2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Morteza

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dren

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 19:10
Very basic Mclaren aero is very fast car.....big upgrade package coming to AUS
Blasphemy! Nobody ever brings a sizeable upgrade to the first race... I wouldn't call the Mclaren basic. Look at the Red Bull and Renault. They'll all pretty much show up with upgrades.
Honda!

McMika98
McMika98

Haas on top of midfield. Fastest time posted on supersoft so plenty left in the tank. Really surprised with the development, huge respect to the team who was paid the least last year.
Poor Mclaren in same position as last year and now with stiffer competition. Rear end is prolly going to be compromised come Melbourne, dont expect big updates as front end gains are almost maxed out.

Morteza

This is for test 2
Via @F1debrief
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

DiogoBrand

McLaren less than 6 tenths behind Ferrari with a new engine supplier and all the trouble they had in testing. Gives me hope at a 4th place in constructors.

dren

McMika98 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 19:44
Haas on top of midfield. Fastest time posted on supersoft so plenty left in the tank. Really surprised with the development, huge respect to the team who was paid the least last year.
Poor Mclaren in same position as last year and now with stiffer competition. Rear end is prolly going to be compromised come Melbourne, dont expect big updates as front end gains are almost maxed out.
I'd say Renault is, then Haas. Mclaren still a bit hard to figure out where. They did put in a reasonable quali lap late.
Honda!

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

godlameroso wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:53
Phil wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:44
f1316 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:23
If you're VET and you fit the Medium tyres at 10 laps, you know you need to to do another 52 laps on two stints; if you're BOT, you fit the Mediums at, say, lap 18 (I don't have the numbers), then your next two stints only need to cover 44 laps.
I'll just add something, that you missed:

Vettel did a stint of
SS - 13 laps
M - 27 laps
M - 25 laps

Bottad and Hamilton did a stint of
M - 29 laps
M - 17 laps
M - 19 laps

So yes, you are right, the first stint on a much quicker but less durable tire did compromise his 2nd and 3rd stint relative to the Mercedes, but you can still compare Bottas and Hamilton's lap from lap 14 to 29 - then you can compare the Mercedes on (at that point) 13 laps old tires vs Vettel on new & fresh M tires on the same fuel load. That should be comparable, as Bottas and Hamiltons first stint was aiming to do 29 laps on a much heavier car than Vettel on his 2nd stint but comparable laps. So in theory, Vettels stint and times should compare favorably assuming a similar fast car.

Yet comparing these laps, Vettel is at best equal or slower (especially than Hamilton who dips into high 21 times).

I believe dans already did that in his post.
I'm not sure the fuel load is the same, remember last year Mercedes needed less fuel to do a race distance than everyone else. Secondly, one does not need the full 105kg to do the race distance, so it's very possible that fuel levels could be obfuscating true pace. A 30kg difference in fuel is worth ~1 second of lap time. Vettel mentioned he had plenty of fuel left over after his race sim, which could easily explain the lack of pace relative to Mercedes if they only added enough to do the race sim.
"Vettel mentioned he had plenty of fuel left over after his race sim, which could easily explain the lack of pace relative to Mercedes if they only added enough to do the race sim."

Source please on Vettels comment?

I Agree, this can easily explain the lack of pace for Ferrari.

lawnmower
lawnmower

Do you know Alonso's sector time of 1:16.720 lap?

GM7

Global test conclusion after day 8 :

i'm going to post a more complet analyse on the pecking order thread.

dren

Ferrari is the only car to end the race sim with extra fuel. All of the other cars instantly run out of fuel when they finally pit. Ferrari even drives around with extra ballast and used their 2014 PU. Only Ferrari can prevent forest fires.
Honda!

dren wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:03
Ferrari is the only car to end the race sim with extra fuel. All of the other cars instantly run out of fuel when they finally pit. Ferrari even drives around with extra ballast and used their 2014 PU. Only Ferrari can prevent forest fires.
It looks like a rolling forest fire :lol:

Sieper

dren wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:03
This is too understated, I read they already run on fumes when they LEAVE the pitbox, the car is just so fuel efficient!

Mansell89
Mansell89

Can someone try and context Alonso final quick lap for me?

Guessing it was likely to be a low fuel run in comparison to the other McLaren times this week, so do we think we can compare it like for like with Ferrari’s speed or is it likely Ferrari may have had extra fuel or holding back?

I’d be happy if it’s like for like as I was expecting McLaren to be over a second behind the front runners the way things were unfolding

George-Jung
George-Jung

Could it be that Ferrari had plenty on fuel on board- but only cranked up the power, to test ‘full power’.. without telling too much?

Jambier

According Pirelli:

Medium
Soft -0.8s
SuperSoft -0.4s
UltraSoft -0.6s
HyperSoft -0.7s

But keep in mind that in general, it does not sum up.
And some cars prefers some tyres, I assume that Mercedes will often race on an harder compound than Ferrari.