2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

Mr Brooksy wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 02:19
netoperek wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 17:34
Robert got some first impression of new car, as FW41 gets some running time on Motorland Aragon today due to Williams filming day. I wonder how many complaints technical department have already heard from Robert ;)
As many as Robert can find I hope. The more quality feedback from a quality driver the better.

If the car is not within 1 sec of the fastest car this year, I think it's going to be another tough season. And Williams need a good season to hold on to Martini... I'm kinda expecting Williams to lose Martini to McLaren now that the key man at Martini is now on that McLaren business advisory group thing (whatever it is).
Oh god. Can you imagine how the Martini stripes married to the Papaya Orange car would look... That would be a clash of colours...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

makecry
makecry

Mr Brooksy wrote:
netoperek wrote:
Robert got some first impression of new car, as FW41 gets some running time on Motorland Aragon today due to Williams filming day. I wonder how many complaints technical department have already heard from Robert ;)
As many as Robert can find I hope. The more quality feedback from a quality driver the better.

If the car is not within 1 sec of the fastest car this year, I think it's going to be another tough season. And Williams need a good season to hold on to Martini... I'm kinda expecting Williams to lose Martini to McLaren now that the key man at Martini is now on that McLaren business advisory group thing (whatever it is).
Who?

Mr Brooksy

makecry wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 05:29
Mr Brooksy wrote:
netoperek wrote:

Who?
https://www.mclaren.com/technologygroup ... e-success/

Look at the list of members... and look at Jaime Bergel - Chairman, Bacardi-Martini SA
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

makecry
makecry

Mr Brooksy wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 09:22
makecry wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 05:29
Mr Brooksy wrote:

Who?
https://www.mclaren.com/technologygroup ... e-success/

Look at the list of members... and look at Jaime Bergel - Chairman, Bacardi-Martini SA
Good find. I am not sure how it will affect sponsorship but I feel like Martini might be getting a better deal at Williams as a title sponsor vs McLaren who will never give them the title sponsor status at the same $$ that Williams does. Maybe the same amount of money will get them a much smaller space on the car. I mean look at Dell or Petrobras right now on McLaren, it's much smaller than I thought it would be.

netoperek
netoperek

I'm affraid even a small space at a McLaren and a commercial with Alonso could possibly provide a better outcome in Martini's view than even a title sponsorship with Williams in mediocre form and current lineup (except for Russian market). Granted, there was a lot of movement in the media lately - mainly due to driver speculations and mythical 25 yo sponsorship rule, but that has now worn out.

Mr Brooksy, it seems film day gave some important information after all. Paddy said yesterday that they managed to find some important issues in a car with Robert behind the wheel. Lance then confirmed that team managed to correct them for today.
It was nice to hear Paddy say that this was another step for Robert in getting back as a race driver :)

Mr Brooksy

netoperek wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 22:59
Mr Brooksy, it seems film day gave some important information after all. Paddy said yesterday that they managed to find some important issues in a car with Robert behind the wheel. Lance then confirmed that team managed to correct them for today.
It was nice to hear Paddy say that this was another step for Robert in getting back as a race driver :)
Thanks for that info! Hugely appreciated, there is precious little info about Williams about at the moment it seems. Everyone's talking McLaren, it's getting old.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

bauc

Breaking news!

Big breaking news: Martini will no longer be a sponsor of Williams following the 2018 season and leave F1
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Uh-oh

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mart ... l-1009390/
When asked to comment, deputy team principal Claire Williams told Motorsport.com: "We have discussed extending beyond 2018.

"While we would both like to do so, the Bacardi Group have told us that they will step away entirely from Formula 1 when our contract expires at the end of this year.

"They have many brands to support and obviously their strategic priorities evolve over time."
Although that makes it sound like they won't be in F1 at all. Think they will change their mind and jump to McLaren?

Then this...
Reportedly, Martini is speaking to other teams about an alternative deal.

shotzski

1158 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 10:12
Uh-oh

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mart ... l-1009390/
When asked to comment, deputy team principal Claire Williams told Motorsport.com: "We have discussed extending beyond 2018.

"While we would both like to do so, the Bacardi Group have told us that they will step away entirely from Formula 1 when our contract expires at the end of this year.

"They have many brands to support and obviously their strategic priorities evolve over time."
Although that makes it sound like they won't be in F1 at all. Think they will change their mind and jump to McLaren?

Then this...
Reportedly, Martini is speaking to other teams about an alternative deal.
It may be quite possible. As the chairman of Bacardi group is part of an business advisory group recently formed at Mclaren.

https://www.pitpass.com/60969/Martini-m ... sory-Group

Yeah, I saw the chatter about it yesterday and the minute II saw the headline I thought I'll bet the go to McLaren somehow.

Step away from F1 entirely my ass... Better enjoy the Papaya Orange while it lasts.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

I'll address the elephant in the room.

One has to wonder if the fact that Williams picked 2 drivers that cannot meet the supposed 25 year old criteria has buried this partnership. If it has does the Sirotkin money seem a good deal now?

Restomaniac wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 11:02

One has to wonder if the fact that Williams picked 2 drivers that cannot meet the supposed 25 year old criteria has buried this partnership. If it has does the Sirotkin money seem a good deal now?
Good thought but could it just be all the talk about pay drivers and the negative publicity? Or maybe a combo of both. Doubt we'll ever know but it sure makes you go hmmmmmm

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

1158 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 11:07
Restomaniac wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 11:02

Good thought but could it just be all the talk about pay drivers and the negative publicity? Or maybe a combo of both. Doubt we'll ever know but it sure makes you go hmmmmmm
Indeed it could have nothing to do with it however as you say it makes you think.

As I say Sirotkin's money less Kubitca's money less Martini's money could leave Williams well out of pocket.

Webber2011
Webber2011

Very interesting turn of events.

I wonder if Williams would have ended up better off financially if they'd have put Kubica in the race seat ?
I mean, if the age limit thing is true, then he would have fit the bill perfectly.

I have no idea how much the Martini money compares to Surotkin's bag of cash, but it does make me wonder ?

Webber2011
Webber2011

Hahaha !

And as per usual, there's a few forum members thinking the same way and beat me to the punch 😂