2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SameSame

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Mr.G wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 23:35
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 23:02
Mr.G wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 21:08
There is footage of the Vettel's fastest lap on the youtube, can some of the experts there watch the video and let us know what are they observations? If was Vettel pushing crazy hard or not? I'm not an expert but for me the lap doesn't look like he is driving on the edge. Also the engine doesn't seem like it on the peek power...
It's not an ideal video because there's none of the useful telemetry in it. However, if he's taking it gently, he's using a lot of kerb on exit and he's on the throttle very early in the corners. It certainly doesn't look very sandbaggy, anyway. There is some short shifting in places but I think that is normal these days because the PUs are so powerful. It's very tidy but then Vettel is one of those drivers who can pull out a very fast, very tidy lap.
Thanks, this is the type of answer I was looking for... Would you agree it was good "racing" lap but not exactly "qualification" lap? Kimi did a very similar lap, so Vettel probably still have some tenths reserved...
It appears as if the left front tyre was already blistered before the lap even started. I don't think that he had a brand new set on for that lap. I think he also slightly lifted through the fast right hander (T9/T10?) which suggests to me he had fuel on board as if I am not mistaken last year they were able to take it flat with harder tyres. Definitely more time to come from the car if you ask me.

timbo

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

About that lap, one thing to note is the tires' condition. Front left looks already quite worn at the start of the lap. I think there was some time to gain if he had used a fresh set.

ripper

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vettel did his best lap on the sixth lap of a a seven laps stint. He already did a 1:17.3 before.

Raikkonen did his best lap on second lap of a eight laps stint.

So Vettel could have done better with fresher tyres and Raikkonen had fuel for some more laps. Of course i don't know if they had even more fuel onboard.

LM10

ripper wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 13:21
Vettel did his best lap on the sixth lap of a a seven laps stint. He already did a 1:17.3 before.

Raikkonen did his best lap on second lap of a eight laps stint.

So Vettel could have done better with fresher tyres and Raikkonen had fuel for some more laps. Of course i don't know if they had even more fuel onboard.
Vettel went 2 times through the pit lane without going to the box. That was being interpreted from the liveticker on AMuS. So he made about 15 laps at least on the same tyres and without refueling.
Still, media almost pictures the fast laps of Ferrari as if they were on quali-mode with fresh tyres and least possible fuel on board. :)

Vasconia

The car seems to be fast on qualy and Vettel´s lap indicates that there is more pace to show but the problema is, has this car a fuel consumption problem?. It must be the reason why the Ferrari looked so slow in comparison to Ferrari. What do you think guys?

ripper

I honestly think that Ferrari has to play defensively until PU upgrade. Current PU is called 062 EVO, so I guess that something went bad since oil ban/reliability problem/last PU evolution that caused Sassi removal.

So they had to scrap some months of evolution and start 2018 with an evolution of an "old" PU. I hope that "real" 063 PU performs better.

I don't know chassis-wise, Mercedes looks better and they still are in best position for WCC&WDC

Vasconia

ripper wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 16:12
I honestly think that Ferrari has to play defensively until PU upgrade. Current PU is called 062 EVO, so I guess that something went bad since oil ban/reliability problem/last PU evolution that caused Sassi removal.

So they had to scrap some months of evolution and start 2018 with an evolution of an "old" PU. I hope that "real" 063 PU performs better.

I don't know chassis-wise, Mercedes looks better and they still are in best position for WCC&WDC
Do you know when the new PU is expected to come? I didnt know that this current PU was not completely new...

Chasis wise, I think Ferrari has a great one so they need to sort out those PU problems.

LM10

ripper wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 16:12

Good point. I also asked myself why Ferrari didn't go the same path as Mercedes building a completely new engine. At the day of the launch i read an article about the new car. It said that Ferrari's new chief engine designer Corrado Iotti is working on a new cylinder head concept which could be implemented in one of the upcoming PU upgrades. The article told that this way Ferrari wants to eliminate the advantage of Mercedes in qualifying. However, it didn't tell anything regarding fuel consumption, but of course this will be an aspect Ferrari will try to improve too.

adrianjordan

Does anyone think tge FIA ia going to crack down on the amount of oil smoke being produced by the Ferrari powered cars? Doesn't look great for a sport that's trying to appear green with hybrid engines etc and certainly can't be healthy for the mechanics etc.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Godius

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 10:01
Does anyone think tge FIA ia going to crack down on the amount of oil smoke being produced by the Ferrari powered cars? Doesn't look great for a sport that's trying to appear green with hybrid engines etc and certainly can't be healthy for the mechanics etc.
I was wondering about this issue as well. I've concerns regarding heavy oil or other engine grease buildup on cars that drive behind Ferrari powered cars. Too much oil spillage on the track and other cars can bring out the red and yellow striped flag quite quickly.

F1NAC

Nice flow-wiz there :D

another thing. I was watching Seb's onboard lap, and it seems that Ferrari can't take T9 flat. hmm

munudeges

Those laps of Ferrari worry me, because they smack of glory runs.

amho

F1NAC wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 17:00
Nice flow-wiz there :D

another thing. I was watching Seb's onboard lap, and it seems that Ferrari can't take T9 flat. hmm
Which cars were flat on throttle during T9?
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

F1NAC

Aldo Costa and Hamilton himself said that he was able to take it flat

falonso81

Perhaps he had more fuel on board? We will find out when Barcelona GP comes.