F1 pitstop should consider replace the manual hydraulic jackboard with pneumatic airjack hose

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3

F1 pitstop should consider replace the manual hydraulic jackboard with pneumatic airjack hose

IndyCar Series and other racing series in the pits are using pneumatic airjack hose to make car quick lift in the pit stop. F1 should change the manual hydraulic jackboard into pneumatic airjack hose during pit stops in the future.

krisfx

Re: F1 pitstop should consider replace the manual hydraulic jackboard with pneumatic airjack hose

Why? Pitstops are around 2 seconds and I imagine the weight offset of the jacks probably outweighs a benefit in the stops, if there even is one.

Jolle

Re: F1 pitstop should consider replace the manual hydraulic jackboard with pneumatic airjack hose

I believe those air jacks in Indycar are more there because the amount op people working on the car is limited, plus with re-fueling there isn't real time won with the changing of the wheels. Plus indeed, with all the teams having the same chassis and same air lift system, no weight penalties.

the current jacking of the car isn't easy to improve. The wheel off/on motion could get a tad better. But with only one or two pit stops per race, the max gain over a whole GP would max be 2-4 seconds.

marmer

Personally i prefer seeing it go wrong sometimes adds to the drama when a front jack man goes 20ft (when they don't get hurt of course)

Maritimer

Stops are already limited by the speed of the men changing the tires, not getting the car off the ground. This would add nothing but needless complexity and cost.

Jolle

A jack platform in the pit would make more sense, but still, the jacking up the car isn’t where time is lost. They jack up the car at the same time the wheels get un-done

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

But then what would make us laugh as much as when the car hits the front jackman in his sensitive areas, he goes flying 5m back, and then is sat in the pit garage with an ice bag on him??

"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

kalinka

Maritimer wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 00:20
Stops are already limited by the speed of the men changing the tires, not getting the car off the ground. This would add nothing but needless complexity and cost.
I would personally prefer slower pitstops with fewer mechanics working on the car. These 2sec pitstops add nothing to the show, they are too fast for the average viewer to see anything thrilling or amazing. Sometimes even the slow-mo replays aren't enough to see what happened because there are so many people around the car that you rarely get a clear view of what they are actually doing and/or what went wrong...

santos

kalinka wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 11:57
Maritimer wrote:
I would personally prefer slower pitstops with fewer mechanics working on the car. These 2sec pitstops add nothing to the show, they are too fast for the average viewer to see anything thrilling or amazing. Sometimes even the slow-mo replays aren't enough to see what happened because there are so many people around the car that you rarely get a clear view of what they are actually doing and/or what went wrong...
The main point about F1 is the race. That's the show.. And i don't know what is difficult to see in the pit stop.

marmer

kalinka wrote:
Maritimer wrote:
Not sure if trolling or just not a real fan of F1

Zynerji

When I introduce new people to F1, the pitstop speed always gets a "WOW" reaction...

kalinka

Not trolling. I'am an F1 fan since 1989, attended a few races...and you can check my "joined" date too if that mean someting. So I've seen all the pitstop types since back then. The most boring were of course during the refueling era, and yes, these 2sec pitstops are a big WOW! ...but only for so long.
Just a personal opinion.
I can enjoy an Indycar pitstop more , because you can actually pick a guy and follow what and how he is doing. It's not obstructed by 2other people. You must be watching some different F1. I'm sure you have heard several times in the broadcast that commentators are discussing like > Oh, I think I saw that something went a bit wrong at right rear...and after 2 replays...no it was the left front ...maybe...oh yes, that's why it wasn't below 2.5s....it's not so entertaining anymore.

marmer

but the fun is in the detail so what that you can't see straight away when i watch indy car i couldn't believe how slow the cars where in the pits.
and if it takes that long normally when live if the cam is on i see straight away which wheel didn't go on. i might not understand why but a slow wheel is obvious straight away the reply just helps understanding i certainly don't want to follow one random pit guy if your just watching one if he is perfect and someone else messes up you miss than anyway

Just_a_fan

Pit stops aren't really important until something goes wrong. If all of the teams service all of the drivers in X seconds then we can ignore the pit stops. I really hate it when the director cuts from a bit of battle on track to follow a car down the pit lane, in to the box and out again. If something interesting happens, show us as a replay but don't interrupt on track action to show a non-contested pit stop.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

Boy I couldn't agree more.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss