2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

restless wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 14:33
NathanOlder wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 00:58
No one here knows how Robert could perform next season, No one here can doubt his talent in the past. And No One here can say Sirotkin is a hot prospect. He has done nothing in the last 5 years. So he doesnt deserve this drive. If Kubica misses out, it should be to Werhlein or Kvyat.
Because Werhlein and Kvyat are hot prospects? Or bring more money than Kubica? Or what?
Because Kvyat and Wehrlein both have multiple years of experience. Which is needed to help develop the car.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marmer

krisfx wrote:
DK20 wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 20:51
marmer wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 17:43
take a leap. he would be faster than half of the drivers missing an arm Renault were all ready for putting him in the car until carlos became an option. who would be in my top half of drivers
This Kubica positivity is more fairytale than reality. Even Schumacher, when returned after a shorter break than Kubica, failed. And he returned healthy, unlike Kubica.
He was probably up as good as Rosberg, who then went on to beat Hamilton... His comeback can't have been that bad
And that Mercedes was not the best car on the grid at the time so we had no reason to expect the old Michael.

And when Michael returned he was much older than kubica is now it was not his speed that was an issue it was his decision making that was poor. Which seems to be a trend with older drivers they either back off and don't take chances or over do it trying to recapture there former talent. Seems to be happing with Kimi at the moment in the backing off in moves that other drivers would do

restless

According to autosport, Kubica is out ... they even closed the thread in the forum ( :? )

Vasconia

marmer wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 15:47
krisfx wrote:
DK20 wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 20:51

This Kubica positivity is more fairytale than reality. Even Schumacher, when returned after a shorter break than Kubica, failed. And he returned healthy, unlike Kubica.
He was probably up as good as Rosberg, who then went on to beat Hamilton... His comeback can't have been that bad
And that Mercedes was not the best car on the grid at the time so we had no reason to expect the old Michael.

And when Michael returned he was much older than kubica is now it was not his speed that was an issue it was his decision making that was poor. Which seems to be a trend with older drivers they either back off and don't take chances or over do it trying to recapture there former talent. Seems to be happing with Kimi at the moment in the backing off in moves that other drivers would do
Michael´s biggest mistake was to think that he was close to his level when he left in 2006(which was already not the best Michael). He was too confident(not a surprise giving into account how good he was) and didnt think carefully that his motorbike accident, his age and his 3 years of retirement were too much, even for him.

Manoah2u

Still, i would have enjoyed seeing Michael stay in Mercedes and Hamilton at his side, and see the fruits from his work at Mercedes. All the ingredients were there anyway. Really would have loved to see Schumi in the dominating 2014 Mercedes, and how he and hamilton would fare against eachother.

I can only speculate that either he physicaly got too tired from the pressure and how much it demanded, or that he noticed he was unable to achieve his former level, and didn't want to get beaten to a pulp by Hamilton. I think actually it would have been rather similar between Michael and Lewis compared to Lewis and Rosberg. Michael and Rosberg were rather on the same level it seemed, and i think Schumi still had room to 'grow back'.
Also, Schumacher stated he stopped his first F1 stint to give way for younger drivers like Massa when Kimi came aboard. I think that was actually honest from Michael, some people argue he was afraid to get beaten by Kimi reaching the 'natural end' of his legendary f1 career, and i think that slightly played a part, but as relentless Schumacher was in the car, as friendly and humble he was in daily - normal - life.

So i see Schumacher once again stopping to not steal Mercedes' drive from fellow German buddy Rosberg, and giving the youngster a chance.
A shame still. Brawn and Schumacher building a team that turned out in a absolutely dominating car not at all unlike his Ferrari era dominance.

It hurts to know what state Schumacher is in. It really does, and i can talk from experience with my own dad who has the same condition from comparable head injury.
It's devastating, it's heartbreaking. But it is what it is, and that's just how it is.

And that same goes for Kubica. Nothing but respect for his return to this level, but if he doesn't get contracted this season, it's gonna be clear as day that he can't handle it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 20:16

It hurts to know what state Schumacher is in. It really does, and i can talk from experience with my own dad who has the same condition from comparable head injury.
It's devastating, it's heartbreaking. But it is what it is, and that's just how it is.

And that same goes for Kubica. Nothing but respect for his return to this level, but if he doesn't get contracted this season, it's gonna be clear as day that he can't handle it.
I think both Michael and Brawn deserved to enjoy at least one season of this dominating Mercedes. But life is like that, it´s not fair...

I am sorry to read this mate, I hope your father will recover himself from this situation.

Webber2011

Vasconia wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 09:55
Manoah2u wrote:

I think both Michael and Brawn deserved to enjoy at least one season of this dominating Mercedes. But life is like that, it´s not fair...

I am sorry to read this mate, I hope your father will recover himself from this situation.
+1 Man, so sorry to hear about your Dad.
Wishing you both all the best.

Manoah2u

Webber2011 wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 10:22
Vasconia wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 09:55
Manoah2u wrote:

+1 Man, so sorry to hear about your Dad.
Wishing you both all the best.
Thanks guys.

No, unfortunately, he can't recover.

He awoke from the coma after about 6 months and has made some minor progress but due to permanent brain damage in important areas is no longer able to further develop any recovery (neurological) which is inhuman, to say it mildly. I can tell you, a man is better off falling asleep and never waking up again in such a situation.

It gives me a great deal insight in how Schumacher must be doing and his family, and i can fully understand and support why there is no news coming out. Let the man 'live' his remainder in peace.

As for hope - sure, there are rare cases of sudden moments of 'awakening' which is a result of the brain making new connections daily like every human being does, and with nothing but blind luck those connections then find a way of connecting to a 'lost path' due to previous damage disconnecting the paths to those memories (neurological connections) and suddenly 'a door' opens and essentially, you can enter into a harddrive to which you couldn't approach for a long time and find all the data stored there bar some that got lost due to 'defragmentation' or simple 'damage'.

What most people don't realise is that Schumacher actually already suffered a minor amount of such brain damage when he had his motorcycle accident and his artery was damaged/blocked and he suffered brain damage from lack of blood/oxygen into that area (paired with a hefty hit that caused a concussion which in itself is a blow to the brain). As 'mild' as that was, his motoric functions were - ever so slightly or perhaps worse than we will ever (need) to know - affected and through rest, physical therapy and time he could overcome this problem. Make no mistake as this not means that the damage was undone. You can miss a finger and still drive a car, paint, whatever, but you're still missing that finger.

This is why - i believe that is - Schumacher's post 2010 F1 stint was unsuccessfull compared to the former stint, as there were too many influences that hampered the total package (including age and change of the sport).

And, additionally, why the effects of his ski-incident might have a bigger impact than had he never had that motorcycle accident.

I think Schumacher took the challenge of a F1 return as a means of dealing with that and as a new challenge in itself to see how he could compete. Just imagine him winning a GP and perhaps even a championship despite this 'handicap'. It didn't work out unfortunately.

And this brings us to why Kubica couldn't have a successfull comeback based upon making an unfair conclusion that Schumacher's 'unsuccessfull Mercedes run has been put only on absence of time and age

Schumacher suffered from neurological setbacks/handicaps within his F1 return. (even if it's small).
Kubica suffered from physical setbacks/handicaps within his F1 return. (even if it's small).

They both have a handicap and you can argue for both that it would hamper them to perform on the required level.

Nevertheless, both Schumacher and Kubica were able to (still) drive an F1 car and be reasonably competitive with it from the data they could gather.

anyway. what time today can we expect an announcement?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

marmer

Still hoping kubica is the driver.

Manoah2u

marmer wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 11:35
Still hoping kubica is the driver.
Me too though. [-o<

Please Williams, let's turn today into a festivity and loads of claps. Imagine the revenue and positivity they'll get from this. All the merchandise, Martini's etc. they'd sell.

Please, announce Kubica as the race driver with Sirotkin as the reserve who will do the Russian GP and take 7 million from him for doing that and some friday practice sessions.

Manoah2u

https://translate.google.es/translate?s ... edit-text=

oh dear oh dear. so many signs that it'll not happen.

bill shoe

Santozini

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... ry-988860/

Which kind of game is Williams playing?

adrianjordan

Santozini wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 17:59
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... ry-988860/

Which kind of game is Williams playing?
There's no such thing as bad publicity....this keeps the headlines going...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

HondaRaceReplica

Kubica is not going to get signed....If he was..... they would have already announced it...I believe they are just egging him on for publicity’s sake....If it wasn’t for all the drama in regards to Kubica not many people would be paying atttention right now...it’s almost at soap drama levels and has gotten them plenty of articles at the major websites.....I also believe Sirotkin is in the same boat as Kubica and they are leading the Russians ever since Daniil got dropp d and there is not a Russian Driver on the grid.....I would not be surprised if at the end of the day the sign Kvyat or Werhlein to the seat....2 drivers with actual speed and F1 experience under their belt