Paul Ricard testing - May

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vyselegend

Paul Ricard testing - May

Williams testing a new approach of shark - finned engine cover:

And a strange evo for Honda's dumbo ears:

And yet another version:

Mac Laren's High downforce package:

Wow look at the size of their sidepod inlets!

Carbon

Re: Paul Ricard testing - May

=D> Outstanding pics, Vyselegend, keep up the good work! =D>

meves

Williams have been hard at work and have Toyota put larger winglets on the airbox and does the straight wing on the rear of the Honda give more downforce over the "W" wing they used in Turkey? Ferrari have the "Hole" in the nose back again and mclaren have put on some extra wing....

Scotracer

Jesus, look at the sidepod inlets on the MP4/23 :shock:

Was cooling really an issue before? I know the lower speeds of Monaco mean they need more cooling...but damn! Those are bigger than the ones the V10s had. :|
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

tahadar

also williams have been running the wheel covers and 2 small flip-ups on the insides of the pod wings:

vyselegend

Carbon wrote: Outstanding pics, Vyselegend, keep up the good work! =D>
Thanks. :oops:

The truth is that Dutch people rocks! Their websites are consistantly up to date, with loads of pics, accurate timing etc...

Interesting development of Ferrari nose cone with new bits added on the side:

It actually seems the camera wing is symetrically reproduced with endplates added, in the purpose of helping DF. I don't remember from who and when but I think we already saw that during winter test.

Bob Brown

vyselegend wrote:
Carbon wrote: Outstanding pics, Vyselegend, keep up the good work! =D>
Thanks. :oops:

The truth is that Dutch people rocks! Their websites are consistantly up to date, with loads of pics, accurate timing etc...

Interesting development of Ferrari nose cone with new bits added on the side:

It actually seems the camera wing is symetrically reproduced with endplates added, in the purpose of helping DF. I don't remember from who and when but I think we already saw that during winter test.
yea the endplates on teh camera "pods" have been there for over a year now.

vyselegend

Bob Brown wrote:yea the endplates on teh camera "pods" have been there for over a year now.
Indeed. My mistake, I just realized it after posting as I was looking older pics, and went to cancel that post but too late...

BMW are running without the nose horns, strangely. I would have thought they were fit for high DF config, and since HTTT is in Monaco type today, I would bet everyone's on high DF trim...

Ciro Pabón

Regulations force you to allow for several camera positions throughout the car. Isn't this one "wing" another of these positions?
Ciro

rkn

Scarbs mentions a radical rearwing on the Toyota in his technical analysis of the test but I can't find any good pics, can anybody provide a high res image of it?

The analysis: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67413

WhiteBlue

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

guy_smiley

Toyota making use of the inner sidepod vane winglet too...

Why does the airbox winglet on the Toyota look so strange? Is it extending toward the rear of the car? Or is that an optical illusion? I couldn't find more revealing photo...
Smiles all 'round!

mx_tifoso

Force India have removed the little 'winglets' above the suspension mountings which were last seen in Turkey this past weekend. Teams are focusing on Monaco preparation, which requires very high DF, so wouldn't those winglets on the front section of the monocoque provide the extra DF necessary? I guess optimising other areas of the areodynamic package may allow for the removal of these 'winglets'.

And according to many articles Force India have a introduced a new front suspension 'unit' for this test period, although from the pictures I have seen today I cannot tell the difference between the version in Turkey and todays in Paul Ricard (I guess they are very slight and are more or less limited to the interior).

'Guy_smiley', I tried to find clearer views of the airbox winglets on the Toyota, but I couldn't find any that provided a clear but differente angle. So for now we are still left to wonder. Although I imagine that they do not extend back more than a few centimeters, as usual in most applications so far.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Downforce

Close up of Toyota's new rear wing.

Why does the airbox winglet on the Toyota look so strange? Is it extending toward the rear of the car? Or is that an optical illusion? I couldn't find more revealing photo...
There are two winglets on airbox. They added larger ones behind the original winglets. That's creating optical ilusion.

joseff

The Toyota wing should be okay, the slot is in the middle 15cm or so that's not subject to the "2 closed loops" rule. Williams' new "engine cover" has flipups there also.