Livery thread again!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: Livery thread again!

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 00:06
Sieper wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 15:22
That simtek in that livery! Wow WoW WoW. Love it!
agreed, i've always had a profound love for that car.
not only did it look fantastic in itself, the livery looked stunning.
the perfect amount of balance, a deep gorgeous purple, the right black accents, and the mtv-blue and yellow sponsor accents make it absolutely incredible sight to behold.

Verstappen driving it back in the day to me was an extra, but apart from that, it was grand on its own. too bad the team didnt' survive.

wasn't adrian newey actually involved with the simtek? or am i mixing some people up?
It was the guy, can't remember his name now... came from Benneton and Symtec was falling apart so he became manager of everything within a few months... he also did the first virgin cars, full CFD without any tunnel work.

jjn9128

Jolle wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 00:18
It was the guy, can't remember his name now... came from Benneton and Symtec was falling apart so he became manager of everything within a few months... he also did the first virgin cars, full CFD without any tunnel work.
Nick Wirth
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jolle

jjn9128 wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 00:30
Jolle wrote:
Nick Wirth
Yes! That’s him. What I believed, talented, not sky of a risk but never got a real shot at a big team as head designer.

Manoah2u

jjn9128 wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 00:30
Jolle wrote:
Nick Wirth
THAT was him indeed. got some stuff mixed up indeed.

did he actually do the same with the Simtek, also full CFD?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

jjn9128

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 20:07
THAT was him indeed. got some stuff mixed up indeed.

did he actually do the same with the Simtek, also full CFD?
No, while I'm sure they were using CFD already by 1994, but I doubt it would have been capable of the whole development until probably mid-late 2000's, depending their computing power. The BMW/Sauber HPC was probably the best at that point (Albert, circa 2006). Prior to that it would have taken an inordinate amount of time. His company - Wirth Research - also designed the Acura P1 (last of the open top P1s) and Honda Indycar aerokit using a CFD only approach.

I'm convinced that Virgin/Manor/Marussia would have been successful in the CFD only approach had they the budget of a mid-pack team, rather than the budget for the cap which never materialized. They seemed to pin the blame on the poor performance on Wirth then continued to flounder at the back with a more traditional approach.

As we've drifted off topic and as I've mentioned Indycar - I rather like this livery for Bourdais. Almost a throwback to the 1997-2001 Jordan's.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

adrianjordan

In Newey's book he talks about how they didn't have CFD in the 90's and if they had it might have avoided some of the troublesome cars he designed around that time including the 94 Williams.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

jjn9128

I've still not got his book, but I do recall him saying the sidepod length on the '94 car caused some issues for the rear floor and diffuser. That said, I remain convinced that CFD was being used from the early 90's. Maybe Williams were behind the game on that. It was definitely an integral part of car design by '98 (even for Tyrrell).
#aerogandalf

f1316

Manoah2u wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 14:41
btw some colours i'd LOVE to see in F1 (again)

I was thinking the Renault, with its BP connection, would actually make a lot of sense to throw some green in there with the yellow.

Found this to illustrate:

Manoah2u

f1316 wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 22:15
Manoah2u wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 14:41
btw some colours i'd LOVE to see in F1 (again)

https://static.autoblog.nl/images/wp201 ... macher.jpg
I was thinking the Renault, with its BP connection, would actually make a lot of sense to throw some green in there with the yellow.

Found this to illustrate:

https://i.imgur.com/flNjrgO_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium
i was hoping mclaren with the potential title-like sponsor perhaps in the form of PetroBras could look like that. probably not - but it would be great
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u

this looks very cool

and some more stuff

btw, i totally drewled like a madman on that pastel blue redbull toro rosso honda

and now for some other cool stuff

DAT BRAWN THO

and finally, something really amazing

_djc

_djc

Latest Ferrari gossip -

Now they have lost Santander and the white that came with it, could we see them go back to the early 90's colours?

IQOS sponsorship added too..

NathanOlder

Do you guys use a plain template for these, if so, where can I get one. I'd love a go at this sometime.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Starscreamer

Guys guys guys....
Stop with those awsome liverys.
Liberty Media Corporation wants a clean look for F1 car.
It may not be offensive, of course
So we can expected boring liverys again.
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

marmer

I want the McLaren that has stealth mode again think it was the shiny 2014 car that was so reflective it would disappear on video feed on gravel or ad boards a few times but can't find any photos of the event sorry