sirotkin over Kubica decision is based purely on performance. But Kvyat hasn't even tested in a Williams, so there goes the based-purely-on-performance thing.

Hope that Frank, Clair, and Paddy have a good long-term vision for where the team is going, and that this driver $ituation supports it. We'll never know from press releases and leaked stories to Autosport.
Kubica was also potentially bringing sponsors, so the choice between Sirotkin and Kubica might be legitimate.
Also it seems Kubica dropped out of consideration entirely, money or not, which speaks more about his current level than Sirotkin's abilities honestly.

netoperek

From Polish sources: Mika Salo, who was amongst those helping Sirotkin's case said, that the seat will be taken by either Kubica or Sirotkin. "Decision is near, we'll see which one of them Williams will choose".
More contradictory news, please :lol:

Sevach, Sirotkin is reportedly bringing at least twice the cash. I hate to say it, but with similar performance at this day, can't blame Williams they're seriously considering him.