Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
aleks_ader

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

MrPotatoHead wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 22:01
1158 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 14:10
About this:
7.9 Oil injection
The use of active control valves between any part of the PU and the engine intake air is
forbidden.
What if the variable intake trumpets were used to block/open the feed for the breather line. It would mean having 6 lines, but would it be legal?
I would call that an active control device.
You could construct "faulty" valve or VLIM bearing. And get oil from that, venturi effect just suck it in whatever ratio they set. That would be untraceable. Does FIA do X ray and dyno testing? As i know no.

Problem is just how much oil is enough? 0.9L per 100km is still pretty big isnt it? So what is normal oil consumption? Let say 90%, so they had about 0.3L leeway to use it for combustion purposes. Technically you could made passive passages inside engine block to hide more oil quantity outside FIA tank measurements. It is hard. But i believe with all CFD and fluid dynamics knowledge team operate is doable. You need just ensure weight limit after race and not it made very obvious (1-2kg doesn't matter, but 10kg is a bit stretch to hide).
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

1158 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 13:48
Other than engine sump breather gases, exhaust gas recirculation, and fuel for the normal
purpose of combustion in the engine, the spraying of any substance into the engine intake air
is forbidden.
7.9 Oil injection
The use of active control valves between any part of the PU and the engine intake air is
forbidden.
That tells me you can still run a PCV setup with a passive check valve. You would need to figure out a way to induce a vacuum condition in the intake to get the additives out of the crankcase and into the engine. I'm sure they have...
To me the ruling also implies that the teams last year were either injecting liquid oil into the plenum or they had a heating process to evaporate the cank case oils before snifting it into the intake.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 14:34

To me the ruling also implies that the teams last year were either injecting liquid oil into the plenum or they had a heating process to evaporate the cank case oils before snifting it into the intake.
I was wondering if they just had 2 control valves in a line from the crank case to the plenum. That would allow them to pull in the vapors while in boost without pressurizing the crankcase.

Could they now use a pressure valve that can operate in both directions? Just before they want the extra performance they could hit the crankcase with higher pressure than normal from the plenum. Then when the PU needs the power the pressure bleeds off from the crankcase. I'm not sure how detrimental such a strategy would be, but I would think you could get away with it from time to time.

Edit: I guess these posts really belong in the engine reg thread and not the Ferrari PU thread. I apologize

Sieper

You are right but it also belongs to the engine thread I guess, I am sure exactly this question is what is being worked on by the two upper dogs at this moment, the one who works around it best in their engine (the solution we do now talk about) will qualify best this year.

So I just looked at the regs again and I screwed up some how. I don't know if I was looking at an old version or what (I'm on the same computer and I am using the same bookmarked link)but something went wrong.

5.14.2 for 2018 says
The addition of any substance other than fuel, as described in Article 5.10.3, into the air destined for combustion is forbidden. Exhaust gas recirculation is forbidden.
Again, I apologize for confusion. The only way I see to use any oil or oil vapors for combustion is pressurizing the crankcase and forcing the vapors past the rings. I wonder if a trick ring setup could be designed where pressure can pass from the crankcase to the CC but pressure from the CC can't pass to the crankcase.

PlatinumZealot

Soak the air filter in fuel before qualifying. By the time its over the filter is dry.

Or.
Set a hard varnish of illegal fuel + aditive onto the pistons before each qualfiying. A syringe through the spark plug hole is used to apply the layer to pistons. The layer sets rock hard after 6 hours. The vaporization temperature of this coating is such that it burns after initial combustion. Controlled burning is slow enough to continuously sublime fuel vapours over the qualifying period. The layer would be completely burned off in the first laps of the race leaving no evidence behind. Compression ratio is also reduced slightly by loss the layer but that is not a problem as qualifying pace is no longer needed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MrPotatoHead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 14:34
1158 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 13:48
Other than engine sump breather gases, exhaust gas recirculation, and fuel for the normal
purpose of combustion in the engine, the spraying of any substance into the engine intake air
is forbidden.
7.9 Oil injection
forbidden.
That tells me you can still run a PCV setup with a passive check valve. You would need to figure out a way to induce a vacuum condition in the intake to get the additives out of the crankcase and into the engine. I'm sure they have...
Or they had an active control valve in the breather system that controlled the rate of burn off of oil vapors / fumes.
I would guess this is all there was to "oil burn" and anything else is a stretch and would have already been illegal anyway.

gambler

Good one Platnum ! I think they need to redo the rules under different tiers. Like if say you get caught with a NOS tank strapped to your leg with the hose pointed to the intake, that would be like a felony and you get tossed for the year. But little intpretations like using real bird feathers taped to the wings not so much. What I'm saying is if you are cheating at the expense of the drivers safety (and you are with the fuel soaked air cleaner) the crew,or the spectators, you are done, period.

Morteza

A photo of the 2018 power unit
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

hurril

They change everything every year!

AJI
AJI

Someone help me out here. Is that square box with 12 hand written on it an enormous air-water intercooler?
And is the triangular thing behind it the compressor air intake? Kind of looks like another cooler, but maybe I guess it's filter?

hurril

AJI wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:14
Someone help me out here. Is that square box with 12 hand written on it an enormous air-water intercooler?
And is the triangular thing behind it the compressor air intake? Kind of looks like another cooler, but maybe I guess it's filter?
Yes on the first one, the second thing is most likely the "cooler" for the intercooler.

Steven
Owner

AJI wrote:
Yes. Ferrari have been using such a centrally positioned intercooler since the start of the turbo era.
Check development/21344/internals-of-ferraris ... er-exposed

AJI
AJI

hurril wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:16
AJI wrote:
Yes on the first one, the second thing is most likely the "cooler" for the intercooler.
So, the compressor intake is the tube on the side of tge IC that we see in the picture above?