2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
HPD

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Alonso suffers Hondafobia :lol:

It is almost confirmed that we are going to use 4 or 5 engines this year :!:
Tost: "There will come the period where we have to find out if is it better to start with a new power unit from the back instead of using an engine that will have 3000-4000 kilometres on it, and you start losing power after one or two hundred kilometres," he told Autosport.

"So we will see. But I can tell you now that we will have this discussion. I don't know when, but we will have it."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13480 ... -penalties

techman

i personally hope honda decides to bring 5 engines taking engine changes. nothing to loose here. torro rosso top speed is good. hopefully torro rosso will make it more efficienty and with a new engine it always be better power than a old unit.

Sayeman

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 10:40
marvin78 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 10:38
They can interpolate it. They took the engines apart to look at the parts. It IS testing. I would not assume that Honda has lost all the reliability problems but those changes are not unusual and not an indicator for any problems. I also think that others do so. It's a normal and not unusual procedure.

You are just to obsessed with Honda. Move on.
I am not, i am just glad Mclaren is not working whit this once great company.
We are glad Honda is not working anymore with this once great company who have been suffering from mediocrity looooong before even Honda came along.
Never Give up.

techman

We are glad Honda is not working anymore with this once great company who have been suffering from mediocrity for long time before even Honda came along.
:lol:

GoranF1

Sayeman wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:56
GoranF1 wrote:
marvin78 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 10:38
They can interpolate it. They took the engines apart to look at the parts. It IS testing. I would not assume that Honda has lost all the reliability problems but those changes are not unusual and not an indicator for any problems. I also think that others do so. It's a normal and not unusual procedure.

You are just to obsessed with Honda. Move on.
We are glad Honda is not working anymore with this once great company who have been suffering from mediocrity looooong before even Honda came along.
in 2012 Mclaren won many races, Honda won 30 years ago and chickend out of F1 3 times in the meanwhile.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

dren

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 13:23
Sayeman wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:56
GoranF1 wrote:

in 2012 Mclaren won many races, Honda won 30 years ago and chickend out of F1 3 times in the meanwhile.
The last race Honda won was 12 years ago as a constructor.
Honda!

aral

Why is it impossible for you guys to stick to the topic? And when one person comes on the stir things up, you resort to posting contra arguments yourselves. So you are actually exacerbating the problem. Just report the post and positive action will be taken .

etusch

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:38
I don't think anyone can in good faith criticize Honda's approach towards this test. Even during the Mclaren days they usually had different specs for the winter tests, week one and two. I know they did this in 2016 and 2017, with much less success. This time they used 3 engines, which I'm fairly confident were 3 different specs. They did this deliberately and with excellent results reliability wise, so progress all round.
I wonder what engine they will use first part of season and will there be power difference compared to test engines

loner

what you saw in testing week 2 which hit 324.2 is what you will see in Australia PU wise ..later on during the season i assume the PU which hit 333.3 will be used after they increase its reliability perhaps performance as well.
thats my own take about first week weird PU changing feast
para bellum.

Ground Effect

loner wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 17:59
what you saw in testing week 2 which hit 324.2 is what you will see in Australia PU wise ..later on during the season i assume the PU which hit 333.3 will be used after they increase its reliability perhaps performance as well.
thats my own take about first week weird PU changing feast
To cover all bases, was it confirmed that the 333.3 top speed was without a tow?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McMika98

All speed around 330 and above are due to tow/slipstream. Just check the speed trap figures from quali and race and its clear even Merc with magic quali mode does less than 325 max.

Marti_EF3

What we don't know for sure, is if the current AUS spec engine have a quali mode on the maping. Anyone from Honda or Wazari said it?? It would be interesting, because I have my doubts they've used it on testing. It was more like they wanted long runs, race sim and learn about the car instead of doing quali or fast laps...

amho

Marti_EF3 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 19:30
What we don't know for sure, is if the current AUS spec engine have a quali mode on the maping. Anyone from Honda or Wazari said it?? It would be interesting, because I have my doubts they've used it on testing. It was more like they wanted long runs, race sim and learn about the car instead of doing quali or fast laps...
wazari said they have q-mode but it's not about special combustion, just special harvesting and deployment.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

Marti_EF3

amho wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 20:23
Marti_EF3 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 19:30
wazari said they have q-mode but it's not about special combustion, just special harvesting and deployment.
That's interesting... A Q-Mode based on the ERS and not on the engine itself... We will see if it works good...

On the aero side, it's something to come too? Or only some minor upgrades?

Marti_EF3

From a Spanish F1 website, I hope the translation is good enough.

Honda has changed team to motorize between 2017 and 2018, but it has not been the only thing that has changed this winter in the structure of the Japanese motorist. Yusuke Hasegawa stopped being the project's top director, so that Toyoharu Tanabe becomes the technical director at the track and Yasuaki Asaki is in charge of the research and development at Sakura's factory.
On the other hand, the role of general director of competition of Honda has remained in the figure of Masashi Yamamoto, who believes that these changes have already work, and that is clear with the development and the way of approaching the development philosophy in this 2018.

"Tanabe was in F1 in previous stages, and recently led the IndyCar project, so he has a lot of experience in track operations, his leadership style is to go inside the engineer room and collect the information to make decisions, before wait for the information to be reported to him.

On the other hand, Yamamoto also praised the figure of Asaki, claiming that he has experience directing other Honda projects and that he trusts in his criteria for selecting priorities for the organization.

"Asaki is a leader who has been in charge of other projects at Honda with great success in the past, always making the best decisions in terms of priorities, eliminating what is not so good for us." In Sakura he has already been ordering all the development and making the decision on what we will focus on, as a result, we are putting more resources into a project that will help us develop faster, "said Yamamoto.

Tanabe, for his part, has confirmed that his intention is to be close to the Honda and Toro Rosso engineers in the team of people traveling to all the races, more involved with them than Hasegawa was, given that he had other responsibilities that they stopped him, and now covers Asaki.

"I will be on the circuits, I think that to improve performance, Sakura's team needs accurate and detailed information from the track, which is a priority, we give them information so they can react quickly and identify priorities," concludes Tanabe.
http://soymotor.com/noticias/honda-deta ... ido-946778