McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
604gtir

Re: McLaren MCL33

BrunoH wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 22:50
lack of top speed even with DRS....
also i have the suspicion that they did not use the S-duct to reduce further drag
so you have factual hard data regarding every teams test plans?

you have no idea where drivers are lifting, which drivers are lifting, how much power people are running, what people are testing but you can come up with a conclusions based on 2 pieces of information. seems credible.

Xero

BrunoH wrote:
also i have the suspicion that they did not use the S-duct to reduce further drag
Lack of speed due to tuning the PU down, as per Renault's recommendations. No point running the s-duct in that configuration. Also allows them to evaluate the base car with less variables. Furthermore, if McLaren's upgrade is as big as expected for Aus, then that whole section of the car could be totally different. All educated guesses I know, but let's not jump to conclusions, especially with the tired and old draggy aero argument.

radosav

Maybe they simulated downforce levels that they expect from aus aero update.

makecry

radosav wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 00:53
Yeah you can't "Simulate" downforce without an actual hardware. It's not a video game.

radosav

makecry wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 01:19
radosav wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 00:53
Yeah you can't "Simulate" downforce without an actual hardware. It's not a video game.
I mean they used draggy downforce to reach levels of not draggy downforce from aus aero update to see how suspension behaves through corners etc...
Maybe..

ollandos

the highest top speed for mclaren in test it was 325.x from alonso ...the day with swap with stoffel and drive for the last 2-3 hours...last year with honda it was 315.x

DiogoBrand

I knew that Ferrari had taken inspiration from McLaren's slotted nose pillars, but only now I saw that they also have slotted elements on their front wing, just like McLaren. So since Honda joined, we saw their s-duct, wing slots and nose pillars copied, and also I think they were the first to have the fins on the outside of the rear wing endplates (correct me if I'm wrong).

All of that to me indicates that their aero department is on the right direction, perhaps with proper power we could see some good results.

Jef Patat

BrunoH wrote:
Please... before rambling on at least try to understand what parts are for. An S-duct reduces drag by energizing the flow around the step in the nose. This is a good explanation. Be sure to check all three pages:

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/8277-tech-an ... -duct.html

toraabe

BrunoH wrote:
More rake, lower topspeed

aral

General comments and disputes about the effects of rake are not car specific and should be discussed on the aero forum.

Egresi Tamás

Jackles-UK

Interesting to see the hot air exits on the Merc engined cars appear far smaller than their competitors despite putting out the highest power.

Any ideas why the McLaren ones are situated so much higher up than all the others (they're actually level with the exhaust tip)? Given the issues with cooling around this area in testing I wouldn't be surprised to see this area of the engine cover altered for Melbourne.

DiogoBrand

Jackles-UK wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 01:21
Interesting to see the hot air exits on the Merc engined cars appear far smaller than their competitors despite putting out the highest power.

Any ideas why the McLaren ones are situated so much higher up than all the others (they're actually level with the exhaust tip)? Given the issues with cooling around this area in testing I wouldn't be surprised to see this area of the engine cover altered for Melbourne.
I would guess that they're that high to allow more air to flow underneath the exits and on top of the diffuser.

ringo

Jackles-UK wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 01:21

well there you go, less cooling is as a result of the power going to the crankshaft and not as rejected heat.
efficiency equals power in this formula.

Can we say if this car failed to meet targets at this stage?
Would be interesting to see how far off redbull it is.
For Sure!!

f1rules

a very nice angle here that shows exactly what mclaren gain from their different rear suspension, beside an undisturbed area around the brake-ducts and all the winglets surrounding it, they get a complete clean flow near the floor around the sidepods into the central diffuser, worth noticing also, mclaren with their diffuser has the lowest "cut" of all teams in the central spoon shape to allow air from the top to pass through

going through all the test pics so far, with flowvis and everything, they really seem extraordinary comitted to sealing the diffuser and extracting the most of it, add to that, that they are able to run the fw visibly closer to the ground during load, then other teams, i really am quiet optimistic about this car even it havent shown a lot of pace so far

And the sealing

the rear incl central part, disregard the numbers

lastly they moved the lower arms so close together they basicly work as one big flow conditioner, especially the front pickup point has been moved back to achive this but also for not to disturb the airflow further forward, i think

Compared to renault where the suspension arm pickup point is more forward

My main worry is if the agressive mclaren rear suspension is mechanically good enough, or to big a compromise has been made to accomodate aero