2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

etusch wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 12:04
Chicane wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 10:57

4] Zak has said they have signed a few sponsors but they do not believe in title sponsorship. now one may not agree with his view but his reasoning for it at least makes some sense. Mclaren not just have a race team but they also have a road car business where brand name and identity matters.
Do you think name sponsors damage teams name? Redbull also selling some products. Why they don't fear of that?! They don't know marketing?
RedBull not know marketing? :lol:

RedBull and Mclaren are 2 totally different brands on far different spectrums in business areas.

Mclaren don't believe in title sponsors for some reason. It makes sense somewhat because if you don't have a title sponsor per sé, people will recognize you for being Mclaren, not being 'Telefonica Mclaren'. Hence, when people walk into a Mclaren dealership, they don't have 'Telefonica Mclaren' in their head, they only think of Mclaren the F1 team.

Just like said above.

Now if Mclaren have no interest - anymore - in a title sponsor, that doesn't mean they aren't looking for a 'main' sponsor that will have similar impact atleast financially. They used to have Marlboro, West and Vodafone as a title sponsor, so the idea of not believing in a title sponsor is of recent nature it seems then.

Doesn't mean they aren't looking for a Grand title sponsor, it just seems like you must read it as that its not going to become like 'Martini Williams F1 Racing', just to name one.

Instead, they might 'simply' grab a really big-paying sponsor that will be clearly visible on the Mclarens - for example the sidepods, rear wing, front wing, etc. Let's take Gilette as an example. It won't become Gilette Mclaren - Renault, it will simply remain Mclaren - Renault, and then when you see them on the circuit, you'll instantly see gigantic Gilette on the sidepods [in blue, for example]. Mclaren is finishing in the top 6 every weekend and does podiums and some wins (hypothetically) so Gilette gets lots of exposure, and yet Mclaren also gets their own exposure because it's not a Gilette Mclaren, it's a Mclaren.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

etusch

So you are saying if someone offer Mclaren for title sponsorship Mclaren will not accept it?
What spectrum you are talking about? Ferrari also selling cars. Mersedes too? It seems that you feel you have to defend whatever Mclaren did.

Manoah2u

etusch wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 12:34
So you are saying if someone offer Mclaren for title sponsorship Mclaren will not accept it?
What spectrum you are talking about? Ferrari also selling cars. Mersedes too? It seems that you feel you have to defend whatever Mclaren did.
you mentioned RedBull, not me #-o

i'll repeat as reading seems difficult; RedBull is in a different business spectrum than Mclaren.

funny how you accuse others of 'defending' while it seems you can't take a break from attacking Mclaren,
and whilst doing that, spread disinformation and incorrect statements and even twist words.
did i say that Mclaren would not accept it? Who is offering Mclaren a title sponsorship?
Mclaren is seeking a sponsor, they have never mentioned seeking a title sponsor. It's not like brands go around knocking on team doors like some energy brand for your home to offer you a deal in providing energy,
so it's really not like for example GULF knocked on Mclaren's door and somebody said 'not interested'.

Zak stated they aren't looking for a title sponsor. as mentioned by another member here for example.
can't get much simpler than that.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

etusch

Manoah2u wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 13:08
etusch wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 12:34
you mentioned RedBull, not me #-o

and no, i don't need to defend Mclaren, but it seems you can't take a break from attacking Mclaren.
and did i say that Mclaren would not accept it? Who is offering Mclaren a title sponsorship?
Mclaren is seeking a sponsor, they have never mentioned seeking a title sponsor. It's not like brands go around knocking on team doors like some energy brand for your home to offer you a deal in providing energy,
so it's really not like for example GULF knocked on Mclaren's door and somebody said 'not interested'.
I did not attacked Mclaren but Zak Brown and boullier. If you look good
what I said, there would not so many unnessesery Mclaren defend

Manoah2u

what is unneccesary is dancing around what many members here have been responding to your 'statements' and maintaining a certain question/attitude over and over again despite it - as above with bauc for example clearly been answered.

it's funny how the bickering from the honda thread where mclaren got shot down, then in the redbull vs mclaren thread, and the also mclaren vs toro rosso thread now transfers into the mclaren team thread itself.

damager21

Given McLaren's performance over the past few years, I don't think they will get any significant offer from brands to be their Title sponsor. Till then, it is good to say that we don't want any Advertiser name preceding McLaren. The day McLaren is back at the front of the grid and get's any significant offer, we will all see" XYZ McLaren Renault"

I think right now its a mixed bag. McLaren for sure would not want to sell title sponsor for cheap and I am sure they are already receiving interest from few brands - albeit at a much lower price

dren

I think Mclaren values itself higher than the market does. That was Ron's problem it seemed, but even then, he got Honda to inject a serious sum of money.
Honda!

RonDennis

McLaren just need a couple of good years ahead of the new regulations. I'm pretty sure McLaren would be happy to sign a new title sponsor, because more money, means more performance, it's as simple as that. McLaren is McLaren and there isn't a sponsor that would change that in my opinion. Did you ever talk to someone that said "Vodafone McLaren Mercedes is doing great"? It's just like those rebadged engines. Everyone talks about Red Bull and Renault not Red Bull and Tag Heuer. They will go back to Honda eventually, because that story isn't done.

diffuser

dren wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 14:33
I think Mclaren values itself higher than the market does. That was Ron's problem it seemed, but even then, he got Honda to inject a serious sum of money.
Usually when you don't sell ad space it's cause of 1 reason, it's priced too high.

The "why" it's priced "too high" is another question.
  • They're likely pricing it at a level that one would expect to pay for a team that is regularly on the podium, which they haven't been.
  • They can afford it. Obviously if they were a Williams, they'd drop their prices to sell the space. Even hire drivers that bring $$$. They don't have too, so we have to believe they have the backing.

Pretty sure McLaren know what they're doing when it comes to advertising, selling ad space and branding.

I'm also sure that firing Zak Brown before he's completed a full year with the team, would be short sighted. As to what Eric has to do with all this I'm not sure.

I would be inclined to believe that ZAK and Eric have drawn etusch ire cause of their role in breaking the agreement with Honda more than anything else.
Last edited by diffuser on 20 Dec 2017, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

dren

I would expect Zak knows what he is doing, or at least trying to do. Ron obviously failed to raise funding outside of the Honda partnership. The teams weren't getting the kind of money they were used to from sponsorship prior to the market collapse in 2008. Mclaren isn't the force in F1 it once was, either. From the outside, it looks like Mclaren thinks of themselves higher than what they are; they come across as a bit arrogant. Mclaren appeared to be heading that direction years prior to the Honda disaster.
Honda!

dren

RonDennis wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 15:16
McLaren just need a couple of good years ahead of the new regulations. I'm pretty sure McLaren would be happy to sign a new title sponsor, because more money, means more performance, it's as simple as that. McLaren is McLaren and there isn't a sponsor that would change that in my opinion. Did you ever talk to someone that said "Vodafone McLaren Mercedes is doing great"? It's just like those rebadged engines. Everyone talks about Red Bull and Renault not Red Bull and Tag Heuer. They will go back to Honda eventually, because that story isn't done.
I don't see Honda going back to Mclaren. If Mclaren gets in a pickle and has to go hunting for PU options, Honda will be the first to turn them down, politely of course.
Honda!

Zynerji

dren wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 16:10
RonDennis wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 15:16
I don't see Honda going back to Mclaren. If Mclaren gets in a pickle and has to go hunting for PU options, Honda will be the first to turn them down, politely of course.
I doubt that very much. As an engine supplier, if Honda builds an epic PU, they want it in the most competitive chassis. I could easily see 2019 RBR/STR/McL all using Honda if it takes the fight to Merc this year.

Honda doesn't have the concern of Merc/Ferrari/Renault when it comes to getting whipped by a customer team. They have the freedom to win with anyone without looking stupid.

dren

If/when the Honda is in a Red Bull, they will not be looking to put their PU in a Mclaren.
Honda!

RonDennis

dren wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 14:33
Of course they do, because they aren't a team that should finish 9th. This is McLaren we are talking about, not Williams or Sauber. They aren't going to sell their most valuable space for a couple of millions that also makes their brand look cheap. But without any results, nobody is going to pay the amount that McLaren would like to see. If they will end up 4th next year and have some podium I'm pretty sure Brown's task will make it a lot easier. Let's also wait and see what new partners he signed.

Zynerji

dren wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 17:14
If/when the Honda is in a Red Bull, they will not be looking to put their PU in a Mclaren.
That's a strong comment, and devoid of facts/ sources/ crystal ball.