Haas VF-18 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

Re: Haas VF-18 Ferrari

Question is, who can they beat to move up?

- personally i’d put money on TR coming last - I suppose we’ll see if Honda get their act together in time to prevent that

-with Sauber you have the question over what’s more valuable: getting a lot of parts from Ferrari (Sauber insist on doing it themselves) or getting whatever help Alfa brings with it? I put Ericsson down as weakest of the drivers, so that could swing it

- other than that, I don’t see who they’re beating; maybe Williams if they take time to adapt to what’s supposed to be a very different concept (not to mention their driver lineup...), but I still think it’s unlikely they overhaul either them or FI and I personally expect Renault and McLaren to slot in close to the top three

So whilst I think Haas will continue to have respectable and impressive-for-a-new-team pace, I can’t see how they really move anywhere. Maybe 8th again is succes?

NathanOlder

Yeah, Totally agree. It just shows the strength of the current field.

Maybe an extra points system for the privateer teams would give them something realistic to aim at. Like in MotoGP they have/had the top independent award, and the highest place private team in each race should get to go up on the podium. It gives these guys something to really aim at.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Ashwinv16

The overall design although complex many parts such as the rear wings are a carryover from last year, but then this is a rendering, more changes in testing.
Notice the Haas clearly uses the entire 5 degree allowance for the exhaust and a more aggressively angled gearbox cover, effectively minimising the lose of the monkey seat.(Well they can't be placed behind the exhaust anymore, but this rule also is part of the reason that opened up to the use of lower T-wing) The shark fin also comes much further away from the engine cover than intended due to Article 3.5.1c.

The biggest surprise is the side pods. Complex if not more than the Ferrari and the side impact structure is placed lower like Ferrari's last year's design but it is much clearer in this design as it is abruptly cut off unlike Ferrari's 2017 design which was smoothly countered and covered
Ferrari's design
Red arrow showing the side impact structure positioning and green arrow showing how it fit through

The side pod turning vanes (Well deflectors in this case now as they have been focusing on deflecting the air coming from the inner surface of Bargeboards and nose cone (Redbull last year still focused on making the air flow along the sidepods, while Haas and Ferrari focused on making the air flow above the sidepods). Although interesting is pretty much an efficient version to the more crude version they had last year.

They also reduced the size of the delta wings(The wings attached to the nosecone), as the reshaped sidepod airflow conditioners is now higher than last years sidepod intake. (Moved it from the speculation thread)
Halo not as bad as we thought

Vanja #66

This post is already in the Car thread, moved with a lot of other posts from the Speculation thread.

forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26857&start=15#p737791
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Blackout

Those multiple 'l' shaped louvres underneath the BB look like the Renault ones but they're bigger and open ended at the front similar to the STR style rear endplate louvres. I like em :P
https://i.redd.it/cpedjk8kn8uz.jpg

adrianjordan

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 22:38
Yeah, Totally agree. It just shows the strength of the current field.

Maybe an extra points system for the privateer teams would give them something realistic to aim at. Like in MotoGP they have/had the top independent award, and the highest place private team in each race should get to go up on the podium. It gives these guys something to really aim at.
Problem is, Red Bull Racing and Mclaren would easily fit in as private teams...so that doesn't leave much for the rest...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vanja #66

Batman cape on VF-18 as well? Seeing Williams and, seemingly, Haas adopt it, could we see it on the red car as well?

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

DVB

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 13:40
Batman cape on VF-18 as well? Seeing Williams and, seemingly, Haas adopt it, could we see it on the red car as well?
I believe they added the batman cape during 2016 season. But skipped it last year.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

Vanja #66

Haas or Ferrari? There was a "bat wing" on Ferrari, but it was something completely different.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

DVB

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 16:26
Haas or Ferrari? There was a "bat wing" on Ferrari, but it was something completely different.
Ferrari.. Let me have a search where I try to find it and show it. Give some hours spitting thru the forum :P

Vanja #66

DVB wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 18:07
Ferrari.. Let me have a search where I try to find it and show it. Give some hours spitting thru the forum :P
This?

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

DVB

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 18:09
DVB wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 18:07
This?

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/AAEAAQA ... ZDQzNA.jpg
No, it was smaller. Looking in the SF16h thread atm

DVB

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 16:26
This one

Vanja #66

Yeah, that's the original bat wing. Thanks for reminding me! :) I don't think it has much similarities with last year's W07 "bat cape", it's much smaller, much more aggressive, it's not joined with the nose-cone...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

GM7

The 2018 side view is not perfect but i tried to have a first impression.